Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th August 2013, 21:27   #1
Cmcpress

Rover 75 saloon

Default 75 - 2.0 Diesel Saloon - Power Steering out - cranking but not turning over

Hi Guys,

First post and sad to say it's because of some trouble today. Driving on the motorway - breaking for a roundabout the steering suddenly siezed up and the brakes became unresponsive. After managing to push the car out of the road the car will crank but won't turn over.

Looking at the fuel into the engine - it's got just under a quarter of a tank and yet the fuel doesn't come out in a steady stream.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Any tests we can run as a diagnostic?
Cmcpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 21:49   #2
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

Classic symptoms of a failed in tank fuel pump, if it gets below quarter of a tank they can fail, try putting a gallon or two in and see if it starts.

The pump may also be fine, but the fuel gauge can be unreliable, so you think you have a quarter of a tank when in fact it is completely empty, i had exactly the same symptoms, and filling it with more fuel, started straight up more or less.

Last edited by Dragrad; 28th August 2013 at 00:47.. Reason: Posts merged - Consecutive posts and amended
Mark2000cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 10:32   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Jez,

to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcpress View Post
... the steering suddenly siezed up and the brakes became unresponsive.
It sounds as if the engine stalled so your power steering pump stopped and you lost servo assistance to the brakes.
Quote:
... the car will crank but won't turn over.
"Cranking" and "turning over" mean the same thing. I think you meant to say that the engine wouldn't "fire".

Simon
Old 28th August 2013, 10:53   #4
llanmartin
Banned

Rover 75 Connesur 2.0 CDT Auto

Sounds just like the tank pump. A new one will cost around £250. There is a peugeot one that will fit and is I believe more reliable and slightly more powerful that is around £90, I got mine off a fellow member for £30 garage fit it for me and that was another £120 so cost £150 all in, however I now know it is a job I can do my self so will take that option next time.
llanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 16:26   #5
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

If you turn the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pumps - one is under the rear seat (the low pressure (LP) pump) and the other under the bonnet (the high pressure (HP) pump) on Mk1 cars. Later cars use a single pump.

If you pull the rear seat swab out, it'll make your task easier.

If when the ignition is switched on and there is no noise from the rear pump, then that's your problem: the pump has broken.

Replacement is actually pretty easy DIY. There are guides available on here. I bought a pump motor and replaced this in the existing pump assembly and popped everything back together.

The bad news is that the HP pump failed a year or so later... But again, replacement of this one is not too hard either.

Good luck!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 16:30   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
If you turn the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pumps - one is under the rear seat (the low pressure (LP) pump) and the other under the bonnet (the high pressure (HP) pump) on Mk1 cars. Later cars use a single pump.

If you pull the rear seat swab out, it'll make your task easier.

If when the ignition is switched on and there is no noise from the rear pump, then that's your problem: the pump has broken.

Replacement is actually pretty easy DIY. There are guides available on here. I bought a pump motor and replaced this in the existing pump assembly and popped everything back together.

The bad news is that the HP pump failed a year or so later... But again, replacement of this one is not too hard either.

Good luck!
Easier to have a listen by removing the fuel filler cap rather than remove the rear seat though
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 16:51   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
There are 3 fuel pumps on the earlier cars (4 if you have a fuel burning heater).

In tank low pressure pump, under bonnet low pressure pump and engine driven high pressure pump.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote