Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2016, 11:03   #1
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Default NHS to go paperless!

Breaking news that the government thinks the HNS should go paperless. Have they been asleep for the past 20 years?
Have they forgot the last Labour government spent 10 BILLION quid trying to do the same and it didn't. Thats an obscene amount of waste. But yes please we need paperless, we need to stop waiting for doctors to write letters to us, to be able to order repeat prescriptions on line etc etc. Surely any competent IT company could set that up
Here's hoping. I'll probably be well gone by the time it arrives.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 11:07   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

All well and good for those who are "computer savvy", but not much help to those who even now do not get enough help.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 11:15   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

When it is paperless you will not need a Junior Doctor's strike to close the NHS down, just a simple Denial of Service or other IT attack format to really cause complete chaos.

As regards paperless Presciptions, they cannot get them to the Pharmacy in time now (from what I hear when I am there), paperless will mean you will never know what hs happened or if it has. I prefer to collect my prescription, take it to the Pharmacy myself anf then collect then or later, that way I can get my medication on time.

I think you may well find that it is not the IT companies that cannot deliver, it is more like constant interference and changes to the Requirement Specifications that Government bodies delite in seeking to apply. [ Personal experience ]
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 11:20   #4
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

For those who are not computer savvy I wouldn't worry too much as it will take forever for it to happen.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 22:59   #5
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Have to disagree, my surgery already has on-line repeat prescriptions and works very well, can even state chemist of your choice to be sent to, arrives always within24hrs and often same day; also has option to book appointment wit Dr or nurse, modern technology working as it should.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 06:52   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'd say it can work to an extent but not in all cases. The NHS is about the ill remember, these people can't all work a computer, tablet or phone a lot are of the age that have never used them.
Again many will be branded old fools and they must use modern technology.
The systems in place at the moment gives trouble, can you imagine if the whole NHS was paperless, chaos!
Old 9th February 2016, 08:04   #7
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

This mindless rush to get everything floating around in the ether with no hard copy is going to end in tears. Mark my words.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 08:37   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

The previous attempt at a UK wide computer system was dogged by political stupidity and ignorance. Yes that was under the old Labour Government but I have no doubt whatsoever that a Conservative Government is just as capable of making a similar enormous c0ck-up.

However - when i broke a small bone in my wrist I was X-rayed at A&E and at the follow up with my GP he could call up my X-ray on his computer screen as well as all the notes from A&E and we sat there discussing what I should do.

The whole process was excellent.

My GP practice sends referral "letters" to hospital via email.

A lot of what the NHS does is now paperless - and this is internal - it is not going to be forced upon the patients.

The issue is that a medic cannot easily scan your old paper notes in the same way as they can scan/research your medical history held on computer files.

It is a bit like the old joke where someone is lost in Cornwall and wants to get to Truro. They ask a local who says "Best if you don't start from here".

The NHS has this "baggage" of working with an old paper based patient record system knowing that they could work far better if that info could all be entered onto a more modern system.

The issue is - Do we have faith in the Politicians and the Public Servants to secure the best system?

My response, based on my experience, is a definitive - NO.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 10:35   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Part of the Civil Service I worked for used to have a paper record of every visit and copy of correspondence for each client, it was a national coverage.

They went to electronic filing - great. Now each visiting representative, prints off the entire record, then when the "business" is finished, they shred the lot, each time.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:48   #10
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I'm talking more generally, not just about the NHS.
I don't trust the politicians but nor do l have total faith in electronic systems saving all this information very long term or the risks of that information being deliberately tampered with, lost in the ether, held to ransom, simply deleted by stupidity or malice, or any such occurence.
Paper files do have their own risks but to wish to do away with it totally is sheer folly.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote