Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th May 2017, 09:29   #1
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Default Volunteer wanted: 75/ZT 1.8T owner to visit Emerald (Norfolk)

Hi guys

I'm after a bit of help that will hopefully benefit anyone with a 75/ZT 1.8T that wants to move over to a fully integrated (including can bus!) plug and play aftermarket ECU.

Here's a little background to the ask...

I'm in the process of installing my forged K turbo engine (standard crank though) and the tuning capability of the standard MEMS3 ECU doesn't appear to be up to the task of 350+bhp.

As a result, I've been looking into ECU options - however, the biggest stumbling block is the can bus. To that end, I've been talking with the tech department at Emerald and have sent them a spare ECU to tinker with. From their investigations, it would appear that the can bus used is the same as a BMW E46 / Mini going by the minimal bench test he has been able to carry out.

They are quite confident that their K6 with can bus emerald ECU will work as a direct replacement to the MEMS3 ECU because they've already written the necessary code into their product for the E46/Mini. To be 100% sure, they would like to plug into a running 75/ZT 1.8T.

They won't need to tinker or change anything on the ECU, they simply need to take live readings.

My problem is, I don't have a running ZT/75 1.8T to pop with down with. With that in mind, would someone be so kind as to go on my behalf?

Their address is as follows:

Emerald M3D Limited
Unit 6 Norwich Rd Industrial Estate,
Watton,
Norfolk
IP25 6DR

Let me know if you've any questions and if you can help.

Cheers

James
Old 7th May 2017, 09:44   #2
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Prommissing progress, mine is definately not running, and I'm the other side of the country...
If this works it might tempt me to use it to run my zt t series. I would really be interested in what you've done to the k for it to withstand 350bhp - how about a thread on it?
Also, pm for you.

Last edited by minimutly; 7th May 2017 at 09:50..
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 10:25   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Member crown is in Norwich about 25 miles away from Watton and he has a 1.8T.
He is interested in the performance side so may be prepared to help.Drop him a pm
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 20:56   #4
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Prommissing progress, mine is definately not running, and I'm the other side of the country...
If this works it might tempt me to use it to run my zt t series. I would really be interested in what you've done to the k for it to withstand 350bhp - how about a thread on it?
Also, pm for you.
Hi bud

I've had my K turbo completely rebuilt from scratch using the usual balanced forged comments, VVC head with the goodies like custom piper cams, bigger injectors etc.

The real thing when it comes to the K series is the map and Mems3 just doesn't give you the absolute control to really tweak everything. This is how you get big power safely. There's a chap who's taken a standard K turbo to 350bhp+ in his Elise via an Emerald set up and I'll be working with him to do the same on mine.

However, I'll have three maps - a safe and daily 300bhp... and then a ballsy 350 and 380 just because. However, nothing is certain until the dyno prints in.

I did have a build thread but I kinda let it slip as I recently moved house and am refurbishing it.
Maybe I'll kick it off again.

Cheers

PS. Your inbox is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Member crown is in Norwich about 25 miles away from Watton and he has a 1.8T.
He is interested in the performance side so may be prepared to help.Drop him a pm
Thanks for the name mate - I'll pop him a PM and see if he's interested.

Cheers

Last edited by Pistonbroke666; 8th May 2017 at 20:58..
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 22:07   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
Hi bud
who know's what that might have done for MG-I've had my K turbo completely rebuilt from scratch using the usual balanced forged comments, VVC head with the goodies like custom piper cams, bigger injectors etc.
However, I'll have three maps - a safe and daily 300bhp... and then a ballsy 350 and 380 just because. However, nothing is certain until the dyno prints in.

If a car like this had been available from the factory it would have given the company a whole new image in the eyes the buying public.And who know's how that might have changed MG-R's long term future.
Old 9th May 2017, 08:37   #6
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
If a car like this had been available from the factory it would have given the company a whole new image in the eyes the buying public.And who know's how that might have changed MG-R's long term future.
It would have been quite something but all these things cost extra wedge.
God knows how she'll drive hehe.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:36   #7
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
God knows how she'll drive hehe.
Insanely with any luck
Old 9th May 2017, 09:48   #8
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Why not just go to the master of K series maps, Mark at Kmaps ?

Quote:
Mark was responsible for testing and development of Longbridge factory K series products, which involved prototype track and road development testing throughout the world.
He campaigned a VHPD 190 TF in the MG Car Club for several years and is now the official tune supplier to most race cars in action today.
Following the demise of MG Mark went on to form this remap service - with unique expertise in the K series MG Rover tuning world
He knows literally everything there is to know about the Rover/MG ECU's. Personally I wouldn't trust anyone else.

As for the E46 CANBUS, we could have told you that!

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 14:27   #9
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikris View Post
Why not just go to the master of K series maps, Mark at Kmaps ?

He knows literally everything there is to know about the Rover/MG ECU's. Personally I wouldn't trust anyone else.

As for the E46 CANBUS, we could have told you that!

Ali.
Hi Ali,

I am familiar with K Maps, my old engine was running the 200bhp set up.

Thing is, my car will be continually evolving and needing further mapping work - sticking with MEMS3 would work out very expensive in the long run plus I wouldn't have the fine tuning capabilities that an Emerald has.

Regarding the Canbus, fill me in and tell me all you know hehe.

James
Old 9th May 2017, 18:01   #10
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Pm box now cleared
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote