Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2016, 17:45   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I've not been in a phone box for quite a few years, do they still have any directories in them?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 18:41   #12
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

When I worked for the council we were contracted to empty a yard full of the things that BT no longer wanted. I think there were about 30 of the red boxes that we ended up scrapping. If only we'd kept them instead
Old 19th February 2016, 19:36   #13
DAVIDW71

Rover75 Tourer

In November 1989, on the eve of the opening of the Berlin Wall, I had to take one of these telephone boxes, as a gift from the Polegate Twinning Association in East Sussex, to Appen a village in NW Hamburg. That evening we watched on TV as events unfurled at the Wall.The next morning we headed for Lubeck, before crossing over the border into the GDR, heading against hundreds of Trabant cars fleeing westwards,and we, onwards to the City of Schwerin, the beautiful capital of Magdeburg.What a contrast to West Germany and other European countries at that time, a true time warp complete with Russian and other Eastern Bloc soldiers mingling around.Most definitely the most interesting day of my life, to witness one of those major historic occasions which normally we would only see, courtesy of the media. Thankfully this was a peaceful one , demonstrating the power of democracy at it's best! Anyway, shortly after,the villagers of Appen removed the dulled glazing, and fittings, sand blasted the box clean ,and then repainted and reglazed with new GPO glass . Today, 27 years later, it still stands proudly outside the offices of the Burgermeister of Appen ,Schlegwig Holstein, a symbol of the close and enduring friendship between the two communities.
DAVIDW71 is offline   Reply With Quote