Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2017, 18:46   #1
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Default Drum brakes-Rover 45.

Although not a 75, A lot on here drive 45's and zs's as well.

I have spent the last few months almost rebuilding my car of 7 years for my daughters to learn to drive in.

Welded the chassis, new radiator, complete service, wire brushed the suspension and undercarriage, sprayed it with hammerite and under-sealed it.

Removed the brakes, discs and front caliphers and skimmed any surface rust in the lathe.

Even had the sump off to weld a pin hole in it.

Failed the MOT for unbalance in the rear brakes-hand and foot brake, with the only advisory been the under-sealing and a slight exhaust leak at the joint.

Even with new shoes on the back and everything seemingly working as it should the rear LH brake is not working (26% on retest) on both hand and foot brakes. Wheel cylinders are free, pressure is there and plenty of movement in the handbrake cable??

I have ordered a new wheel cylinder as well as a new shoe adjuster.

Any advice or experience with this at all?

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 21:01   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Yes Craig I have seen it where the toothed quadrant on the auto adjusting expander has had it's teeth worn off, or the little spring holding it against the round toothed post has become dislodged.

Which side is it, they're handed

I have in the past set the auto adjuster manually so it is just possible to refit the drum over the web of the shoes, shouldn't be a problem to do it that way if you've machined the lip from the inside of the drum

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 21:10   #3
spyder
This is my second home

Thanks Brian, I did think that the shoe adjuster was resetting itself and causing the problem, not something that occurs in the cylinder type.

May just lock it in place for the retest and fit the new parts when they arrive later this/next week.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:42   #4
spyder
This is my second home

I really hate drum brakes!! Replaced the wheel cylinder, rear brake pipe (solid one) and fitted a new adjuster. Handbrake is now fine but the footbrake is still well below, 60% imbalance.

I wonder if the ABS is stopping pressure to the one rear wheel, is this even possible. Sigh.....

I have ordered a new flexi pipe on that side, just incase it has collapsed but there is pressure there when I bleed the system.
Old 25th April 2017, 16:39   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

try re-bleeding the weak side. I had to bleed my sons brakes more then once before
getting them sorted.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 20:34   #6
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
try re-bleeding the weak side. I had to bleed my sons brakes more then once before
getting them sorted.

macafee2
Bled it to infinity and beyond, eventually connected it to the testbook and bled the system again, using the ABS feature. No air but it actually seems to be better. No fault codes in the ABS.

The only other problem could be the balance valve itself.

Craig.
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:05   #7
spyder
This is my second home

Default Update:

5 retests later and the car passed-all due to one rear wheel. After replacing the brake shoes, wheel cylinder, adjusting bar, rear brake pipe and flexi-still no bakes.

3 retests and the hand brake was balanced but no footbrake on the NS rear wheel. Everything was seemingly working though??

After lots of research and head scratching, I remember changing the one section of the proportioning valve that snapped when replacing the brake pipes. Turns out that it was from a non ABS system and not compatible with the Bosh 5.3 ABS unit, changed that and all was good.

Took it back yesterday and failed on the handbrake again.

slackened everything off last night and readjusted it all-hooray, 1 minute on the rollers and a PASS!!
Old 4th May 2017, 05:40   #8
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
5 retests later and the car passed-all due to one rear wheel. After replacing the brake shoes, wheel cylinder, adjusting bar, rear brake pipe and flexi-still no bakes.

3 retests and the hand brake was balanced but no footbrake on the NS rear wheel. Everything was seemingly working though??

After lots of research and head scratching, I remember changing the one section of the proportioning valve that snapped when replacing the brake pipes. Turns out that it was from a non ABS system and not compatible with the Bosh 5.3 ABS unit, changed that and all was good.

Took it back yesterday and failed on the handbrake again.

slackened everything off last night and readjusted it all-hooray, 1 minute on the rollers and a PASS!!
Glad to hear that Spyder
I'm going to be changing the rear discs on Kim in the not too distant future. I'll remember what was said on this thread
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote