Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th May 2017, 17:25   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Default front lower control arm/wishbone replacement

How'do folks

I received my new wishbones and bushes - thanks DMGRS

i'm hoping to get the car jacked up and replace these myself tomorrow

is there anything i should be aware of before i commence ?

i've had a look at the Haynes procedure and, i'm pretty familiar with the components - bolt location etc..

thought it worth asking if there are any pitfalls or tips that may be handy to know

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 18:34   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Two possible main issues:

1. Access to the rear bush bolts (18mm) - these are usually quite tight, and may need a log spanner or two combo spanners hooked together to get them to shift. I unbolt the anti-roll bar bushes and move the ARB out of the way to get better access to the rear bush bolts - you can then get to them using a long breaker bar or ratchet bar with an 18mm socket onto the bolts.

2. Shifting the inner tapered ball joint of the arm that goes into the subframe. I have always managed to shift this using a large bearing puller or heavy duty ball joint splitter - there are other approaches that were discussed on here a few days ago, involving placing a hammer head between the arm and subframe, then using the downward force of the spring to break the taper joint.

The outer lower pinch joint where the arm goes into the bottom of the hub should not be too much of a problem, although sometimes the pinch bolt can seize. Try to soak everything before you start (ideally the day before) in penetrating fluid (plus gas or similar).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 19:01   #3
zony
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

You will need a ball joint splitter for the joint in the middle of the boomerang. The rest is quite straightforward but fiddly in and out from under the car etc and tiny turns on those 2 18mm bolts. I didn't need to release ARB. You get to the rear bolt from under the car, the front bolt from inside the wheel arch.
zony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 19:08   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by zony View Post
You will need a ball joint splitter for the joint in the middle of the boomerang. The rest is quite straightforward but fiddly in and out from under the car etc and tiny turns on those 2 18mm bolts. I didn't need to release ARB. You get to the rear bolt from under the car, the front bolt from inside the wheel arch.
Agreed you can get to the rear bush bolts without undoing the ARB, but I just find it gives a bit more space and makes things a little easier. Good point bout tiny turns on the 18mm bolts when they go back in- it is easy to cross thread them if you are not careful.
Pete
Old 19th May 2017, 19:16   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I didn't release the ball joint or the ARB. Managed to do it all from underneath with the car on drive up ramps. I had to use a jack to take the weight off the wishbone slightly and ease the front wheel and shocker slightly forward to tap/wiggle the old bush off (clean, then lube the wishbone arm with washing up liquid before trying to move the bush). I used a pair of Mole grips to rotate the bush mounting slightly to get the mounting bracket and bolts back in alignment. A bit of blood, sweat and tears - job done!
Old 19th May 2017, 19:22   #6
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I didn't release the ball joint or the ARB. Managed to do it all from underneath with the car on drive up ramps. I had to use a jack to take the weight off the wishbone slightly and ease the front wheel and shocker slightly forward to tap/wiggle the old bush off (clean, then lube the wishbone arm with washing up liquid before trying to move the bush). I used a pair of Mole grips to rotate the bush mounting slightly to get the mounting bracket and bolts back in alignment. A bit of blood, sweat and tears - job done!
Mike - I think the OP is replacing the whole arm with bushes already in place on the arm, so will not need to remove/refit the rear bushes on the arm. Unless I have misunderstood !

Pete
Old 19th May 2017, 19:32   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

cheers folks

I'll let you know how i get on

I am replacing the complete wishbone with bushes in place

I'll also be fitting the driver side track rod end i purchased a couple of weeks back - i done both drop links and passenger side track rod end

Paul.
Old 19th May 2017, 20:48   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Mike - I think the OP is replacing the whole arm with bushes already in place on the arm, so will not need to remove/refit the rear bushes on the arm. Unless I have misunderstood !

Pete
Sorry! Should have spent more time reading and less typing!
Old 20th May 2017, 11:58   #9
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

possible change of plan Weather it's not desperately needing done, so i won't be roughing it outside in the rain today

i may just wait and have it done by a mechanic I only have Saturdays available to do these jobs myself at the moment.

Paul.
Old 28th May 2017, 12:42   #10
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

How'do folks

Wishbones were changed yesterday

I never changed the parts myself - even better - CossieDunc fitted them along with driver side track rod end cheers Buddy

the car does feel better - there was noticeable perishing of the rear bushes
I still have a little judder under braking, I suspected the front discs may be pitted/warped so these will be changed. also i'll need to have the tracking checked/set.

Paul.