Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2010, 10:31   #1
Lucky75owner
Avid contributor

Rover75 1.8 saloon

Default not again!!

It was a lovely day and I was driving with my beautiful 75 to Amsterdam.
Suddenly .......... "engine overheated"
Last year I got a "new engine" in my 75, thought I could drive for a long time without problems. Wishfull thinking. Checking the liquids every week and also before I drove to Amsterdam everything looks ok.
After I stopped the loss of coolant and oil was extreme, how is it possible.
A garage has checked everything and it appears to be the........ headgasket (again) I have the MLS.
Till now I've spent more than € 6500 on my car.
Did several mods: leather interior (electric), chrome bullets, torpedo,s, wooden/sandstone steering wheel, crofts finishers, illuminated sunvisors, bought last year the powerfolds and was just planning to come over to the nano meeting for fitting them.
I think, and it hurts, that this is it for me. I hope the engine can be repaired under warranty. Will hear it tomorrow, then selling the car.
A beautiful car but I have to be realistic that the spending is far over the limit now and have no confidence in driving it anymore.

It was and will be a pleasure to read the posts on the forum, altough I drive a Twingo now

Eric

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/v.../R75_small.gif
Lucky75owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 10:48   #2
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope that your car can be sorted out and you wil gain confidence again.

With MLS gasket fitted my 75 has now done 41000 miles with no coolant loss. Have you checked the inlet maifold gasket? This can give very similar symptoms and coolant loss to HGF but is much easier and cheaper to fix.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:06   #3
Allegroboi
Posted a thing or two

2.0 CDTi Tourer Connie SE auto Royal Blue/Dorchester red connie V6 with Aubergine interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky75owner View Post
It was a lovely day and I was driving with my beautiful 75 to Amsterdam.
Suddenly .......... "engine overheated"
Last year I got a "new engine" in my 75, thought I could drive for a long time without problems. Wishfull thinking. Checking the liquids every week and also before I drove to Amsterdam everything looks ok.
After I stopped the loss of coolant and oil was extreme, how is it possible.
A garage has checked everything and it appears to be the........ headgasket (again) I have the MLS.
Till now I've spent more than € 6500 on my car.
Did several mods: leather interior (electric), chrome bullets, torpedo,s, wooden/sandstone steering wheel, crofts finishers, illuminated sunvisors, bought last year the powerfolds and was just planning to come over to the nano meeting for fitting them.
I think, and it hurts, that this is it for me. I hope the engine can be repaired under warranty. Will hear it tomorrow, then selling the car.
A beautiful car but I have to be realistic that the spending is far over the limit now and have no confidence in driving it anymore.

It was and will be a pleasure to read the posts on the forum, altough I drive a Twingo now

Understand where you are coming from, but it is a shame to give up on such a lovely looking car, why not give it one more chance

ian
Old 11th June 2010, 19:05   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Is it not possible to fit a 2.5 V6 with g/box and ECU?
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 19:48   #5
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Hi Eric,
Sorry to read of your problem.
If your new engine was built with the Modified Cylinder Head Kit ZUA000080 and correctly assembled, i.e, correct Cylnder Liner heights, Block and Head faces all true etc., then it is very unlikely that the Engine itself is the cause of the actual failure.
When the replacement engine was fitted, was the Cooling system itself thoroughly check over. Something in that area may have caused this lastest failure, resulting in the problem you now have.
Let us know what is found, but please make sure that the cause of the failure is fully established, before allowing repairs to proceed.
Hopefully your warranty for the replacement engine should cover all costs involved.
All the best
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 22:30   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The overheating is caused by loss of water.
The loss of oil is surprising, unless severe overheating has taken place.

It need not be an HGF, but clearly something is wrong.

Could well be that there is an unnoticed water loss maybe from one of the critical points. (water pump, T-piece, inlet manifold, liner seal)
Weekly checks are fine. Daily checks are 7 times better.

I would try and top it up and run it to see what transpires.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 07:51   #7
Lucky75owner
Avid contributor

Rover75 1.8 saloon

thanks guys for the kind replies,

Nothing heard yet about the warranty.
I've checked again and filled it up with coolant to see what the problem can be. But everthing looks ok to me. no leaks and the engine looks great dry and very clean. but have to fill the coolant again.

It seems to me that the engine is getting verry hot in a short time.
The problem is the garage where I go to, specialized in MG/Rover, is a 200 km drive from where I live. Been to some local garages in the past but that was a disaster. They told me to sell the car because Rover 75 is a problem car. I was planning to prove the opposite

fingers still crossed

Eric

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/v.../R75_small.gif
Lucky75owner is offline   Reply With Quote