Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2014, 09:20   #1
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Default Testing a new all-Rover diagnostic kit - June 15th, North London

Hi Chaps,

As an owner of multiple MG Rovers (a lot of us are!) with ECUs that are not OBD2 compliant (argh!) reading fault codes is a nightmare. Personally, I don't think I'd get enough use to justify the purchase of a T4, but I'd actually like to have an affordable fault code reader that will help with diagnostics on my cars at home (two MGFs, '03 ZTT CDTi)

Recently I've bumped into Phillip Christain - a Peugeot enthusiast who has an interest in things electronic and encrypted interfaces. He's been working on a widget for Rover vehicles that can retrieve fault codes, reset fault codes and service lights, read live data etc from most of the car's ECUs - airbag, ABS, Engine ECU...

This struck me as "a very good idea" and so I've been helping him out to develop his interface using my MGFs and ZTT. Actually the process has been really useful as I found that my ZT's MAF was giving no signal reading whatsoever and was therefore responsible for poor engine running... very pleased.

I have absolutely no business or financial interest in this kit - but it looks really useful for my aging Rovers!

With the help of MGF Register forum, I am putting together a testing session where anyone with an MG Rover car can come to see whether Phillip's kit works on their car, and retrieve fault codes that were otherwise invisible, reset those codes etc. The up-side for Phillip is that he'll be giving his interface a real field test (and hopefully he'll be able to test his interface on cars he's not seen before - I know it works on my diesel ZTT, but whether or not it works on a KV6 is anyone's guess at the moment). The up-side to the community is that here will be a legitimate, British designed and built diagnostic reader without ridiculously restrictive and expensive licensing agreements - so has good potential as a good home DIY tool.

The day will be open to all MGs, Rovers, Lotus, Caterhams and any other vehicle fitted with a Rover engine and ECU(s).

Location is North London, on the Friern Barnet Retail Park (nice and quiet, with a nearby McD's and a Halfords in the event of "problems") from 10am-2pm on Sunday 15th June.

It's all free (beneficial to all parties I think) - but let me know if you are interested just so I can get an idea of numbers
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 11:29   #2
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

To far away for me + I'm at work, but sounds very promising!
Old 5th June 2014, 12:00   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Too far for me as well , but I am very interested and hope this can progress . Keep up the good work and good luck
Sounds like a very marketable widget !
Old 5th June 2014, 19:24   #4
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Put me down as a possible, please
Old 9th June 2014, 10:38   #5
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Great - will do!

For those who are are going to the Essex meet on the same day at the Halfway House, Phillip will be heading over there in the afternoon, so you can catch up with him there

Cheers
Old 11th June 2014, 17:03   #6
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

A sneaky bump - all welcome to join our merry band of beta-testers on Father's day