Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th June 2016, 19:48   #11
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksnr View Post
If you want low down torque go the twin screw blower route, if you want to rev it go with a Vortex. Both are good at what they do, John at John Sleath race cars runs a 4.6 Mustang with a vortex fitted and properly mapped, but he likes the way mine just pulls from low down. As for safe RPM I'd make sure it didn't go past 6k.
I just looked on the Kenne bell website and the supercharger kit is $4999 so not a bad price.

Will the mustang kit fit straight on the ZT or does it need tweaking?

Instant response is definately where it's at for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
It's a long thread but the outcome was: No money was lost by the owner who fitted a replacement standard engine.

More research is needed as they (Trick Flow) are fitted to many mustangs with no ill effect.
It certainly warrants more looking into.
I knew it wasn't a straight bolt on jobby so maybe with a few tweaks it could be a viable way to squeeze out a few extra ponies.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:04   #12
micksnr
Regular poster

mg zt 500

The Kenne Bell kit fits with a few brackets modified. The first time I did mine it took less than a day to get it driveable. Have a look on XPower forum in my gallery there's a Kenne Bell installation manual in there. OH and be careful if the tuning bug bites it gets VERY expensive LOL
Old 8th June 2016, 20:30   #13
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
The Kenne Bell kit fits with a few brackets modified. The first time I did mine it took less than a day to get it driveable. Have a look on XPower forum in my gallery there's a Kenne Bell installation manual in there. OH and be careful if the tuning bug bites it gets VERY expensive LOL
That sounds pretty straightforward. I don't suppose you have a link to your gallery?
Might I ask who who mapped your car?
Included in the kit it says it includes a "chip" - not totally sure what they mean. Any thoughts?

I've been looking at all kinds of muscle car and my primary thought has been getting the right engine to tune up... and ultimately blow money on. Why do I do it to myself hehe.
Old 8th June 2016, 21:02   #14
micksnr
Regular poster

mg zt 500

The chip plugs into the J port on the ECU and the car will run on this but, the MG fuel pump is different to the Ford pump. I only used the chip to get the car to the mappers. I've used two mappers, Jamsport in Northhampton (who I no longer use !!!) and John Sleath Race Cars in south yorkshire. Have a look on Johns site he's tuned some of the best drag cars in the UK.
What you don't need from KB is the cold air kit (it won't fit), the boost-a- pump (it destroys the MG fuel pump) and the chip (i've got one if needed).
For me the best of the tuning kits available is the KB kit, it's easy enough to fit, you get good results for the money, and with a bit of money LOL 700 BHP is possible .
Having said the above I'm looking at twin turbos, cos no one else has done it LOL
Old 9th June 2016, 01:22   #15
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

If John Sleath can Map an engine he could learn about our electronics and then a KB (is my advice)
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 05:44   #16
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
The chip plugs into the J port on the ECU and the car will run on this but, the MG fuel pump is different to the Ford pump. I only used the chip to get the car to the mappers. I've used two mappers, Jamsport in Northhampton (who I no longer use !!!) and John Sleath Race Cars in south yorkshire. Have a look on Johns site he's tuned some of the best drag cars in the UK.
What you don't need from KB is the cold air kit (it won't fit), the boost-a- pump (it destroys the MG fuel pump) and the chip (i've got one if needed).
For me the best of the tuning kits available is the KB kit, it's easy enough to fit, you get good results for the money, and with a bit of money LOL 700 BHP is possible .
Having said the above I'm looking at twin turbos, cos no one else has done it LOL
Some really handy info here, thank you very much.

Is there room for turbos in the engine? I cant say I've ever looked that closely but I've heard it's tight. Might have to pinch the KB off of you if you go down that route :p

What's your intercooler set up by the way?

Last edited by Pistonbroke666; 9th June 2016 at 07:08..
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 07:21   #17
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Maybe swap the exhaust manifolds over and put the Turbo in front of the engine like some TVR's?

The problem with Turbo's is the delay, I have had several Saab Turbo's and they had supposedly perfected Turbo installation, yes they are very quick and the 95 Aero's I had were equal in the HP to my 260 but the delay can be quite alarming some times. Great if the revs are up or you have put your foot down early but catch it in the wrong gear and to low revs and it feels like you have a 2 ton Ford Fiesta until the boost builds.

Any mod that looses the low down grunt of a 260 would be a negative in my view, having a car that you can go down to 20mph in 5th gear with no hesitation makes it a real wolf in sheeps clothing.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 09:24   #18
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Improving the output of the v8 engine

Did anyone see the latest Wheeler Dealers this week on TV?

They were doing up a 1980s era 5.0 v8 Ford Mustang and reckoned by changing throttle body, pulleys, manifolds etc. they would get an extra 50bhp (not sure if that was at the wheels or not).

I know some 260 owners have fitted the Accufab throttle body - what does that give above standard?

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 10:15   #19
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Those Wheelr dealers Fgures are a bit optimistic ,probably read straight off the sales blurb....

If you can, have a peer at Johnnys Motorsports on the old Facebook..

He is currently developing & selling a whipple Blower kit for just our engines .

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 16:55   #20
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A throttle body, manifolds and pulleys would give 20hp max. The reason the Wheeler dealers car had more performance was because the lowered the gearing.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote