Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: London & The South
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2016, 21:42   #71
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Thanks to one and all for a fantastic day out! I for one thoroughly enjoyed the day and the company! I'm so glad I was able to attend a meet at long last...

And thanks for all the truly great photographs!!!

NB. I'm afraid I will put my hand up as far as parking goes but I think there was a bit a a 'Domino Effect' down the line whereby I had to straddle the line to park and to open my door safely in consideration of the car parked to my right.
I did not realise until now that the infringement had cause such nuisance - I only wish it had been brought to my notice so I could have quite happily moved... Apologies...
Old 10th January 2016, 22:50   #72
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Thanks to one and all for a fantastic day out! I for one thoroughly enjoyed the day and the company! I'm so glad I was able to attend a meet at long last...

And thanks for all the truly great photographs!!!

NB. I'm afraid I will put my hand up as far as parking goes but I think there was a bit a a 'Domino Effect' down the line whereby I had to straddle the line to park and to open my door safely in consideration of the car parked to my right.
I did not realise until now that the infringement had cause such nuisance - I only wish it had been brought to my notice so I could have quite happily moved... Apologies...
No need to apologise, I was fully aware of the domino effect that created the situation. The Domino effect was created by someone who was not part of our group and had left by the time the manager spoke to me.
What infuriated me was when I tried to explain the reason to the "manager" he cut me off mid sentence, not prepared to listen.
As the majority know, I arrived at 10.45 and as poster of the event, stayed in a very cold car park until lunch time, so witnessed all of the parking situation, which is more than the "manager" did.
Two things annoyed me, his intransigent approach to the matter and his valuation of the opinion of a party of 3 in one car rather than valuing the revenue created by 22 diners.

To clarify why I'm not happy with the way the manager spoke to me, although there were plenty of vacant parking spaces elsewhere, he acted on a complaint that the party of 3 wanted to park nearer to the entrance and did not like the additional walking distance.

Worse still, as previously stated, when I showed him I was parked the way he would like but could not open my drivers door because someone not in our party had parked irresponsibly, his response was, that's your problem not mine, double standards!

Finally, I understand the complaint was made before we dined but bought to my attention after they'd got our money, an act of cowardice by the manager in my opinion so as far as I'm concerned, none of our group need to apologise to The Ely, in fact Old English Inns should apologise for appointing a manager who is incapable of diplomatically resolving a minor issue.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 23:10   #73
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Has anybody tried the Raven at Hook as a suitable venue?

https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/our...ven-hotel-hook
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 00:06   #74
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Has anybody tried the Raven at Hook as a suitable venue?

https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/our...ven-hotel-hook
Thanks for the suggestion, up until now it's never been necessary to seek an alternative to The Ely but maybe we should look elsewhere. However I'm also aware that a change should not be made just because a manager of limited diplomatic skills handled a minor situation very badly.

There is also the possibility that Old English Inns manager selection process is at fault and by moving to another Old English Inn, it could be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Personally I still believe in terms of location value for money and ambience, The Ely is a perfect venue but being old school generation from when businesses were grateful for your patronage, I cannot come to terms with the attitude that customers should be grateful that the business is willing to take their money.

That aside, I certainly won't allow the actions of an imbecilic manager detract from my enjoyment of meeting up with nice bunch of 75 devotees.
Old 11th January 2016, 06:35   #75
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
For a minute there I thought it was the kitchen sink in the back of Ed's Tourer!... lol.
We did see you very briefly Bill sorry about that may be next time
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 09:22   #76
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts
Default Ely Meet 10th Jan

Well done Alan for organising a well attended excellent meet. As always good to meet the usual suspects and several newbies. The more the merrier. As an aside, if folk want a short walk to the Pub entrance they should arrive earlier in my opinion. Cowardly way out is to complain to the Manager and not come and talk to us, who were all standing around and highly visiible. WE could have then explained how it occurred, by someone else's poor parking.
As always, good food, good company, a little fettling here and there. What's not to like.
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:18   #77
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
Well done Alan for organising a well attended excellent meet. As always good to meet the usual suspects and several newbies. The more the merrier. As an aside, if folk want a short walk to the Pub entrance they should arrive earlier in my opinion. Cowardly way out is to complain to the Manager and not come and talk to us, who were all standing around and highly visiible. WE could have then explained how it occurred, by someone else's poor parking.
As always, good food, good company, a little fettling here and there. What's not to like.
Even though I was not at the meet, Alan has my full support. I hope he does not feel too disheartened by the managers behaviour. At the last meet we went to at The Ely, a Chelsea tractor pulled up and parked across two parking spaces. The lady driver was asked to readjust the parking and this was no problem to sort out. Everyone was happy.

A shame the manager spoke to Alan like that, but these things happen and is an insight into the managers personality and boundaries. This is something to watch out for the future, if The Ely is to continue to remain a successful and popular meeting place

As an after thought perhaps look at the Harvesters in the area as they have big car parks and good food

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 11th January 2016 at 12:35.. Reason: Edited
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:29   #78
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Derek, firstly sincere apologies to Lilian for not chatting to her, didn't realise you had to leave early.

As for trying to keep the Ely meet going, yes a few of us are trying to ensure it does continue, on the other hand I do not think a "manager" who approaches me as organiser and says, unless you abide my rules don't bring your party back.
Read my response to Rev Jules and maybe you'll understand why I take this attitude.
This "so called manager" waited until he'd got all of our money, then addressed me like a naughty school boy.
In the good old days a manager would have thanked me for the business, not berate me for a minor transgression by some of the party.
At the very least in the good old days he would have been more diplomatic in the way he dealt with the problem.
Hi Alan
I do agree with you regarding the manager and his attitude I fear things maybe moving in the same direction overpriced a dismissive attitude by management though to be fair the serving staff were great and did all they could for us.If you remember we did start planning options last year maybe it's time to dust off the old plans and look again.
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:37   #79
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Unhappy

what next we have lost the Frog and wicket The Star and now the Ely looks like it will be next
Well that would competly finish me
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 12:56   #80
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
I do not consider that I took a cowardly way out and to be fair, over half the attendees were still at the meal table when the incident occurred.