Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th August 2013, 22:29   #1
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Default Reverse Camera wiring

Okay, slightly confused with this.

There seems to be a few variants both wired and wireless and i've not entirely sure i've got this sussed out.
The chinese instructions are a bit lacking shall we say.

I have this :

I can suss out the head unit end has the red wire attaching to the pink wire from head unit (the backdraft radar testing line, lol).

but the camera end..... ?
do i connect the red wire from the yellow phono plug to the red wire on the power input injector ?
That would seem logical to me that when reverse is engaged the pink on the headunit puts 12v through the red wire and that eventually ends up putting 12v into the power injector input wire (the black connector that connects to the red connector, looks like a phono in the pic etc).

I've read a few posts but tbh, it's just made me over complicate things and I don't want to blow the thing up

cheers
Geraint.
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:58   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 23:32   #3
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The red wire running down the yellow composite video cable is just so you can supply the camera with +12v from a supply at the radio end of the car. If you have a supply at the rear end of the car, such as the reversing lights etc then you don't need the red wire running down the yellow-ended composite lead, just leave it disconnected at both ends.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 23:43   #4
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

so sounds like i can do it either way then ?

either connect up at the headunit end and then join the red's at the camera end, or just wire up the red from the power to reverse lights ?

if so, then probably easier to do the former as it means I don't have to run around to the reverse lights ?

sound about right ?

thanks
G
Old 20th August 2013, 00:34   #5
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Yup. Obviously you'll still need to connect the black wire to earth, but you should be able to find this anywhere as it's a negative earth chassis.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 08:38   #6
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Hi Geraint,

How are you going to mount the reversing camera?

I've been wondering whether to fit two rear facing cameras - one for reversing (still undecided which one to get and where to mount it!!!) and one as a rear view camera for when the boot is so laden with cobber, you can't see out of the back window!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 09:21   #7
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Hi Rob,

At present i'm in the process of powering it up (as well as connecting up everything else for the amp build).
I was then going to tape it in place to test fit some various angles.

i'll try to take pics of where mounted and pic it generates as that could be useful for others to decide.

It's designed to fit at top of rear number plate under the boot opening handle, but this might not give the best useable picture so i'll try that as well as rear bumper and higher etc to have a look at what i think is most useable for me.

It's todays job and it's a slow and steady one with all these wires to try and fit in
Old 20th August 2013, 09:34   #8
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

I'm not sure whether it is still a problem, but I recall reading a couple of years ago where reversing cameras suffered from fogging up in cold damp weather. I was therefore wondering about fitting a reverse camera on or near the high-level stop lamp, inside the tailgate. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your experiments!
Old 21st August 2013, 20:36   #9
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Hi Rob

I have fitted Radioguys (Seans) Wireless Rear Camera with great results.

Most people seem to fit it using one of the number plate light fittings. The camera base has a translucent base the light shines through. However I was not that Keen.

I prefered to fit mine in the central position, between the two number plate lights. It Looks much better to me in the central position. Regards the area of picture shown on screen I would see no point in adding an extra camera.

However there are one or two mods to make this possible.

Firstly, after removing all the plinth fittings, you will find you have to drill extra hole through boot to enable camera cables to go through. The hole needs to be large enough to be able to pass the banana plugs for the camera (one by one). The other tricky bit is you also have to drill a similar hole through the actual plinth circuit board, again to get cables through This can be tricky because you have to avoid the two printed circuits tracts that connect the two rear lamps.

It is a bit of a fiddle, but the finished result looks much better and more balanced the having camera over one light.

trimani (Alf)

Last edited by trimani; 21st August 2013 at 20:40..
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:30   #10
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

That sounds like a very clever installation Alf - do you have any pictures?