Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th December 2008, 08:29   #1
Fille
Loves to post

SOLD - Rover 75 Tourer 2,0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default Better to just shut up?

I started a new job about six months ago and naturally the Rover caught some attention. There are less than 10 75's in Vaasa and about 10 Tourers in the whole of Finland so my car is the only one of its kind here in my town.
Lots of people ask what's it like to drive and own a Rover and of course I also get a bit if that (envious?) ironic talk about British cars.
However, my 75 has a good trck record with me, during my two and a half years of ownership it has worked very well, and this I have been pointing out to anyone who has bothered to listen.
Now, however, it seems my 75 has entered a new phase in its life. First, the front balljoints proved extremely expensive to repair, then cooling fan packed up, the heater matrix got blocked, the cruise control strated dropping off intermittently nd now the traction control warning light is constantly on. All this in approx two months time.
Maybe it would have been better to just shut up instead of preaching about the 75's fantastic qualities?
Old 6th December 2008, 08:36   #2
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

heh - well at least you've got no clutch to expire expensively... AND just think how reliable your car will be now that the expensive work has been done!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 18:45   #3
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Hi Fille

You don't say what miles (kilometres) your car has done. All cars have faults even the "wonderful" German ones. Mind you, having said that, the 75 was developed under BMW supervision. Looking at where you live, there is the subject of your very long winters; lots of salt on roads can play havoc with cars. My 75 2.5 Club Auto is now on 67k miles and faults have been few so far.

As regards your faults......

Ball-joints - clearly they don't last forever, but were the gaiters OK that keep the muck out ? The slighest little hole or tear in the rubber lets in water and then it's goodbye ball-joint !

Cooling fan - Yes, an admittedly poor piece of design. My previous car, a Mazda Xedos 9, had two fans, one for the air-con and one for the engine coolant. I had no trouble AT ALL in 128k miles - obviously the life was extended because each one was doing less work than a single fan.

Heater matrix - with modern coolants this should NEVER happen. Maybe somebody did not use the correct OAT-type antifreeze when topping up and caused sludge to form.

Cruise control - when set to a particular speed after switch-on, any touch of the brakes will take it off. Maybe your brake-light switch is playing up. (there may be other things that take the speed control off, others on this forum may know).

Traction control - probably a sensor playing up somewhere. Do you have any trouble with the anti-lock brakes at all ? There is a lot of commonality with these two systems. For instance the reluctor rings on the hubs can split and even fall off.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 19:08   #4
Fille
Loves to post

My car has done 185,000 km. I am VERY impressed with the quality of this car; balljoints that last almost 185,000 kms is very good in my opinion. It's just that whenever something goes wrong with this car it's usually expensive. So far the car has performed almost faultlessly but now it seems to develop a new fault as soon as one is fixed ;-)

The traction control played up two years ago, then an actuator was changed. No probs with ABS.

My point was not to moan about the car, it was more a case of "I got what I deserved for being so smug about my 75!"
Old 6th December 2008, 20:22   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Traction and cruise both playing up. I don't believe in co-incidences. Somehow, I bet they're related.

Can't think what right now, as ABS is still OK.

Anyone any ideas?
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 12:48   #6
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Don't have TC, but I'd expect that system would override CC when activated. Since the TC light came on, has the CC stopped resetting itself?
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 18:58   #7
Fille
Loves to post

The funny thing is that the cruise control has worked like a dream since the traction control stopped working... :