Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2011, 13:52   #31
BeeJay55
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer, Connoisseur SE

I wonder if there is a parallel thread on a BMW owner's forum complaining about Rover drivers ?
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:34   #32
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

And here is Mark(muey) with his connie se outside, diesel with no extra boosts that enjoys the relaxin drive to work in his mobile armchair! 4 X 4 are a pain, i agree, but we all can drive badly at times, when you are sat in a 75, whatever variant, you learn to give that little more/less respect, well i do and it usually works,lol
regards, Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:47   #33
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Right, i'm going to set everyone screaming here but last year in October I was in Spain and Portugal. Quick overview, I catch the ferry to Santander and then hire a car and drive down to Porto, Portugal to see family etc.

Anyway, on this occasion the car I had chosen to use, a new Fiesta, was not ready, unusual for Hertz, so we were offered, wait for it, a BMW 118d, and to be honest I was quite pleased. That was until I drove it, didn't like the engine, gutless under 2000rpm. so invariably stalled it when trying to proceed in 2nd at anything below 20kph! Didn't like the clutch, and reverse parking was well, thank goodness it had parking sensors, (very much like the Rovers actually) otherwise things could have got nasty.

But hang on, I will have to say this in it's defence, it was magic on the motorways! Quiet, refined, comfortable, great Climate Control and lots of power on tap at speed! Couldn't fault it - Really. The miles just flew by.

But overall if using it in town, not nice, not nice at all.
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:03   #34
savvy
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Bad time to say I just replaced my ZT with this then

savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:26   #35
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
Bad time to say I just replaced my ZT with this then
Not if you like it. I am sure it drives great and is well built. For me it is just the design of it that I do not like!!

What are your thoughts on it??

Ed.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:51   #36
savvy
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Not if you like it. I am sure it drives great and is well built. For me it is just the design of it that I do not like!!

What are your thoughts on it??

Ed.
Doesn't feel as big as the ZT or have the big car feel on the motorway but other wise it's a very solid car.
45mpg round town and 60mpg on a run. Supposedly 70mpg is achievable but she's only 10 days old so need a few more miles before seeing such figures.

Performance is marginally improved over the ZT (it's a 118d) but has a very progressive boost so the feel isn't as rushed as a synergy'd cdti.

Handles extremely well. As you'd expect for RWD. Marginal understeer (it has m sport suspension) and points very firmly in any direction you choose at minimal notice.

Indicators work well and used as frequently as they were on the ZT

The engine sounds identical to the cdti just slightly quieter.

Someone mentioned the clutch too. It takes some getting used to as it has quite a low biting point which gives an almost on/off feel and once you lift your foot you almost feel propelled back into the seat (mainly as you pull off in second). Brakes work similar with the on/off feel as well but once you get used to being delicate with the peddles, it's not too bad.

119g co2, 30 quid for 12 months tax, combined 63mpg and low company car tax, it was a no brainer.

An equivalent Golf or Focus worked out a lot more lease cost wise due to depreciation (1 series isn't that great though on depreciation) and the 3 series being slightly heavier up'd the co2 to the next benefit in kind tax bracket.

So for me, the 118d with a few extras made a lot of sense.
savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 07:40   #37
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
I know what you mean about Beemer drivers, but personally I think they are being replaced by Audi Drivers........
and skoda octavia's here in ireland
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 10:31   #38
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
Doesn't feel as big as the ZT or have the big car feel on the motorway but other wise it's a very solid car.
45mpg round town and 60mpg on a run. Supposedly 70mpg is achievable but she's only 10 days old so need a few more miles before seeing such figures.

Performance is marginally improved over the ZT (it's a 118d) but has a very progressive boost so the feel isn't as rushed as a synergy'd cdti.

Handles extremely well. As you'd expect for RWD. Marginal understeer (it has m sport suspension) and points very firmly in any direction you choose at minimal notice.

Indicators work well and used as frequently as they were on the ZT

The engine sounds identical to the cdti just slightly quieter.

Someone mentioned the clutch too. It takes some getting used to as it has quite a low biting point which gives an almost on/off feel and once you lift your foot you almost feel propelled back into the seat (mainly as you pull off in second). Brakes work similar with the on/off feel as well but once you get used to being delicate with the peddles, it's not too bad.

119g co2, 30 quid for 12 months tax, combined 63mpg and low company car tax, it was a no brainer.

An equivalent Golf or Focus worked out a lot more lease cost wise due to depreciation (1 series isn't that great though on depreciation) and the 3 series being slightly heavier up'd the co2 to the next benefit in kind tax bracket.

So for me, the 118d with a few extras made a lot of sense.
You dont get away with an MG for long living in Bracknell.
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 10:32   #39
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
Handles extremely well. As you'd expect for RWD. Marginal understeer (it has m sport suspension)
Watch out, it can turn to oversteer at a very alarming rate, as I found out on long winding on-ramps, you know, the ones that almost do a 360* turn! Watch those revs.