Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th July 2017, 18:37   #1
mredowns

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Default 75 decides to jump into a field

My 52 plate (BG52UGM) diesel tourer was almost through a long sweeping corner 2 weeks back when it decide agriculture was better. It spun 90' and slid across the wide dry, and luckily empty, A road. Then rolled over and leapt into a field. ending up the right way up and on an electric fence. No one hurt.
I admit that for the last 2 weeks I had thought I must have done something wrong, but the more I talk to folk about it and read about other problems, the more I suspect it was a suspension failure. The tyres were intact but the washer bottle and lots of other "wing stuff" were scattered around. I admit I did not study the wreck being glad to have missed the big tree and be alive although bruised.
I'd had the coild replaced a few months earlier after one split a tyre reversing slowly. The tyres and tracking were new. I'd had all suspension checked several times after a few suspicious noises. I think it may have been a rubber bush on the lower strut (?) which held the brake caliper in place, but don't really know.
The point of the posting is to encourage anyone in my situation, with suspicious noises, not to trust that everything is solid because nothing moves when the car is on a ramp and to consider getting all bushes replaced.
Bye
I
mredowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 19:21   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredowns View Post
My 52 plate (BG52UGM) diesel tourer was almost through a long sweeping corner 2 weeks back when it decide agriculture was better. It spun 90' and slid across the wide dry, and luckily empty, A road. Then rolled over and leapt into a field. ending up the right way up and on an electric fence. No one hurt.
I admit that for the last 2 weeks I had thought I must have done something wrong, but the more I talk to folk about it and read about other problems, the more I suspect it was a suspension failure. The tyres were intact but the washer bottle and lots of other "wing stuff" were scattered around. I admit I did not study the wreck being glad to have missed the big tree and be alive although bruised.
I'd had the coild replaced a few months earlier after one split a tyre reversing slowly. The tyres and tracking were new. I'd had all suspension checked several times after a few suspicious noises. I think it may have been a rubber bush on the lower strut (?) which held the brake caliper in place, but don't really know.
The point of the posting is to encourage anyone in my situation, with suspicious noises, not to trust that everything is solid because nothing moves when the car is on a ramp and to consider getting all bushes replaced.
Bye
I
Were the tyres still inflated after? (maybe you are not aware). When I was younger and less experienced, I had a soft rear tyre (around 15psi). Travelling in a housing estate at no more than 20 mph, there was a gentle left right kink in the road. After the left, I was turning gently on the gentle right, and the rear stepped out. Nothing serious or dangerous, but enough as a young driver to say 'wow that was cool' followed by an imaginary self pat on the back 'for holding it' lol.

Obviously there was something wrong, and checking the four corners, the left rear tyre was soft. So before going to the garage to get some air, I turned and had another go lol. I was younger remember! But it did the same thing. Put air in it, and came back, but the car was fine after that.

Point of the above really, is it possible that you lost a little or all air in the tyre as you were in the bend? I imagine in the above situation I was in, if I had been travelling even at 30 mph, the car would have spun out.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 20:21   #3
mredowns

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Default possible

Thanks. As you guess I really don't know what the pressures were like when it spun. It drove perfectly before that and they were correct a couple of days before. However, the idea that a rear tyre lost pressure causing the crash is another one to consider, although why and what one could do to avoid it only add to general concern.
Old 12th July 2017, 20:31   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

How about broken spring, punctures tyre, loss of control
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 20:34   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hmm, a difficult one to call without seeing the damaged car, gut feeling is saying blown tyre or a seriously weakened suspension arm at the rear.

Glad you made it out ok to tell the tale
Old 12th July 2017, 20:35   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredowns View Post
Thanks. As you guess I really don't know what the pressures were like when it spun. It drove perfectly before that and they were correct a couple of days before. However, the idea that a rear tyre lost pressure causing the crash is another one to consider, although why and what one could do to avoid it only add to general concern.
For me there was no warning. As I was young, and the offending tyre was on the opposite side to me, I did not see it being soft. The car drove normally too beforehand. I have never experienced sudden suspension failure except the common front broken spring, and it along with any other sudden failure I imagine, would go with a bang. ie you would hear it. Possibly though, I imagine if the seals went on a shock, you would not hear much, maybe a clunk when it hit its limit. Likewise a clunk if a rubber bush completely failed and detached.

As far as how you could have prevented it, I imagine if it was a puncture you would not have been able to do anything.

Another potential failure (long shot really) is the friction material coming off a brake shoe and wedging itself into the drum. Likely prior to this you would have heard a constant grinding/scoring noise.

There are many possibilities, but if I was wanting to try to find out myself, I would be starting to look at the rear corner opposite to the direction of the bend you were about to turn. ie if you were about to turn right, check the left rear, and vice versa if turning left.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 20:47   #7
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

I always insist on decent tyres of the same make all the way round. It is expensive but I made sure mine had new tyres fitted under a year of ownership(all Yokohama BluEarth AE50) and in a few incidences has stopped me from smashing up my car. I understand the suspension didn't help but I am glad you are ok
Old 12th July 2017, 20:57   #8
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

What about oil or fuel on the road? Lorries can leave a little diesel on bends and can be difficult to see. I was following a BMW once, that swapped ends and spun off the road, I just touched the brakes and felt the ABS cut in, so obviously a slippery surface but you couldn't see anything.
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 21:29   #9
mredowns

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Thanks all.
The tyres were all in good condition, almost new, and all looked inflated when it was in the field. The road was dry (I did check).
This is why I came to think about the rubber bushes, where decay (ageing?) are not obvious in contrast to loose nuts etc.
Old 13th July 2017, 07:22   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGjim View Post
What about oil or fuel on the road? Lorries can leave a little diesel on bends and can be difficult to see. I was following a BMW once, that swapped ends and spun off the road, I just touched the brakes and felt the ABS cut in, so obviously a slippery surface but you couldn't see anything.
That was my immediate thought - a diesel spill is a distinct possibility
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote