Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th July 2017, 23:11   #1
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Default Black Smoke on hard accelleration or under load

My car runs an absolute dream, has 160 remap and have just completed 3K round trip to Algarve achieving 43.5mpg at a fairly rapid pace and fully loaded which I think is acceptable for an auto. Mileage 128K

My problem, as the title suggests, is a black smokescreen when I boot it hard which clears as soon as I ease to cruising. This is also noticeable when under load towing my caravan. I can be climbing an incline at steady throttle and all is ok, if I put on a bit more power I get black smoke, ease off and it disappears, on and it returns.

I have had this problem more or less since I had the car at 92K (pre remap), there has always been a soot mark on the rear bumper after a long run. I would certainly have failed the last 3 MOT's on smoke emissions had it not been for a 'friendly' tester.

I have done all the usual items, new MAF (didn't real need it), upgraded PCV, cleaned out EGR & manifold, I/C hose all good new 'O' rings fitted, new air filter, fuel filter, replace stat & water pump (engine now runs correct temp).

Not sure where to look next, as stated the car runs really well but given the focus now on diesel emissions I am thinking that my MOT man may not be able to be so 'friendly' in future so need to try and sort this.

Maybe a T4 health check? Nothing showed up on remap at c96K.

Any suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 23:33   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Most of the diesels smoke a some stage of accelerating, makes little if any changes if you run it on Shell or other proper fuels against cheap supermarket fuel. The power upgrade will make more smoke due to elevated fuel pressures and greater amounts of fuel injected, and as you clearly have done most of the obvious fixes, there is one that not many have spoken about.
It is not uncommon for the turbo seals to allow a small amount of oil through to the lower hose attached to the intercooler, this is again quite normal and no real problems to the car, but the long term effect is this.....
The intercooler has a small puddle of oil at the bottom, when the charge is generated by the turbo unit, it enters the intercooler, whips up a nice oil contaminated mist collectively with the hot gasses and then is introduced into the inlet tract and then off it goes into the engine and becomes burnt causing noticeable smoke.
This is worsened by the fact that the intercooler internals are heavily coated in oil from many years of punishment of hot gasses and oil mist. The efficiency of the cooler is marred and the engine fueling will be right but the gasses will contaminate everything it travels through ! On my car which has the 160 and also a synergy 2a on mid settings smokes fairly well under heavy load usage, the plan is to remove the intercooler and clean out with brake cleaner thoroughly, This will enable fresh intake gasses cooled properly.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but you did ask for info !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:39   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Thanks for that info, problem with intercooler had crossed my mind but more on the basis of having a leak, hadn't thought about oil contamination choking it up.

First chance I get I will strip it off and give it a good clean.

Thanks again for the 'heads up'
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
Old 20th July 2017, 20:26   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The main reason a car produces smoke is if there is insufficient air to completely combust the fuel being injected.

Prime suspects are intercooler hoses, o rings and associated pipework.

That is not to discount other variable such as injector spray patterns, MAF sensors etc etc etc.

It is fairly easy to pinpoint any deficiency using the live data from T4, but running a finger under the intercooler hose at the bottom is a good start

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 20:52   #5
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Thanks Brian,
I'll have a feel under the pipe tomorrow although it all seems generally dry around the joints.
It's a while back now but Terry at TS autos fitted viton rings to the intercooler hose (adding a 3rd) after I found a Spanish garage had thrown it back together after fitting a new rad. He (Terry) commented that the intercooler hose, whilst intact, was quite soft, I assumed that it was probably silicone but am now wondering whether that's distorting.
Maybe it will need PhilT4 to give it another check, not sure whether he is back in action, I did read that he was not so well. The frustrating thing is that it runs so well but it's obviously not right.
Thanks again for your input.
Tony
Old 20th July 2017, 23:42   #6
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

I put the intercooler o rings in, and fitted them in from the top (bonnet), and thought I did a "sound job".
However, when I had the bumper and slam panel off to check play in the rad fan, I noticed the elbow must have rotated a bit, even though the securing bolt was in place, because the top o-ring had partially popped out and was showing on one side.
Put it all back together, from the front, and all is good again.
I'm just cursing myself that I didn't remember to put a self tapper in thru the elbow when I was at it.🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 00:33   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Tony.
You are not far from our nano meets, there is one this weekend drop in and have your car put on the T4 FOC for an health check at the same time get the hoses checked out etc cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 07:45   #8
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Hi Arctic,
Thanks for that. Would Saturday after lunch be a good time? Never been to a Nano meet before.
Tony
Old 21st July 2017, 08:29   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Hi Arctic,
Thanks for that. Would Saturday after lunch be a good time? Never been to a Nano meet before.
Tony
HI Tony
Any time you like we start at 10.00 after breakfast in the pub, by lunch time the weather might be a be better we do have event tents though that the T4 is under and another large tent that two cars can get under at one time, but hey the sun will be shining

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 21:25   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Also have a look at your air filter.