Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2019, 17:00   #31
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I'm 6ft tall and suffer the same problem but I'm sure I would protect you a lot better than a small person would, if we were to end up in a brawl.

4x4's, SUV's, Vans, trucks etc etc, they are no different, what's your point exactly? 4x4's tend not to travel at high speeds, whereas cars do and are involved in more accidents. I myself would rather be in a 4x4 in a collision, as above when I mention about my young family...

All shapes and sizes of vehicles are involved in accidents, but 4x4's and SUV's do give the occupants more protection.
I would add that having been on more than a few off road courses from Billing (many many times) the Pink Elephant and of course many happy hours on trips onto Salisbury Plain (The best was on the army tank driving course near Warmwell in Dorset. A 4x4 day out I was lucky enough to be invited to. What an experience!!!!) I have actually owned and driven a number of 4x4’s.

And from all of these I would say this.

Having seen these vehicles traverse slopes horizontally such that they seemed to defy gravity, then anyone that repeats the 4x4 are unstable bo11ox has no actual experience of the reality of what these vehicles are designed to be able to do.

Last edited by Darcydog; 18th January 2019 at 17:02..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:07   #32
Bean66
Regular poster

MG Ztt

Quote:

All shapes and sizes of vehicles are involved in accidents, but 4x4's and SUV's do give the occupants more protection.

Of course size does matter, but really only for vehicles of comparable ages of design.

Big old cars are quite bad when they hit smaller but more modern cars, see the fifth gear crash video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCecdOBCFjI

Big old 4X4's are bad when hit by more modern cars of a similar size. Discovery in another fifth gear crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

So if you've got an older 4x4 make sure you crash into an older car. Crash performace has moved on massivly since EuroNCap started.

But clearly if you crash kind of head on or overlapping with two cars of a similar ages and EuroNcap rating the bigger vehicle will tend to come of better.

Bean
Bean66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:20   #33
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

The idiot on Radio 2 was at it again today, asking if it was time to install lower speed limits all over the countryside, traffic calming, you name it.
In reallity all it needs is a standard retest for all drivers every 10 years, sure it would cost us all money, but the reduction in accidents, deaths and hopefully insurance costs might make it worth it?
PS, it would also remove dodering old farts from behind the wheel - or would it have in this case? Does he need a licence?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:25   #34
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Nothing wrong with 4X4's in the right place. I have great fun in mine.

Kev.

Last edited by KLM; 18th January 2019 at 21:06..
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:33   #35
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Nothing wrong with 4X4's in the right place. I have great fubn in mine.

Kev.
This is where SUV's have taken centre stage over the good old 4x4, long gone are the days where folk attack 4x4's for being used for the school run. The same haters are now attacking the SUV driver, you cant really associate SUV's to be used in the countryside as we can the 4x4's.

Today the wife and I were delivered a 2018 Nissan Qashqai as our new courtesy car, its the best thing since sliced bread, and we love it...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:36   #36
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
I'm 6ft tall and suffer the same problem but I'm sure I would protect you a lot better than a small person would, if we were to end up in a brawl.

4x4's, SUV's, Vans, trucks etc etc, they are no different, what's your point exactly? 4x4's tend not to travel at high speeds, whereas cars do and are involved in more accidents. I myself would rather be in a 4x4 in a collision, as above when I mention about my young family...

I would have thought my point is obvious, that a monstrosity like a 4x4, a vehicle clearly designed and built to be used off road, has now become another fashion accessory for use on the school run by people who feel the need to be more secure whilst they are driving 1-2 miles to school and back.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:42   #37
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Having seen these vehicles traverse slopes horizontally such that they seemed to defy gravity, then anyone that repeats the 4x4 are unstable bo11ox has no actual experience of the reality of what these vehicles are designed to be able to do.
I think it would be best to say they are more unstable under certain circumstances.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:44   #38
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
in my opinion these so called 4x4s SUVs etc have no place on our busy congested and not fit for purpose roads, drivers choosing to have these, clearly for the no other reason than to compensate for other deficiencies should be taxed heavily, and be able to pass a special driving test, in any case ALL drivers should have to take a mandatory retest every 5 years for their health and safety, and not forgetting training purposes. The driving test in the UK is far too simple now, I mean no motorway training whatever, that is ridiculous.!!
of course non have them for their towing capability!

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 17:46   #39
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Am I the only one who was impressed with the Kia?
Old 18th January 2019, 17:51   #40
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Am I the only one who was impressed with the Kia?
What kia was it, I couldn't make it out in the pictures.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote