Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th August 2018, 12:37   #1
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Default Windscreen wiper motor problems

Hi folks,

The wipers on my 75 were working, in all speeds, but the motor was making a racket.

I therefore bought a 2nd hand wiper assembly including motor from eBay for £15 and swapped them over.

Now the wipers are quiet, but only operate very slowly. Slower than I remember the slowest speed being, and it is the same slow speed whatever speed you choose on the stalk.

Obviously you've no idea what you're getting with 2nd hand parts from eBay, but it seems unlikely that two of these motors are duff, they seem to be very reliable.

Before I head off to eBay and order yet another assembly and motor, does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks.
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 18:32   #2
gazcon
Avid contributor

Update - the electrics have gone up the wall.

Turn ignition to position 2 and things don't seem at all right, yellow exclamation mark on the dash, strange clicking noises, completely dead if you try to start it.

Fantastic.

Disconnected the battery and put it on charge for a couple of hours in case it was that, but just tried again and still no joy.

Can only think that when removing the scuttle panel and wipers I must have disturbed some wiring that is now shorting or making a bad earth.

I've visually inspected what I can see. There's not much I could have disturbed really, only the wiring to the wiper motor which all looks fine and what looks to be an earth wire in large shrink wrap that attaches to the bolt on the passenger side bonnet strut (I don't have this on my facelift, this one's a Cowley). This was in the way of removing the scuttle panel so had to be manouvered around.

Such a simple job, wipers off, scuttle panel off, three bolts out and swapped wiper assembly over, reassembled and now the car is dead

Any suggestions?
Old 17th August 2018, 08:13   #3
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Retrace your steps to see if you’ve disturbed anything.
Try disconnecting the wiper motor and also check to see if you disturbed any connectors on the ecu.
Old 17th August 2018, 17:23   #4
gazcon
Avid contributor

I've started a new thread with more details specifically for the electrical gremlins, as the problem's progressed the title of this one isn't really relevant any more.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=287142