Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd October 2019, 11:47   #21
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Dave- so sorry to hear you had to throw in the towel on this one. It is so frustrating to have to admit defeat, but I must say this is one of worst jobs I have encountered on any car I have worked on over the years. I think getting the bushes off with the arm on the car is probably feasible if you have a ramp, or can get it supported really high. I follow the official Rover manual method which is to remove the whole arm then use a puller to replace the bush on the bench. I also unbolt the ARB from the drop link and remove the ARB bush housing so you can swing the ARB out of the way - this gives you good access to the 18mm rear bush bolts with a breaker bar or ratchet bar. I am sure there will be howls of derision from many quarters along with cries of 'you don't want to do that' from various experts on here, but I am getting too old now to worry about that - I find methods that work for me, and which make the job less stressful !

I hope the garage gets it sorted for you.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 19:59   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Dave- so sorry to hear you had to throw in the towel on this one. It is so frustrating to have to admit defeat, but I must say this is one of worst jobs I have encountered on any car I have worked on over the years. I think getting the bushes off with the arm on the car is probably feasible if you have a ramp, or can get it supported really high. I follow the official Rover manual method which is to remove the whole arm then use a puller to replace the bush on the bench. I also unbolt the ARB from the drop link and remove the ARB bush housing so you can swing the ARB out of the way - this gives you good access to the 18mm rear bush bolts with a breaker bar or ratchet bar. I am sure there will be howls of derision from many quarters along with cries of 'you don't want to do that' from various experts on here, but I am getting too old now to worry about that - I find methods that work for me, and which make the job less stressful !

I hope the garage gets it sorted for you.

Cheers

Pete
Pete, take a look at this picture........

Pictured are the ramps I made thirty four years ago as part of my MMA welding coding exercise.

These are the ramps I changed both nearside and offside track control arm rear bushes last month in 25 minutes from start to finish, on my back, on my driveway

They are not a vehicle hoist, and they are no higher than commercially available DIY car ramps.

The only spanner size used was an 18mm combination, and no further dismantling of suspension was necessary other than to remove the two M14 bolts securing the bush housing.

Dave's difficulty in removing the bush from the arm is simple, the bush housing is fouled on the floorpan, this is due to the arm having not been wedged downwards sufficiently as described in my "how too"

Remembering the first time I did this job, where it took me six hours to replace one bush, I learned from this mistake and modified the technique employed accordingly.

The modified technique is by far and away the easiest method for the DIYer using no special tools, and this is why I detailed the method in a blow by blow write up.

It does not carry the risk of damage to ball joint covers by virtue of complete avoidance of unnecessary dismantling.

Dave had moved the bush a considerable way along the hexagonal casting, so all that was required was to articulate the arm into a position where the cast iron housing was not fouling the floor, and the removal would have been a complete success.

Sadly as he is 300 miles away, I cannot lend a hand personally, but I can offer informed advise based upon his picture what to do next

If removal of the complete arm works for you then that is also fine, however when it comes to removal of the centre ball joint, more people struggle with that operation than most.........myself included

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote