Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd July 2020, 19:34   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Default Footwell lighting

There seems to be plenty of room for front footwell lights - either in the lower A-post trims or in the panels under the dash. (I'll be going for tourer luggage area lamps fitted into the panels under the dash).

But, how have folks added lighting for the rear footwells? Are the lamps being screwed into something under the front seats or just being cable-tied in position? (or are LED strips being used instead? - don't like LEDs myself).

Also, does the boot lamp operate on a dimming phase like the interior courtesy lights? Would be easier for me to just take power from the boot with the way things are at the minute (rather than take power from headliner and down the A post)

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:45   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
There seems to be plenty of room for front footwell lights - either in the lower A-post trims or in the panels under the dash. (I'll be going for tourer luggage area lamps fitted into the panels under the dash).

But, how have folks added lighting for the rear footwells? Are the lamps being screwed into something under the front seats or just being cable-tied in position? (or are LED strips being used instead? - don't like LEDs myself).

Also, does the boot lamp operate on a dimming phase like the interior courtesy lights? Would be easier for me to just take power from the boot with the way things are at the minute (rather than take power from headliner and down the A post)

Cheers,
Karl.
Yes Karl, the boot dims in time with the interior lights. I've got the lights under the armrests on each door, front and rear & iirc, someone did lighting under the seats & under the dash
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:59   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I’ve got blue LED strip lighting under the dashboard and at the base of the rear seats. LED’s under the armrests on the doors. In the boot I have a LED strip light.
I did have one under the bonnet but it didn’t last because of the heat. The bonnet light was on separate switch.

I’ll see if I can find the photo’s if not I’ll get some news ones taken.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:29   #4
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Thanks very much, chaps

I'll run some cabling to under the front seats and dash (from the boot lamp loom).

I have some Jag XKR boot lamps that are quite small and discreet, so I'll see if I can get them fitted up under the front seats (some way or other) to shine across the rear footwells..

Cheers,
Karl.
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:46   #5
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Mounting rear footwell lights is tricky especially if you don't want them to be seen. I first tried installing mine (LED strips) on the underside of the front seats but this didn't work as it needs both seats in the same position for equal light distribution.

Instead I have attached the LED strips to small foam blocks that sit on the floor under each seat, projecting light backwards in the footwell.

In addition I have matching LED strips mounted to the underside of the dash on both sides, and orange LEDs for ambient lighting in the doors.

Old 4th July 2020, 02:25   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post

Cheers,
Karl.

There were 3 drawbacks I found with using lamps units with floor lighting. Size, the power drain (not a big thing) and cost.

4 no. 30cm LED strips, 1 no. 1 metre Led strip were less than £10 via eBay.

I do have quick release plugs fitted to the floor lighting units, to aid in any removal of the seats or panels.

For the boot light, it is wired into the existing lamp, then stuck into place, and threaded through the various holes in the parcel shelf.

For the rear floor lighting, whilst self adhesive, I cable tied them to a metal bar under the seat.

For the front, I drilled about 8, 2 or 3 mm holes into the closing panels at the bottom of the dash, and stuck the strips onto them, holding them with cable ties. Wiring and plugs are held above the closing panels.

The cabin have blue strips (but you can get 'warm white' to make them look like filament bulbs), with white LEDs in the roof lights - this subdues the blue. The boot is a xenon white light, which makes it easy to see things at night.

The cabin lights power cables go to a single terminal, with a small fuse (I think it was 2 amp) and then is connected to a tab soldered onto the power bars inside the interior light. The LEDs dim as they switch off, but not as long as the filament bulbs.

I used THESE plugs, all sealed with heat shrink.

30cm LED Strip

1M LED strip

ebay links are examples, I have not bought from these sellers (mine were fitted 5 and 6 years ago)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1526150_10153185731858294_4859778697575582019_n.jpg (60.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 12440661_10154639516693294_522876139662711925_o.jpg (128.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg sm.jpg (28.5 KB, 85 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 4th July 2020 at 02:28..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 21:51   #7
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Really nice looking work, there

I won't be adding any lights to the doors etc. as the door cards themselves can be a big enough faff without anything else being in the mix!

I like the idea of having filament bulbs for the slightly more OEM effect and the fairly neutral spread of light (which I'm hoping will allow the lamps to be fitted under the front seats, without too much ill-effect from seat positioning ).

Carpet and most of the interior out at the moment, so (instead of tapping into the boot lamp wiring) I think I'll make up my own 10amp loom for the footwell lighting and take power via a piggyback from slot 7 in the passenger compartment fuse box (interior lights) - and put the earths to a crimp ring connector in the passenger side footwell. Would save cutting into the existing looms and would allow for their easy disconnection if anything goes wrong..

Cheers,
Karl.