Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2018, 23:32   #11
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Going forwards, neither will be of great value for many a year yet, it wont matter what fuel type it runs on.
Not in my lifetime!

Things are different now, cars these days are more of a throw-a-way thing. The next batch of vehicles will be electric, there will be nobody around who will know how to fix these ICE cars, or even want to get their hands dirty trying.

By the way, I drive a diesel, not because of the fuel benefit but because I have always liked the power delivery of the diesel engine. Plus the long-legged feel on motorways. To me, they are very relaxing to drive.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 12th August 2018 at 23:35..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 23:43   #12
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
The govt won't need to hike the tax to get fossil fuel cars off the road, they'll keep gently pushing fuel duty up to coerce us into driving more and more fuel efficient cars
There is a problem with electric cars that is very rarely mentioned. The government makes billions on the revenue on petrol and diesel. If we all went electric the government would be in serious trouble.

BORN
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Old 12th August 2018, 23:50   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
There is a problem with electric cars that is very rarely mentioned. The government makes billions on the revenue on petrol and diesel. If we all went electric the government would be in serious trouble.
I suspect that if we all start jumping to electric cars, we would soon see (a) a rise in the price of electricity, (b) additional tax on electricity for cars.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 05:44   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

As said not sure these are generally cars for an investment. A car I would buy, a diesel because I tow a caravan.
1.8 petrol to many stories of engine problems
Other petrol, fuel costs make expensive to run.
I like the sound of the V6 and a mint mustang is without something different, something to show off.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 05:45   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I suspect that if we all start jumping to electric cars, we would soon see (a) a rise in the price of electricity, (b) additional tax on electricity for cars.
There would have to be.

plus, what about the emissions from creating electric?

Anyway, to get back on track. I wouldn't bother buying a Rover or MG with the hope of using it as an investment. There is the risk that old ICE cars may stop becoming collectable as they slowly get pushed off the roads. Can you imagine what the world will be like 25 or 30 years from now? Parents won't let their children go near a running ICE vehicle without breathing apparatus lol, or perhaps they could look at one in a museum, but not get too close because they killed millions of people lol.

BORN
Old 13th August 2018, 05:52   #16
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

If you're gonna lock it in a garage and not use it I don't suppose it matters. If you're gonna use it then it will have so many miles on it won't be worth anything. I won't be around by the time they become classics so I always advocate driving (and consequently enjoying) them. For an investment, get an ISA.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 07:09   #17
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Not in my lifetime!

Things are different now, cars these days are more of a throw-a-way thing. The next batch of vehicles will be electric, there will be nobody around who will know how to fix these ICE cars, or even want to get their hands dirty trying.

By the way, I drive a diesel, not because of the fuel benefit but because I have always liked the power delivery of the diesel engine. Plus the long-legged feel on motorways. To me, they are very relaxing to drive.
Oh yes! - that long legged effortless cruising you get from the diesel. And I would add the oomph of power delivery from 50mph to 70mph - this is so smooth and powerful that sailing through the 70mph limit is a regular problem.

In summary it’s the lazy effortless power of the diesel that I like and whilst I appreciate that the V6 is a great engine - it is a bit “busy” for me.

As for future “investment” - don’t forget to take into account the ongoing RFL, cost of servicing and mpg.

It may be that a pristine example of either fuel type will be worth a small fortune in 20 or 30 years time. But it won’t be my particular example as I use mine as a workhorse and as an investment for me today - the diesel is proving itself to be a wise choice indeed.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 07:15   #18
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
If you're gonna lock it in a garage and not use it I don't suppose it matters. If you're gonna use it then it will have so many miles on it won't be worth anything. I won't be around by the time they become classics so I always advocate driving (and consequently enjoying) them. For an investment, get an ISA.
WATCH OUT FOR ISA’s !!!!

Investment ISA’s - yes! - worth having. BUT Cash ISA’s are likely as not to give lower interest than some ordinary accounts and as you can have £1000 a year of interest with no tax to pay - Cash ISA’s are pretty much redundant.

Apologies for slight tangent!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 07:26   #19
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

As said before if the goverment have their way diesel will be the first to go and a few years later petrol will probably follow . So out of the Two for long term investment its going to be petrol .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 08:00   #20
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I think it will be more radical than that .... I suspect the government will move toward satellite tracked road tolling, where you will be billed for every mile driven on the road plus additional add ons for peak time / congested area / city centre travel.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote