Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2010, 06:50   #1
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Default Totally frustrated!

Don't get me wrong I really like my R75, certainly been the best overall car that I have owned by a long way, BUT...it has taken me a long time and considerable amount of money in acheiving the ultimate driving experience, some of the many mods/upgrades I have completed are as follows, EGR bypass valve, PCV filter(fit & forget), Synergy 2 with pierburg maf, engine remap, powerflow stainless steel cat back exhaust, mk2 air intake mod, these are just a few of the important ones I have done in an effort to improve the efficiency, performance and equally important to improve the fuel consumption, anyway the reason I mention all this is that the car has developed a problem which I think is recent, and with the above mentioned items replaced/upgraded may rule out some obvious areas. Right on with the problem, upon hard or even moderate acceleration the car spews out a load of black smoke, I'm not talking about a little puff but quite a considerable amount which leads me onto thinking it might be a fuelling problem, possibly? so what like to get your expert views on the matter, because the only thing that hasn't been looked at is the injectors, and what with the MOT due very soon I'm worried it may not pass So maybe someone can point me in the right direction as to what the possible problem could be.
MalteseMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 07:03   #2
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

I'd try a generous shot of 2T oil (500ml in a full tank) and take the car for a damn good thrash before you get too carried away with diagnosing even more problems!
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 07:12   #3
Brigus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

You may have answered your own question - injectors. Black smoke usually means too much fuel is being chucked into the mix. There are other explanations (more tech-adept folk will no doubt be along shortly) but injectors are a good starting point to check. These are of course normal wear items so need replacing on any car sooner or later.
Old 6th June 2010, 07:21   #4
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
I'd try a generous shot of 2T oil (500ml in a full tank) and take the car for a damn good thrash before you get too carried away with diagnosing even more problems!
Actually I'll add to that....
  • Add the 2T oil to the fuel.
  • Get the engine hot. If your thermostat is okay the needle should be around the middle of the temp gauge. (If not you need to sort that too!)
  • Drive another 20 miles to make sure the engine is hot all over.
  • Then find a clear open road and rev it past 4000rpm (in second or third is fine) for 5 to 10 seconds, repeat several times.
  • Keep doing this until you just see just a fine grey haze.
If you glance in the mirrors the first few times you might think the engine has exploded but you should find that after a half-dozen or so attempts there is far less black smoke.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:28   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

First( if you haven't done them already) to check is the intercooler elbow oil seals, or loose or damaged intercooler hoses or rarely a hole in the intercooler, problems that cause the symptoms you describe.

New Vitron ones that don't swell are available from Jules.

A good dose of injector cleaner can do wonders 1/2 a bottle in a tank wil normally do it.

If those don't work further investigation may be required, note that the Synergy will exaggerate any injector problems.

Other possible causes are overfuelling Maf or injector problem.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 6th June 2010 at 12:49..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:14   #6
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.t1 View Post
Upon hard or even moderate acceleration the car spews out a load of black smoke, I'm not talking about a little puff but quite a considerable amount which leads me onto thinking it might be a fuelling problem, possibly? so what like to get your expert views on the matter, because the only thing that hasn't been looked at is the injectors, and what with the MOT due very soon I'm worried it may not pass So maybe someone can point me in the right direction as to what the possible problem could be.
As you are not too far from us it may be worth calling & speaking to Ralph to see what he sugests & if it is an issue that you can't do yourself then hopefully we can assist.
01634 388999
www.mgr-service.com
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:17   #7
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Lots of black smoke is too much fuel/too little air, both of which can be linked together in certain places.
Some good suggestions above, which I won't repeat because it annoys some people

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:30   #8
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGGY View Post
Lots of black smoke is too much fuel/too little air, both of which can be linked together in certain places.
This is a good point.

marc.t1 you could try turning the Synergy to the lowest setting (or even run with the 'tuning' switched off) and see if there is any difference to the production of smoke.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:52   #9
philjudo
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 CDTI Saloon Club SE

Might be the synergy setting, try turning it down to maybe a 4 or even disconnect it then try it, but it certainly sounds like overfueling but that would rule out the synergy.

Last edited by philjudo; 6th June 2010 at 13:54..
philjudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 15:31   #10
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
This is a good point.

marc.t1 you could try turning the Synergy to the lowest setting (or even run with the 'tuning' switched off) and see if there is any difference to the production of smoke.
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, just replying to the above mentioned points, I have actually been running for the last day with the synergy turned off, but the mafam switched on to see if that made any difference, which it has slightly, so I will be doing what has also been recommended with the injector cleaner and give the car a good run to see if that will improve it, otherwise it will have to be professionally looked at and i'm sure that will be yet more £££
MalteseMarc is offline   Reply With Quote