Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th June 2009, 10:32   #31
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Don't do it - the roads are too busy, think of the fuel cots, think of your creature comforts, think of the weather - the list is endless. Life is too short to put yourself under this type of self inflicted stress. Stay at home instead - have you considered an absorbing jigsaw puzzle? Counter arguement done
Counter argument noted and will be considered along with all other options
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 10:47   #32
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Sorry Ken! Thought of course that you had a 75 or a ZT!!! First thing to do is get a diesel tourer with atowbar etcAlan
No I wouldn't tow a caravan as that does not appeal at all. I am thinking more of this sort of thing http://www.onlinemotorhomes.com/used...4&show_still=1 or http://www.onlinemotorhomes.com/used...2&show_still=1 or even one of these http://www.tynevalleymotorhomes.com/ci/ci-carioca-10
Old 8th June 2009, 10:52   #33
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

In my experience the Ford diesel engines tend to be much noisier than the competition. I'm sure you would test drive several before making any decisions.
For proper easy touring a caravan is not the answer. Camper van all the way.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 11:01   #34
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
In my experience the Ford diesel engines tend to be much noisier than the competition. I'm sure you would test drive several before making any decisions.
Funny how tastes differ. Going EVERYWHERE in one of those wouldn´t appeal to me. Too big and cumbersome (even though I have an HGV + bus). Everything has to be laid on these days - no sense of adventure. ´Course depends on how well you are - whatever, as long as you (both)enjoy yourselves!!:lol:Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 11:14   #35
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Funny how tastes differ. Going EVERYWHERE in one of those wouldn´t appeal to me. Too big and cumbersome (even though I have an HGV + bus). Everything has to be laid on these days - no sense of adventure. ´Course depends on how well you are - whatever, as long as you (both)enjoy yourselves!!:lol:Alan
As a bus driver myself I have no problem with going everywhere with one but I wouldn't be. We both have bus passes so we would make use of those using local transport.

I know parking in towns is difficult with height barriers in a lot of car parks which is why we would park up for two or three days at a time and use local buses. Thats what many people do down here when visiting Hampshire :lol:
Old 8th June 2009, 11:18   #36
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Quite agree Mick one of the quietest we have had out was a Fiat. The engine was noisy as are all diesels but the sound proofing was superb. Transit engines are just as quiet with proper sound proofing but they lack or did lack a bit of pulling power. I will be choosing very carefully :lol:
Old 8th June 2009, 11:38   #37
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Well in that case just the job!!
My dad drove the buses for many years (BCT Bournemouth) and I´ve driven the RM and RMLs in London before I moved to Sweden. When dad retired his pass only covered -The Yellow Buses- so things seem to have got better in some ways! Alan
Old 8th June 2009, 11:44   #38
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Well in that case just the job!!
My dad drove the buses for many years (BCT Bournemouth) and I´ve driven the RM and RMLs in London before I moved to Sweden. When dad retired his pass only covered -The Yellow Buses- so things seem to have got better in some ways! Alan
I have had my licence since 71 and we borrowed a lot of BCT buses back in the 70s. I drove for Hants and Dorset in Southampton but used to use Bournmouth bus station until it burnt down in the late 70s. We then used the Triangle after that

Never driven an RM but I did the LT skid pan back in 74 great fun

Small world isn't it :lol:

Ken
Old 8th June 2009, 12:07   #39
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

If I didnt have to come to the day care centre during the week I would be going for it Ken . Get out there and enjoy !!
Old 8th June 2009, 12:37   #40
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I have had my licence since 71 and we borrowed a lot of BCT buses back in the 70s. I drove for Hants and Dorset in Southampton but used to use Bournmouth bus station until it burnt down in the late 70s. We then used the Triangle after that

Never driven an RM but I did the LT skid pan back in 74 great fun

Small world isn't it :lol:

Ken
Really small!!! Dad went at 60 (1977) was a little stocky Glaswegian with glasses. You might have met him. Everyone called him -Jock- of course. Which he didn´t mind as his name was John.
Drove the trolleys.... the lot. Was -rush conductor- which meant all sorts of jobs. Used the Triangle alot and was -part of the furniture- at Mallard Road. Always had his camera ready.

I also used the skid pan i 74. Did my licence from Potters Bar garage and ended up driving 24s, 3s, and 31s from Chalk Farm (Harmood street)

Get your van and have a real nice time If you don´t do it know when are you supposed to If you get the urge later, take the missus and come over on Ryan Air to Skavsta (Stockholm) and you can spend i long weekend with us. (I´ll pick you up in the Rover -they are quite nice cars!-) Sweden is a lovey country. All the Best Alan