Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th June 2016, 08:48   #1
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Default 4.6 V8's: Going down the N/A route...

Hi all,

I’ve found myself learning more about V8 tuning whilst looking for a Yank Muscle car and naturally, I’ve been thinking about the Mustang lump in the ZT260.

Whilst being a fan of the K turbo, I’ve always fancied the 260 but the standard output hasn’t quite done it for me. Before, it seemed that the only way to get a good output was to go down the supercharger route which was expensive and now unavailable through the usual UK based channels.

What I’d like to ask V8 owners and enthusiasts is has anyone gone down the N/A route? Dreadnaught have I think…

Trick Flow, an American outfit offer a top end kit which promises 390bhp – click here for info. At $3,400 (plus shipping and import taxes), it seems like good value. There’ll of course need to be a few other bits sorted but I can’t see it exceeding the cost of a supercharger install. There are some unknowns on my part though. What ECU does the 260 use? MG-R or Mustang? These tweaks would need to be mapped in and I’m unsure if there are the capabilities over here to do it. I’m sure I read that K Maps (formally ZandF) had an offering which implies that they’ve ‘got in’.

Has anyone done it? All constructive comments welcome.

Cheers

James
Old 8th June 2016, 11:35   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The engine itself has a Ford ECU with the added complication of what is referred to as the gateway interface module which allows the various ECUs to talk to each other.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 13:35   #3
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The engine itself has a Ford ECU with the added complication of what is referred to as the gateway interface module which allows the various ECUs to talk to each other.
That's interesting.

I would assume that the gateway ECU is purely there to decipher the information from the Mustang ECU to allow the standard ZT accessories and instruments to function.

I assume the OBD port would be a direct connection to the Mustang ECU (unless someone knows different).

I'm sure that when Dreadnaught fit the supercharger they must tinker with the Mustang ECU to take the extra power.

If all the above is correct, the N/A tuning upgrade should be a viable alternative to the Supercharger.

What do you think?
Old 8th June 2016, 17:09   #4
micksnr
Regular poster

mg zt 500

Don't worry about the gateway, I had quite a few remaps on mine over the years.
The problem going the N/A route is RPM, the V8s rods don't like high RPM. Forged Rods, Forged Pistons a full rebuild and balance will probably cost 3.5-4k. Making the engine reliable and then N/A tuning is a lot more expensive than the Blower route, and the blower route has the potential of 600bhp.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:09   #5
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
Trick Flow's,
Trick Flow's need more technical info, They have been tried on a 260 and failed due to oil passage ways being incorrect?
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 18:51   #6
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksnr View Post
Don't worry about the gateway, I had quite a few remaps on mine over the years.
The problem going the N/A route is RPM, the V8s rods don't like high RPM. Forged Rods, Forged Pistons a full rebuild and balance will probably cost 3.5-4k. Making the engine reliable and then N/A tuning is a lot more expensive than the Blower route, and the blower route has the potential of 600bhp.
Hi Mick

Good point about the N/A and stressing the engine at high revs as I probably wouldn't be able to resist giving it stick.

What would you say is a safe max RPM limit if going down the N/A route without forging? The yanks seem to rate the engine.

I'm perhaps leaning back to superchargers - what's the thoughts on centrifugal superchargers as they seem extremely popular in the states and look to be a very easy kit to fit with a stated 400-406bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Trick Flow's need more technical info, They have been tried on a 260 and failed due to oil passage ways being incorrect?
Hi Andy

I did read that you need to ensure that the hollow head dowl is in the correct location to ensure correct oil feed so maybe this is the problem.

I don't suppose you could link me to the failed attempt you reference so I can see if that was the problem.

Cheers
Old 8th June 2016, 19:09   #7
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

Quote:
What would you say is a safe max RPM limit if going down the N/A route without forging?

Hi Andy
I don't suppose you could link me to the failed attempt you reference so I can see if that was the problem.
6,100 is the Max RPM. Power drops off at 5,500 RPM.

I will look for it and see what I can Cut and Paste (it is in the Owners Only Section)
Old 8th June 2016, 19:11   #8
micksnr
Regular poster

mg zt 500

If you want low down torque go the twin screw blower route, if you want to rev it go with a Vortex. Both are good at what they do, John at John Sleath race cars runs a 4.6 Mustang with a vortex fitted and properly mapped, but he likes the way mine just pulls from low down. As for safe RPM I'd make sure it didn't go past 6k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power graph.jpg (117.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 8th June 2016, 19:11   #9
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
6,100 is the Max RPM. Power drops off at 5,500 RPM.

I will look for it and see what I can Cut and Paste (it is in the Owners Only Section)
You're a gent, cheers buddy
Old 8th June 2016, 19:29   #10
AndyG
Passed Away

MG ZTT400 SHM

Quote:
You're a gent, cheers buddy
It's a long thread but the outcome was: No money was lost by the owner who fitted a replacement standard engine.

More research is needed as they (Trick Flow) are fitted to many mustangs with no ill effect.