Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2013, 21:21   #1
Loves to post

Black ROVER 75

Default Green Flag breakdown

My father is 83 and still drives everyday. He's always had breakdown cover with the AA or RAC.
This year I was looking around for breakdown cover and tried Green Flag.
I can't believe that they won't give breakdown cover to you if you are 80 or over.
Do they think you are more capable of fixing your own car at the side of the road?
I would say that older drivers are the most likely to have their cars regularly serviced by a garage and the most likely to need help if they breakdown.
It's blatant ageism.

A scathing email has been sent to Green Flag but I don't expect to hear back from them... Oh and my father has now renewed his cover with the AA.
..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 00:18   #2
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
My father is 83 and still drives everyday. He's always had breakdown cover with the AA or RAC.
I can't believe that they won't give breakdown cover to you if you are 80 or over.
Do they think you are more capable of fixing your own car at the side of the road?
I would say that older drivers are the most likely to have their cars regularly serviced by a garage and the most likely to need help if they breakdown.
It's blatant ageism.

A scathing email has been sent to Green Flag but I don't expect to hear back from them... Oh and my father has now renewed his cover with the AA.
That's bad news for your dad.

Perhaps they should change their advertisement to;
"we might not be the biggest breakdown service, but by jingo be aim to be the [most discriminative]"
Old 11th April 2013, 00:43   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I had Green Flag cover a few years ago, just after I bought the car.... It died in Southampton. They came out within the hour and failed to rectify the fault. They then told me that they could take me and the car home for £2 per mile after 10 miles (FREE). Naturally I joined the RAC, which took me home in one go (unlike AA Relay) Included in the price of joining, albeit after 24hrs of joining (Luckily it was a Bank Holiday)

Personally I would not consider Green Flag ever again, well not unless I only never stray more than 10 miles from home

That was my experience...... it's all in the small print

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 11th April 2013 at 00:48..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 03:11   #4
Brigus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Naturally I joined the RAC, which took me home in one go (unlike AA Relay) Included in the price of joining, albeit after 24hrs of joining (Luckily it was a Bank Holiday)

Personally I would not consider Green Flag ever again, well not unless I only never stray more than 10 miles from home

That was my experience...... it's all in the small print
I've also found RAC's service to be very good - I've been with them for five years now - happy to recommend them.
Brigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 15:25   #5
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I have Green Flag for both my car and the Wifes. I travel all over the UK and have been very happy with their service, they once recovered me from Penzance to Scarborough FOC.

In my experience they dont try and hide anything and show the different levels of cover they offer.

For £12.00 a month I get at home, recovery anywhere in the uk, european cover and hire car in certain circumstances. I think its good value.

I have had AA and RAC cover but had bad experiences with both of them, they also contract out a lot of work to local garages, the same ones in fact as Green flag.

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:19   #6
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
It's blatant ageism.

Your post set off alarm bells for me in view of my own increasing age, and, as my correspondence with Green Flag had not then been completed, I took the opportunity to ask their view on the matter of age.
I have it on good authority, and more importantly in writing, that there are no age restrictions in relation to policyholders on their policies. The conclusion may therefore be drawn that in the case you mention there must be other factors involved.
Old 24th April 2013, 11:27   #7
ianinfrance
Gets stuck in

Triumph TR7 2.0 dhc + ford ranger XLT+ VW Passat 2.5 V6 Tdi

Here it is an option on your insurance.

I have breakdown/recovery on all the vehicles although the cover isn't the same level.

I'll dig an invoice out and see what they charge per ann.

So mine is with AXA but they use the local to where you are recovery bloke and that seems to be shared among the garages who offer the service as fas as I can tell.
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 13:11   #8
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

I did belong to Green Flag though the Caravan Club, because they would take you to your destination and park up your caravan so you did not miss your holiday and if the car could not be fixed would take you and car and van to your home address ( I never put this to the test) but now I have sold my caravan I am back with the AA
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote