Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2019, 22:18   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Okay everyone which one to order oem or pattern part ?
I assume we are talking rear upper arm, apparently DMGRS are getting in some good ones, check the forum for their post about them or see their web site, not sure if the web site has any info.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 01:22   #12
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Doorstops

I took some Xpart Indian rear arms to Dave in Fencehouses and he suggested some cutting and welding then handed them back to me. I tried a welding class once, I was no good but I did set fire to my overalls. But I know a man who knows all about these arms, he knows who he is!

So I have a pair of doorstops and am looking for ideas about a use for them.

I'd read some of the posts but obviously failed to understand how bad the Indian arms are.

Pete
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 10:04   #13
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I assume we are talking rear upper arm, apparently DMGRS are getting in some good ones, check the forum for their post about them or see their web site, not sure if the web site has any info.

macafee2
DMGRS seem to have sold all of the good ones already - see https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...c-mg-pre-order (select PAIR or MEGA BUNDLE option in dropdown).

I think the OP is talking about the rear upper arm (bolted to the rear subframe) and not the front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 tinkerer View Post
...... I'd read some of the posts but obviously failed to understand how bad the Indian arms are.
The drain holes on the Indian arms are in a slightly different position - which means they don't line up with the drain cutouts in the rubber spring isolators, so water has nowhere to escape.

Pic: top is the Indian arm; bottom is the factory arm (note drain holes are further away from the vertical 'wall' of the dished area).

The way round it is to trim about 5ml off the edge of the rubber isolator, then the cutouts and the drain holes will line up. (Brian suggested this and I've done it).

Last edited by Blink; 11th December 2019 at 10:11..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 10:28   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
....So how hard at the roadside would this be to do .....
It depends on the road. If it's a road with any traffic at all I wouldn't even think about trying it there.

As others have said each upper arm is bolted to the rear subframe with a large bolt going into a 'captive' nut. The captive nuts are held against the subframe using a flimsy metal cage contraption - meaning they're not very 'captive' at all! If the cage starts to bend as you undo the bolt, the captive nut will start spinning and then you're in trouble.

I took the subframe off before even attempting to undo the arm bolts - that gave access to the captive nuts (which are otherwise hidden). One arm bolt came out easily, the other one didn't because the captive nut started spinning.

My advice would be don't try it on a roadside unless you own the road.
Old 11th December 2019, 17:22   #15
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

Quote:
Okay everyone which one to order oem or pattern part ?
I was wondering that Robti.

I guess the Indian arm mentioned is the pattern one.
I usually go 'pattern' but perhaps for the sake of another £30 for the oem as they're still available I'd go that direction.
I'm still trying to find someone else to do mine.

A decent 6 sided 15mm socket is a must as I recall from the springs. I had to go out and borrow one mid job.

MarinaBrian - a dozen thanks. Not obvious to the untrained eye that that advisory was for the front suspension.

The op says it in the title - MOT fail and Brian's front bottom is my red herring so ignore that bit.

-a
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 18:47   #16
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

thanks was a MOT failure and now have a price from a garage of £150 labour only for replacing the arm and doing the rear tracking, so in this weather It looks like that may be an option, as regards to which one to order I was referring to the 2 that rimmers are selling at the moment?
Old 12th December 2019, 10:07   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
thanks was a MOT failure and now have a price from a garage of £150 labour only for replacing the arm and doing the rear tracking, so in this weather It looks like that may be an option, as regards to which one to order I was referring to the 2 that rimmers are selling at the moment?
Hi Robert.
I think you will find the ones Rimmers are selling are all the Indian type, you can see that from the blown up photo's note the drainage holes in them compared to the photo given higher in the thread.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RGG104962

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RGG104972

Brian as complained to them about these I think so he would no more, and I am sure someone recently had a set fail after 12 months ? so tread carefully.

Note the position of the fixings for the rear drop links on the Indian arms to the original arms.

Simons Photo's

This thread is worth following also.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=301414

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 12th December 2019 at 15:32.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 12:46   #18
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RGG104962P1 is the patttern part alternative to -
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RGG104962 but no pictures of it.

I see what you say about the pictures you posted, Arctic.

Drop link brackets look a different angle - Is that so? What are the implications of that? Doesn't the angle adjust on the link itself?

Ta

a

Last edited by alan richard; 12th December 2019 at 13:03.. Reason: Arctic was Artic
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 13:09   #19
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan richard View Post
....Drop link brackets look a different angle - Is that so?
No, they're the same angle - they just look different because the camera wasn't directly above the centre of the shot. (I took the pics for this thread - see last line in post 14).
Old 12th December 2019, 19:08   #20
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
No, they're the same angle - they just look different because the camera wasn't directly above the centre of the shot. (I took the pics for this thread - see last line in post 14).
I think that the problem is that the relative positions of the fixings are seriously different from the originals. The hole in the centre of the spring cups are offset, as are the strut base connectors (offset as opposed to being in the centre). It was the lack of suitable welds that worried me! I'm not surprised that they are failing but am surprised that the ministry/department of transport are not picking up on these "aftermarket" parts. A collapsed suspension could be catastrophic at any speed. The same applies to failing wheel bearings, brake discs, ball joints etc., all of which are being reported on various forums on a regular basis.