Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2012, 15:26   #11
Will.S
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Boot camp & Windows 7 is your best option.

I'm always a bit puzzled though why a Mac user would want to have Windows !

Because schools/work (when it's working) use window 7 toilet and you need to be able to read/communicate etc
Will.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 15:32   #12
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Please tell me that's a joke?
Not at all, windows is superior to MacOS for a number of reasons.

It has more software that works on it, MacOs traditional advantage, image manipulation and video processing is long long gone now all the software is on windows and the hardware is the same. Windows has more third party support, its very stable as windows 7, crashes are almost unheard of. Malware is a user issue, not a windows issue. Ive seen macs taken down pretty easily, they are far from immune. I have no third party antivirus on my PC but ive had no malware issues for a decade. Ive had Apple users try to justify the superiority for years and they have always failed because their arguments make no sense or are based on old information. In the end the last argument they have is that a Mac is 'pretty'. Well, iMacs are ugly as hell, Macbooks are ok, but i prefer the Dell Ultrabooks, they are just a little more industrial, and slightly less bland.

The problem is people compare cheap nasty PCs made with parts selected for cheapness, not compatability, with a £2k Mac and say windows is rubbish, but a windows PC with the same hardware as the Mac would be way cheaper and just as stable if not more so and more upgradable, more flexible, more personal.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 20th October 2012 at 15:42..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 15:37   #13
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Do you have anything in mind in particular as I am out of touch with Windows. I have 320 Gb on the mac and would want similar or more on a Windows. Thanks
There are loads..

http://www.ebuyer.com/392900-toshiba...skc9e-02300jen
http://www.ebuyer.com/398047-lenovo-b570-laptop-n2f28uk

http://www.ebuyer.com/397413-asus-a5...op-a54c-sx209s
Old 20th October 2012, 15:51   #14
Will.S
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Not at all, windows is superior to MacOS for a number of reasons.

It has more software that works on it, MacOs traditional advantage, image manipulation and video processing is long long gone now all the software is on windows and the hardware is the same. Windows has more third party support, its very stable as windows 7, crashes are almost unheard of. Malware is a user issue, not a windows issue. Ive seen macs taken down pretty easily, they are far from immune. I have no third party antivirus on my PC but ive had no malware issues for a decade. Ive had Apple users try to justify the superiority for years and they have always failed because their arguments make no sense or are based on old information. In the end the last argument they have is that a Mac is 'pretty'. Well, iMacs are ugly as hell, Macbooks are ok, but i prefer the Dell Ultrabooks, they are just a little more industrial, and slightly less bland.

The problem is people compare cheap nasty PCs made with parts selected for cheapness, not compatability, with a £2k Mac and say windows is rubbish, but a windows PC with the same hardware as the Mac would be way cheaper and just as stable if not more so and more upgradable, more flexible, more personal.
Windows 7? Sounds very good from what I've heard but isn't it about time? I've always been a windows user, for years and it's always breaking down/crashing etc etc, if they were a car company they would have gone out of business long ago, I have now bought a Mac mini (only one I could afford)after using my son's apple laptop and it's a breath of fresh air, it works, simple as that, all my windows PC's have gone wrong since '95 n before and I do not trust them.
My brother complained his friend had a Mac for 7 years and when he when to update it said his Mac was too old, he thought this was terrible, thing is all my PC'S have slowed to nothing within 2 let alone 7!
Old 20th October 2012, 16:01   #15
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Again this sounds like a user issue not a platform one and you are comparing an OS with a propitiatory and limited device. Windows XP, released in 2001 was very good and stable and is still perfectly usable today.

A ten year old mac isnt much good for anything because it will be an obsolete PowerPC powered device.

I have a fairly old homemade PC running windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8. The PC is at its core 5 years old and has never gone wrong, never crashes and will run Windows 8 more than perfectly well, if i so chose to migrate. Simple maintenance is all thats needed to keep it fresh and working, its not hard, and macs used for the full range of things a computer is used for will also require maintenance.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 20th October 2012 at 16:03..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 16:13   #16
Will.S
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SALOON

Quote:
Again this sounds like a user issue not a platform one and you are comparing an OS with a propitiatory and limited device. Windows XP, released in 2001 was very good and stable and is still perfectly usable today.

A ten year old mac isnt much good for anything because it will be an obsolete PowerPC powered device.

I have a fairly old homemade PC running windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8. The PC is at its core 5 years old and has never gone wrong, never crashes and will run Windows 8 more than perfectly well, if i so chose to migrate. Simple maintenance is all thats needed to keep it fresh and working, its not hard, and macs used for the full range of things a computer is used for will also require maintenance.
Basic maintenance? my mother has a laptop bought brand new 6 months ago and it already gets error messages when you turn it on? Why should the user have to sort that? It shouldn't happen.
I realize you have a far greater knowledge of computers than I do and I respect that, however I judge things on actions and results and my experience of windows and that of many of my colleagues is not good, you would appear to be an exception to the rule.....in my opinion
Old 20th October 2012, 16:19   #17
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

What error messages? Could this not be windows responding to a hardware issue? Believe it or not Macs also fail, but MacOS doesnt deal with issues that well, its tends to just lock and kills your data. To say Macs dont go wrong is just plain wrong. The reason the internet isnt as full of complaints like it is with windows is that window PCs outsell Mac 20 to 1, and thats just the pre-made OEM units not the homemade ones or the pirate ones.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:25   #18
Will.S
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SALOON

Quote:
What error messages? Could this not be windows responding to a hardware issue? Believe it or not Macs also fail, but MacOS doesnt deal with issues that well, its tends to just lock and kills your data. To say Macs dont go wrong is just plain wrong. The reason the internet isnt as full of complaints like it is with windows is that window PCs outsell Mac 20 to 1, and thats just the pre-made OEM units not the homemade ones or the pirate ones.

I'm well aware they go wrong, not saying they are bullet proof, just my experience is Windows is a nightmare, fair point hardware, but it's all in the package as far as I'm concerned.
Girl on my watch bought a 2k sony laptop same time as her hubby got a Macbook, her's was going wrong within 6 months and is now ********,
his is still going strong three yrs later and with two tours of Afghan under it's belt, incidentally she has now bought a Macbook.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:31   #19
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Again proves nothing, if the issue wasnt windows but the hardware then it has nothing to do with Windows, it it was windows then she should have restored it to factory with the on-board recovery. Macs have had plenty of issues, especially battery issues, which being sealed units the user cannot fix. Sony arent what they used to be. If it was going wrong she should have got it repaired or replaced under warranty.

I grant you Apple have good aftercare, but dont you just pay for it!
Old 20th October 2012, 16:37   #20
Will.S
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SALOON

Quote:
Again proves nothing, if the issue wasnt windows but the hardware then it has nothing to do with Windows, it it was windows then she should have restored it to factory with the on-board recovery. Macs have had plenty of issues, especially battery issues, which being sealed units the user cannot fix. Sony arent what they used to be. If it was going wrong she should have got it repaired or replaced under warranty.

I grant you Apple have good aftercare, but dont you just pay for it!
But the point is it is a windows based laptop and it went wrong? Why should she have to replace it? it shouldn't go wrong. Yes they are expensive and 25% is for the name but Audis cost more than fords