Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2017, 17:15   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Hmm, I've been recommended a Circoli pump for a V6 but your post makes me wonder (leaking pump is even more of a problem on a V6!).

How to know what brand to trust
ruville are an expensive pump.think ive seen them on mr auto as an option for kv6 waterpumps. does anyone have any experience on these ? do we know their origin and what vehicles they are used in ? when doing this job nobody wants to go back in there a short while after doing the whole kit renewal. so price is not really an issue here in terms of practicality. i would willingly pay more for a top quality pump and have peace of mind and reliability and im sure many others would too. maybe its something mat could do some research on as an alternative more expensive option for us as its not a 10 minute fix is it !! we are all in the same boat here and i tried to raise this issue on here earlier but had next to no response. its of more concern to those of us who use these cars as a daily drive rather than a weekend treat ! could you do some research mat maybe ?
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:56   #12
markst

rover 75

in my case i haven't had a problem with leaks. the origional didnt leak untill the bearing literally collasped and that was only at about 80 k miles and the same happened with the last one only lasted around 15k and was no signs of leaks but suddenly noisy for a day or 2 then the bearing collasped again enough to through off belt....the tensioners are auto adjust but seem to be really tight to me wonder if that puts stress on bearing.. havent had any problems with other aux pulley bearings so i suppose it cant be that... as previously mentioned must be just luck if you get a pump that lasts. i would be ok with 60k to be honest as by that time the coolant system could do with a fluid change but less than 20k is very unlucky!!
markst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 16:09   #13
Glen B
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
It is an automatic tensioner that isn't adjustable - all I did was pull it back to release the belt and then the same again to put the new belt on after the pump was changed.
I have a 2003 cdt and the water pump seems to be leaking from the seal to the engine. I had local garage replace my last one in July 2014 at 172,000 miles after it seized and snapped the belt. Luckily I got it home ok. The pump, supplied by the garage, has only done 20,000 miles. I thought about doing it myself but I can,t see how i,m going to get at it as there is hardly any gap to get spanners or sockets in. Should I supply them a genuine Rover one when I take it to the garage? The mechanic has been ok with me taking other Rover parts before for other jobs.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 22:00   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ruville are connected to INA, a good company.
Old 17th April 2017, 22:04   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Only fit genuine water pumps, its not worth saving a few £ on something that could prematurely fail.
Old 17th April 2017, 22:45   #16
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Seems like Genuine at the moment is BGA, but it depends who Xpart chooses - but I thought at one point 'Genuine' pumps had plastic impellers which are not thought to be the best idea?

Unfortunately I have become skeptical of 'Genuine' parts after I bought some Genuine rear dampers which were clearly not the same as factory fitted, one was faulty upon opening the box and the other failed prematurely in use (original were Delphi but these were visibly different).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 22:50   #17
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
ruville are an expensive pump.think ive seen them on mr auto as an option for kv6 waterpumps. does anyone have any experience on these ? do we know their origin and what vehicles they are used in ? when doing this job nobody wants to go back in there a short while after doing the whole kit renewal. so price is not really an issue here in terms of practicality. i would willingly pay more for a top quality pump and have peace of mind and reliability and im sure many others would too. maybe its something mat could do some research on as an alternative more expensive option for us as its not a 10 minute fix is it !! we are all in the same boat here and i tried to raise this issue on here earlier but had next to no response. its of more concern to those of us who use these cars as a daily drive rather than a weekend treat ! could you do some research mat maybe ?
Totally agree.

Given the cost of the parts for doing cambelts (& tappets which I'm doing at same time) the extra isn't a big factor in the grand scheme of things.

I seriously don't want to have to touch any of the belts etc again for another 6 years.

The pump which was fitted 6 years is OK, but if I bought the same brand now how would I know it would be as good? That brand may now be getting the pumps from a cheaper source.

I don't believe that all the different brands have their own pump manufacturing facilities and make them themselves, I am sure most of these brands buy the pumps for different companies that actually do the manufacturing. How to know who to trust?
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 00:07   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Totally agree.

Given the cost of the parts for doing cambelts (& tappets which I'm doing at same time) the extra isn't a big factor in the grand scheme of things.

I seriously don't want to have to touch any of the belts etc again for another 6 years.

The pump which was fitted 6 years is OK, but if I bought the same brand now how would I know it would be as good? That brand may now be getting the pumps from a cheaper source.

I don't believe that all the different brands have their own pump manufacturing facilities and make them themselves, I am sure most of these brands buy the pumps for different companies that actually do the manufacturing. How to know who to trust?
just further food for thought what pumps do toyota/lexus/honda use ... or are they in house made ? they dont seem to have this pump failure problem.or maybe its because of the rover set up being under more pressure from timing belts than an auxillary drive ... who knows ? ......
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 07:25   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
just further food for thought what pumps do toyota/lexus/honda use ... or are they in house made ? they dont seem to have this pump failure problem.or maybe its because of the rover set up being under more pressure from timing belts than an auxillary drive ... who knows ? ......
The OP has a diesel which is driven from an auxillary drive belt, and the original pumps they come with do last well. I would have thought more due to design quality than which belt drives it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
I have a 2003 cdt and the water pump seems to be leaking from the seal to the engine. I had local garage replace my last one in July 2014 at 172,000 miles after it seized and snapped the belt. Luckily I got it home ok. The pump, supplied by the garage, has only done 20,000 miles. I thought about doing it myself but I can,t see how i,m going to get at it as there is hardly any gap to get spanners or sockets in. Should I supply them a genuine Rover one when I take it to the garage? The mechanic has been ok with me taking other Rover parts before for other jobs.

As mentioned even genuine Rover parts may not have the build quality of the original ones, but I don't know of anything better.

If your pump is leaking from the facejoint with the engine though it sounds more like a fitting fault than the pump itself. The original gasket seals that complete end of the engine when built up at the factory, and you have to cut the tabs to remove the old part of it that seals the water pump before fitting the new gasket.

Maybe your garage didn't realise this, or didn't clean the face up properly?

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th April 2017 at 07:37..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 08:33   #20
Glen B
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The OP has a diesel which is driven from an auxillary drive belt, and the original pumps they come with do last well. I would have thought more due to design quality than which belt drives it though.

As mentioned even genuine Rover parts may not have the build quality of the original ones, but I don't know of anything better.

If your pump is leaking from the facejoint with the engine though it sounds more like a fitting fault than the pump itself. The original gasket seals that complete end of the engine when built up at the factory, and you have to cut the tabs to remove the old part of it that seals the water pump before fitting the new gasket.

Maybe your garage didn't realise this, or didn't clean the face up properly?

Thanks for your replies. The pump has been on for 3 years and only started leaking a month or so again. I noticed because, unusually, I was having to put a small amount of water in every week or so. The local garage I go to has one mechanic who is late 20s and an mot inspector. The mechanic said it was a difficult job due to lack of space but surely it would of leaked earlier if fitted wrong. I,ll phone Rimmers about a genuine pump unless anyone knows anyone better. Thanks.

Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote