Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st October 2009, 13:04   #1
doublekite
My other car is a bus

2005 Jaguar S Type 2.7D automatic and 2007 Jaguar S Type XS 2.7D automatic

Default Rear saloon window trim

Can anyone explain how the chrome rear window trim fits please? On mine the rubber edging has started to break up in places and seems quite brittle, and I wondered how easy they are to replace.
doublekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 13:50   #2
P63500S
Loves to post

Toyota celica but looking for 75 or zt

Red face

Good question, I too would like to know. My zt rear window trim is coated in black paint/powder coated, and is now showing more chrome then black. Flicked through the Haynes with no luck. Im sure someone at this excellent club will be along soon with the answer.:lol:
Old 1st October 2009, 15:50   #3
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

In my past I worked for a windscreen company (in Sales mind).

Virtually all bonded screens (and our front & rears are bonded) are fitted with the trims already sitting around the screen. This means that the trims are also bonded to the car's bodywork. Unfortunately this means you cannot simply replace the trims when they wear or come loose.

You would need to "cut out" the screen and then clean off the old bond, prime the bodywork, apply new bond, new trims and then re-fit the screen.

Not a job for a DIY'er really as if you break the screen...........

Good fitters could usually get a windscreen out without cracking but not always.

HTH

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 15:53   #4
v192mak
Banned

Saloon V6 Connie SE & MG Rover T4

They are clipped in and tend to break when removed.
v192mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 15:54   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekosb View Post
In my past I worked for a windscreen company (in Sales mind).

Virtually all bonded screens (and our front & rears are bonded) are fitted with the trims already sitting around the screen. This means that the trims are also bonded to the car's bodywork. Unfortunately this means you cannot simply replace the trims when they wear or come loose.

You would need to "cut out" the screen and then clean off the old bond, prime the bodywork, apply new bond, new trims and then re-fit the screen.

Not a job for a DIY'er really as if you break the screen...........

Good fitters could usually get a windscreen out without cracking but not always.

HTH

Derek
When I had a rear screen fitted in my R75 saloon, they used the old trims so there must be a way to seperate them
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 16:18   #6
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
When I had a rear screen fitted in my R75 saloon, they used the old trims so there must be a way to seperate them
Are you talking about the chrome insert or the rubber surround that was re-used (or both)?

It can vary from car to car and I have had no direct experience with the 75 windows I am afraid. I therefore may be wrong. However, in many cases the rubber or plastic trim grips (a U shape) the edge of the glass all the way around and sometimes this can get caught in the bond. That will usually tear/break when removed.

Ours are slightly more sophisticated than the average trim as it has a chrome insert. The chrome parts can generally be re-used without a problem. It is the rubber trims that are often replaced with the screen if they were caught in the bond.

Remember, generally trims on bonded screens do nothing but hide the gap in the bodywork between glass and metal (allowing contraction/expansion for heating and cooling).

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote