Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2023, 12:19   #1
Glen B
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club, 2005 Rover 45, 2000 Rover 25, 1963 Rover 110

Default Power Steering oiling my alternator

Is there a usual culprit on the power steering reservoir area that causes the fluid to leak onto the alternator ( cdt )? I'm currently trying to remove regulator unit to replace with DMGRS unit but screw nearest engine holding regulator to alternator won't budge. None of my screwdrivers seem to be able to sit square on the screw due to oil cooler in way. Handles of shorter screwdrivers foul oil cooler. Is there a guide to removing the alternator from cdt on here. I've tried to use search but it disappears before I can type anything in.
Thanks
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2023, 15:13   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Remove the 10mm bolt holding the upper part of the dipstick tube, it flexes enough to give you room. It is awkward but I've done that job a few times and it is doable. Llink below for alternator removal just incase The rotar is known to go open circuit on those alternators, also the copper slip rings can be worn away by the brushes, the regulator or brushes are not always the problem. The steering fluid leak could be the cause of a failed alternator If it has gotten into the windings. If you don't get lucky, try West Lancs Auto Electrics in Leyland. Quality recon alts at reasonable prices. Used them many times.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=199608.

Lee.

Last edited by Lee T; 12th January 2023 at 08:07..
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 16:58   #3
Glen B
Avid contributor

Thanks Lee. I've taken alternator off today without too much trouble. I've taken power steering pump off so I can see if I can spot source of leak. Are there usual culprits? I've got a spare alternator, second hand from a breakers with a years guarantee so I'm going to fit DMGRS kit to that and fit it. If I can get mine reconnect as well, I'll have a spare for future.
Old 13th January 2023, 02:12   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
Thanks Lee. I've taken alternator off today without too much trouble. I've taken power steering pump off so I can see if I can spot source of leak. Are there usual culprits? I've got a spare alternator, second hand from a breakers with a years guarantee so I'm going to fit DMGRS kit to that and fit it. If I can get mine reconnect as well, I'll have a spare for future.
Check the banjo fitting on the power steering joint sometimes they can weep slowly, then check the hoses where they are crimped, it will be from top are for sure, do not for get the hose going to the pot the end can flare after time and weep.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 13:32   #5
Glen B
Avid contributor

Default Power steering oiling my alternator

Thanks again. I've just cleaned the PS pump exterior with solvent. I did wonder about the hoses where they join PS pump but if I'm wrong I've put leaking pump back on again. Are there any gaskets/seals I should replace as a matter of course while pump is off? To my shame it has been leaking a long time but with no effect on the steering until a couple of months ago when it whined and was stuff. The reservoir was down quite a bit and I refilled it and normal service was resumed. It doesn't seem to have really gone down much since but everything, pump, alternator, pulleys, side of engine block, covered in fluid. I'm going to give everything a proper clean before replacing bits. I've got a second hand replacement alternator to fit ( which is also dirty, on the outside at least) which has a 12 month guarantee. I'm going to clean it up and fit new regulator, etc, kit from DMGRS. Will it do any damage to replacement ( or present) alternator if I spray fast drying solvent ( Amber clean FE10)in it and leave to dry?
Old 13th January 2023, 13:37   #6
Glen B
Avid contributor

I forgot to say, my cdt is a 2003 with 230,000 miles on the clock and I've had it since 2009. I've been all over UK in it and it's always got me back home, even when the red charging ( or rather non charging light )came on 10 miles from home. I did take the precaution of turning everything that would drain power off though.