Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2012, 19:29   #1
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

Default advice on caravans.

HI CHAPS.. looking for a caravan ... a task which is very hard .... got to please the wife, and we all know, how hard that can be.... looking for a fixed bed , around 2005 year .. been looking at baileys , any advice on decent vans .... got around £6000 to spend thats our top limit... but not many bargins around at the moment, which is very strange...:xmas-smiley-004:
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 22:48   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Surely with that budget there must be something around especially at this time of year.
Perhaps the fixed bed ones are harder to find within the 2005 year build.

I recently purchased a Coachman but it was a 2007 and not a fixed bed.
I prefer to have plenty of seating space.

Good luck anyway and look out for my current project which I'm working on regarding caravan safety.
I'll feature it with some photos in the New Year.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 23:34   #3
SWStuPiDent
Regular poster

1.8 Club SE

Try Adria, they do gorgeous caravans, much lighter inside, with a more modern contemporary feel than many darker wood british vans.

They're also pretty lightweight too.

My Adria is 20yrs old now, yes it's showing its age, but still works and the kids and I love it. It's a 6 births, but only weighs in at 1050kg fully ladened.

They are also bullet proof, their leek proofness is legendary

Happy hunting!

Becci
SWStuPiDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:14   #4
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gp View Post
HI CHAPS.. looking for a caravan ... a task which is very hard .... got to please the wife, and we all know, how hard that can be.... looking for a fixed bed , around 2005 year .. been looking at baileys , any advice on decent vans .... got around £6000 to spend thats our top limit... but not many bargins around at the moment, which is very strange...:xmas-smiley-004:
There should be plenty around - have a look at Autotrader's caravan section, there are often some sensibly priced 'vans on there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of poorly maintained and damp ones too!
A few words of advice (and I apologise if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!) -
  • Buy a decent damp meter and give the inside of the van a good going over - especially where the side walls meet the roof lining, and in the shower cubicle
  • Look for one with a service record, as that should include annual damp test readings
  • At £6,000 you want at least a 12 month warranty from trade sellers - plus a gas and electrics safety check in writing
  • Beware that there are quite a lot of second hand vans around which look fine on the outside - but the roof is badly dinged as a result of various horrendous hail storms in the past year. I take a set of step ladders with me when looking at caravans - gives you a chance of seeing the roof!

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:31   #5
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
There should be plenty around - have a look at Autotrader's caravan section, there are often some sensibly priced 'vans on there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of poorly maintained and damp ones too!

A few words of advice (and I apologise if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!) -
  • Buy a decent damp meter and give the inside of the van a good going over - especially where the side walls meet the roof lining, and in the shower cubicle
  • Look for one with a service record, as that should include annual damp test readings
  • At £6,000 you want at least a 12 month warranty from trade sellers - plus a gas and electrics safety check in writing
  • Beware that there are quite a lot of second hand vans around which look fine on the outside - but the roof is badly dinged as a result of various horrendous hail storms in the past year. I take a set of step ladders with me when looking at caravans - gives you a chance of seeing the roof!

So true, a lot of insurance companys wrote vans off due to the cost of repairing hail stone damage.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 20:12   #6
1gp

cheers chaps... yes fixed bed vans seem to really hold there money... its always the same when your looking, you never find what you want. not in any real rush , but thought we would of found a real bargin, this time of year..
Old 23rd December 2012, 22:51   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWStuPiDent View Post
Try Adria, they do gorgeous caravans, much lighter inside, with a more modern contemporary feel than many darker wood british vans.

They're also pretty lightweight too.

My Adria is 20yrs old now, yes it's showing its age, but still works and the kids and I love it. It's a 6 births, but only weighs in at 1050kg fully ladened.

They are also bullet proof, their leek proofness is legendary

Happy hunting!

Becci
I also run an Adria,very lightweight ,easy to tow, and 2nd hand values are really cheap, beware if you need parts though,as they can only be got from Slovenia,although some Burstner parts fit.
Recent baileys have had damp problems, big style,can't comment on older models,but know of a few people who have had brand new caravans develop damp,in less than 3 years.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:22   #8
1gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I also run an Adria,very lightweight ,easy to tow, and 2nd hand values are really cheap, beware if you need parts though,as they can only be got from Slovenia,although some Burstner parts fit.
Recent baileys have had damp problems, big style,can't comment on older models,but know of a few people who have had brand new caravans develop damp,in less than 3 years.
yes, i know someone with a bailey ranger , had loads of problems with the front leaking water form new. its a 2007 year ..
Old 24th December 2012, 14:56   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

1gp, fixed bedrooms and end bathrooms are indeed in fahsion. For consideration there are a few of drawbacks with these. Some sites want the caravan reversed in, if thats where the view is, alas you cant see it as well. The caravan internally can look short with the bedroom or bathroom door/wall seemingly overpowering. Everyone is down at one end of the caravan, you cant get away from them... as if you can in something thats 20 odd foot long inside.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 17:23   #10
1gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
1gp, fixed bedrooms and end bathrooms are indeed in fahsion. For consideration there are a few of drawbacks with these. Some sites want the caravan reversed in, if thats where the view is, alas you cant see it as well. The caravan internally can look short with the bedroom or bathroom door/wall seemingly overpowering. Everyone is down at one end of the caravan, you cant get away from them... as if you can in something thats 20 odd foot long inside.

macafee2
its what the boss wants , so thats what she will get..