Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th October 2016, 21:00   #21
zefrench
Avid contributor

Freelander V6

Further investigation. After the recent oil change after doing the timing belts, I looked into the camshaft cover where the oil cap is. Notice the tremendous amount of "mayo" now.

I will update again when I have another update.
zefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 22:52   #22
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I would check the inlet manifold gaskets.

I've had a number of attempts at overcoming a similar issue.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...+gasket&page=2

My last attempt at replacing these has been the most succesfull, thanks to advice from Simon (SD1too) in terms of the tightening sequence.

It lasted around 3 months, but has now started leaking again, albeit at a much lesser rate than previously.

To me it's clear they are only just capable of doing the job.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:49   #23
zefrench
Avid contributor

Freelander V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I would check the inlet manifold gaskets.

I've had a number of attempts at overcoming a similar issue.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...+gasket&page=2

My last attempt at replacing these has been the most succesfull, thanks to advice from Simon (SD1too) in terms of the tightening sequence.

It lasted around 3 months, but has now started leaking again, albeit at a much lesser rate than previously.

To me it's clear they are only just capable of doing the job.

Thanks for the info, very handy to have. however I have not touched the inlet manifolds or thermostat or water pump since I started this thread so I don't think this applies to me as it would not explain the pressure build up I get in the expansion tank (over 19 PSI measured)
Old 13th August 2018, 01:57   #24
zefrench
Avid contributor

Freelander V6

Update on the coolant loss. I actually put some head gasket sealant and the leak is gone (I was loosing around 250ml per 30 mins trip now).

What I actually did is to bypass the heating matrix and the oil cooler so that when I put the sealant I would have less issue.

I then drained the coolant, rinsed and filled with distilled water the use the product called Blue Devil poor and go. I ran this for a few days until the white smoke out the tail pipe went away, then drained and rinsed the coolant and put back coolant into it.

Roughly 4 weeks into it, no loss still, plenty of heat and no more coolant in the oil when doing an oil change.

Of note, I am running a Kaiser aluminium thermostat housing and associated pipes (made for a Rover 75 car) and I did not remove the thermostat in this process.

Old 13th August 2018, 06:42   #25
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I have had success with using a sealer in my 1.8T, in spite of all the contrary advice on this forum. I used Wondarweld, and it cured my 1.8T for good, until another issue arose, I forget which

so sometimes this remedy works, no doubt!

Your inlet manifold gaskets can be responsible for water loss, but never for excess pressure.

The inlet manifold sealing design is flawed, at best.
Incompetent is - however - most likely closer to home.

Glad you seem to have cured the problem.

Just on a side note. Distilled water, nothing wrong with it. But it is really an overkill. If your system works, the water is in there for good (yeah, I know, I know, it is a Rover!)
Comparing this with a kettle that scales, or a geyser that does the same, is not relevant, as these devices see fresh water being filled repeatedly, thus an accumulation of scale from thousands of liters of water! That is obviously
not the case here.
Old 13th August 2018, 14:13   #26
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
so sometimes this remedy works, no doubt!

It does indeed. The proviso is to use it correctly by letting it do the job and then remove every trace. The OP did just that, so the lazy man problems from secondary blockages are avoided. Of course there are good sealant formulas and bad ones. The one that gets slated most on here is a bad one.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 21:23   #27
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrench View Post
Hi all

I have a KV6 Freelander (same engine) that I am very convinced the head gasket on the head of cylinder 1,3,5 has gone.

I loose roughly 250 ml of coolant every 50ish km.

The thermostat has been changed to Kaiser's excellent aluminium one.

I pressure tested the expansion bottle cap, it does let pressure out at 16 PSI. The coolant system holds pressure as well when pressure tested.

When I run the engine at idle, the coolant system does not over-pressurize, but as soon as I go over 2000 RPM, the pressure rises. I stopped the test at 19 PSI, I did not want to break anything. I cannot think of anything else that would raise the pressure so high.

I also did a compression test, and after adjusting value (the Lisle compression tester I own is known for being +20 psi over) I get the following

2: 173 4: 174 6: 175

1: 175 3: 126 5: 182

I did a chemical test, but maybe I did not wait long enough, it turned green but not yellow. Other then a cylinder leak test, what other tests could I do?

There is no "mayo" in the oil.

I live in Canada so parts are always pricey to ship so I want to run as many tests as possible.

Hi. Add some oil to cylinder 3 to determine if it is rings or the valves that are causing the low compression on that cylinder.
It may just be sticky piston rings, or it could be a badly seating valve.
I do not think the water consumption is being caused by the engine using it I think you will find you have a leak somewhere.
I have just gone through a similar problem with my 75 Diesel. Where it was leaving a slight puddle under its self sometimes.
Eventually tracked it down to the stat housing sealing rubber on the six month old thermostat. Took me over a month and every test in the book. Eventually I started changing each component one at a time was very lucky that the stat and housing was item three on my list. I now find myself with spare hoses and rads for the car, more spares for the shelf.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 18:22   #28
zefrench
Avid contributor

Freelander V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Hi. Add some oil to cylinder 3 to determine if it is rings or the valves that are causing the low compression on that cylinder.
It may just be sticky piston rings, or it could be a badly seating valve.
I do not think the water consumption is being caused by the engine using it I think you will find you have a leak somewhere.
I have just gone through a similar problem with my 75 Diesel. Where it was leaving a slight puddle under its self sometimes.
Eventually tracked it down to the stat housing sealing rubber on the six month old thermostat. Took me over a month and every test in the book. Eventually I started changing each component one at a time was very lucky that the stat and housing was item three on my list. I now find myself with spare hoses and rads for the car, more spares for the shelf.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was also getting coolant in my oil, a fair amount, this has stoped since I changed the oil 4 weeks after doing the coolant sealer.

I will have to rerun the pressure system test to see if it is pressurizing itself again as well in addition to adding the oil to do a compression test.