Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st July 2018, 08:51   #1
alanwheaton

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Temperature gauge & cooling fan

Has anyone ever experienced this problem. I have a 1.8 turbo petrol Connoisseur SE on an 03 plate which I have owned for about 14 months. During the last month on several occasions the temperature gauge has dropped to cold without warning. When this happens the cooling fan is on constantly and curiously the radiator expansion tank is cold. I can remove the top and there doesn't seem to be any pressure. If I turn the engine off for a couple of minutes the fan stops and on restarting the engine, the expansion tank starts to warm up and the temperature gauge returns to normal and reads dead centre. There is no logic to when this happens. I can go on a 100 mile run without any problem, but then on a short run to the local car wash, the symptoms appeared while the car was idling as it was being cleaned. I hope somebody is able to suggest what might be causing this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies, Alan
alanwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 09:02   #2
Ratty
I really should get out more.......

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Could be your temperature sensor, front of engine slight right side un plug & try if not replace sensor.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 09:45   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Nine times out of ten, this problem is caused by a bad connection to the temperature sensor. If the sensor signal is lost, the gauge drops to the 'Off' position and ECU switches on the emergency cooling strategy. This is the radiator fan at high speed. The temperature senors themselves are usually bombproof.

I'd suggest you check the condition of the wiring connector that plugs onto the sensor. This is located near the head coolant outlet. Ensure the connections are clean and tight.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st July 2018 at 09:54..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 11:51   #4
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Agreed that the temperature sensor is at fault, same happened to me, new temperature sensor fitted. No more problems.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 16:25   #5
alanwheaton

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for your suggestion as to the cause of my problem. I'll check and clean the wiring of the connector that plugs onto the sensor and if that fails to resolve the problem I'll get a new temperature sensor fitted. Regards, Alan.
Old 31st July 2018, 14:57   #6
alanwheaton

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Temperature gauge & cooling fan

I had my Rover in at my local garage for them to check the connector to the temperature sensor as suggested. The connector was cleaned and the condition of the wiring checked. That was over 3 weeks ago and the problem is resolved and has not reappeared. Thanks to all who suggested this cheap fix.
Regards, Alan.