Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2010, 15:45   #11
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
If it's any consolation, my fuel gauge (2002 CDT 75 Tourer) behaves very like the one described.

Moreover, how much it shows seems to be linked in some arcane way to how I'm driving.

If I'm driving economically - as I usually I am - it rises a little sometimes on a trip - as if to reward me almost for my good behaviour.

But then will it fall suddenly and dramatically if I put my foot down - as if it is trying to tell me that if I drive like that for much longer I'll soon be out of fuel.

I thought this phenomenon might be the product of some bored Rover engineers' errant creativity, but how knows.

Cheers
Leander
My cdti fuel gauge performs in exactly the same way! Its shocking to see how much the gauge drops when you give the pedal some welly even just for a mile or so!

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 17:04   #12
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
My cdti fuel gauge performs in exactly the same way! Its shocking to see how much the gauge drops when you give the pedal some welly even just for a mile or so!
I wonder if this odd behaviour is 'normal' then?
Maybe it is but only the fuel gauge watchers notice it.

I also watch my 'range' on the intelligence pack, and that is equally odd, with the range rising and falling periodically at a far faster rate than could be put down to either distance covered or any change in my mpg affecting the computers calculations.
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 17:06   #13
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
I wonder if this odd behaviour is 'normal' then?
Maybe it is but only the fuel gauge watchers notice it.

I also watch my 'range' on the intelligence pack, and that is equally odd, with the range rising and falling periodically at a far faster rate than could be put down to either distance covered or any change in my mpg affecting the computers calculations.
I wonder if the range is calculated on a different basis, maybe using current mpg as opposed to average mpg?

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:37   #14
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
I wonder if the range is calculated on a different basis, maybe using current mpg as opposed to average mpg?
Possibly, but in my experience the rising and falling of the range number occurs no matter how I am driving...so it doesn't explain what's happening in my car at least.

Perhaps one of the resident technical experts like Greeners will be along to enlighten us. The mysteries of the 75 are seemingly without end....
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 23:02   #15
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

really scary this morning! car had quarter tank when parked up but in morning gauge shows nowt and trip shows........0 miles range!!! by the time I got the mile to the garage it was showing a range of about 30 miles! if nothing else at least it gets me to fill up early taking strain off the fuel lift pumps it only took 50 litres to pump cut off by the way so one gauge sensor is definitely playing up
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 05:53   #16
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Mine does exactly the same as reported, after a drive, and when the engine has been turned off, the range would be showing, say around 70 ish, but when I get back to the car either next day or a good few hours later then the range could be as low as 30, then after a few miles of driving it gradually creeps up again, so must be a 'normal' thing,
MalteseMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 07:53   #17
Andyd358
Posted a thing or two

JAguar X-Type 2.0d Sport

I to get this from the fuel gauge and to be honest I kind of like it
Yellow light comes on when i start off then the needle will rise over the next 5-10 miles and the yellow warning light will go out.

I tell our lass that its the car being nice to us. She tellms me im stupid and to shut up and slow down a bit....

Going to miss driving it
Andyd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:48   #18
muey
Loves to post

75 connoiseur se hi-line tourer cdt

Hi all."baby" is a diesel tourer, If Joanna drives her, my mpg drops dramatically. usually sticks around 39 ish. done brim to rim and its not far out. it drops to 32 when J drives. i gonna take the key off her
Regards , Mark
muey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:06   #19
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossocorsa View Post
really scary this morning! car had quarter tank when parked up but in morning gauge shows nowt and trip shows........0 miles range!!! by the time I got the mile to the garage it was showing a range of about 30 miles! if nothing else at least it gets me to fill up early taking strain off the fuel lift pumps it only took 50 litres to pump cut off by the way so one gauge sensor is definitely playing up
Rosso - had exactly the same problem in the sharp cold spell we had a few months back. Mine happened the day after my ABS light came on and the speedo started stopping and starting at will. The fuel gauge would sometimes say almost empty (when it clearly wasn't) and the computer read out would give a corresponding low range. For a week or so I resorted to keeping a careful note of mileage done and how much I had put in the tank. Sometimes the gauge was clearly reading correctly - but you could never be sure!

When the speedo packed up completely I got the o/s sensor replaced which cured the speedo and ABS problems - and the fuel gauge has been fine ever since too!
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:21   #20
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonrover View Post
Rosso - had exactly the same problem in the sharp cold spell we had a few months back. Mine happened the day after my ABS light came on and the speedo started stopping and starting at will. The fuel gauge would sometimes say almost empty (when it clearly wasn't) and the computer read out would give a corresponding low range. For a week or so I resorted to keeping a careful note of mileage done and how much I had put in the tank. Sometimes the gauge was clearly reading correctly - but you could never be sure!

When the speedo packed up completely I got the o/s sensor replaced which cured the speedo and ABS problems - and the fuel gauge has been fine ever since too!
interestingly we've had the abs light come on one day last week but at the moment it is OK ......spooky or coincidence??
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote