Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th April 2022, 11:00   #1
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Default ZTT Tourer ground clearance/ride improvement

I bought the ZTT diesel with a view to my eldest passing his test and giving him the 75 Connie Tourer diesel which is now nearly at 183K, 100K of which with me. The ZTT is only at 105K and just had a full clutch replacement (inc.master and slave) while the 75 last had a clutch at around 110k (I'll have to check that).

I've thrown quite a bit of cash at the ZTT but my wife finds the ride too harsh, more difficult getting in and out and grounding on ridiculous speed humps has already broken a spring. It looks good, goes quick, corners beautifully but we do some long trips and current road conditions seem to be appalling.

I'd thought of swapping the wheels over between the 75 and the ZTT but that's a bit of a chew particularly with the state of my back, although it's improving.

Thoughts welcomed, please. Otherwise I may have to lose both and go for an SUV; I don't really want to.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2022, 14:52   #2
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Hi Johnny,

a few points:-

1) If the car is grounding on speed bumps, its springs may have stretched /softened with age (without breaking). If so, replacing them should solve this.

2) The ZT / ZTT's ride height is 7mm lower than the 75's.

3) Mk 1 ZT/ZT-Ts had firm suspension. When the Mk 2 came out, its suspension was more compliant. The original was then made an option called "Sports suspension". If yours is a Mk 1, it might be possible to fit Mk 2 springs to improve the ride. Get expert advice on this before trying.

4) Whilst most 75s had higher profile tyres, contributing to a more comfortable ride, their smaller wheels may not clear the ZT-T's discs & callipers (depending on which variant you have).

5) Check beforehand with your insurance company that they are happy for you to make these changes if you intend doing any.

Regards,
Kearton

Last edited by Kearton; 30th April 2022 at 14:54..
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2022, 15:18   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

If it was me personally I would seriously look at fitting a set of the 17s onto the ztt.

I temporarily ran my ztt 190 with the early hard suspension in a set of the chunky 5 spoke 17s (so they cleared the brakes), and the comfort was significant over back roads compared to the 18s, to the extent that I'd never daily a 75 or zt in 18s again.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 09:37   #4
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Thanks to you both for the benefit of your experience and considered advice, it'll be very useful.

The speed ramp in question was ridiculous and probably I should've taken action about it. the matter was compounded by having my lovely though overweight wife and 6' 4" 15 stone son on board.

The ZTT, like the 75, is 2004. The 75 wheels are 16" 7 spoke and sounds like they wouldn't fit the ZTT but will check. I looked at the wheel ident that SuzuBlu has posted previously and guess Robson is referring to the 17" seven spoke wheels? I need to check what's on the ZTT, they're finished in dark BMW grey but I can't recall the actual appearance when looking at the pics of wheels.

I took the ZTT out yesterday and have convinced myself that it's the way to go but taking your advice into account. I will also need to carry out some other modifications. There's already advice on the Forum I can search out regarding these, I've seen it in the past and should've bookmarked it, but which roughly are;

- Fitting reversing sensors - I seem to have got used to them!
- Get the steering wheel controls properly hooked up to the radio/CD player;
- Working out how to use the Webasto or take it out;
- Checking why there's no button on the left steering column stalk to use the IPK facilities I get on the 75 and if I can remedy it;
- Fix the usual water leak which gets into into the spare wheel cavity;
- Get the brake warning light to go out, the pipes, hoses, pads and discs are all new, the sensor must be duff.

Thanks again.

Johnny BG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 1st May 2022 at 10:07.. Reason: Add info
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 11:26   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
Thanks to you both for the benefit of your experience and considered advice, it'll be very useful.

The speed ramp in question was ridiculous and probably I should've taken action about it. the matter was compounded by having my lovely though overweight wife and 6' 4" 15 stone son on board.

The ZTT, like the 75, is 2004. The 75 wheels are 16" 7 spoke and sounds like they wouldn't fit the ZTT but will check. I looked at the wheel ident that SuzuBlu has posted previously and guess Robson is referring to the 17" seven spoke wheels? I need to check what's on the ZTT, they're finished in dark BMW grey but I can't recall the actual appearance when looking at the pics of wheels.

I took the ZTT out yesterday and have convinced myself that it's the way to go but taking your advice into account. I will also need to carry out some other modifications. There's already advice on the Forum I can search out regarding these, I've seen it in the past and should've bookmarked it, but which roughly are;

- Fitting reversing sensors - I seem to have got used to them!
- Get the steering wheel controls properly hooked up to the radio/CD player;
- Checking why there's no button on the left steering column stalk to use the IPK facilities I get on the 75 and if I can remedy it;
- Fix the usual water leak which gets into into the spare wheel cavity;
- Get the brake warning light to go out, the pipes, hoses, pads and discs are all new, the sensor must be duff.

Thanks again.

Johnny BG
Reversing sensors, just buy an aftermarket kit from Cisbo or similar, very easy to install, the holes are marked out on the backside of the bumper.
Steering controls for the radio, you may need a patch lead for whatever radio you have from Autoleads.
There's no button on the stalk because these were only fitted to highline instruments, the standard instruments have just basic icons.
Brake sensor, check the wire hasn't worn through or just but another. Or, remove it, cut and join the wires at the plug and refit the plug.
Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by suzublu; 1st May 2022 at 11:28..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 14:59   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

This style is what I'm saying about.

Both are confirmed at fitting 190 front calipers, and the thinner set even clear the 260 front calipers as they are fitted inverted to the fwd car.

I am a big fan of the chunky 5 spokes. Had them on several of my cars over the years including my tourer I took around Europe what feels like a decade ago now.

Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 15:21   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Revert to a 17" wheel (someone here will confirm this is OK for most models) and adopt a higher profile tyre ie /55 vs maybe /45, this will add to comfort and improved ground clearance. A 'modest' driving style should then deliver the required improvements and a slightly inaccurate speedometer - and check it's all OK with your insurers.
As to making changes to springs, I'm not prepare to comment but others on here are expert on the subject.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:14   #8
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:

[Snip]

I will also need to carry out some other modifications. There's already advice on the Forum I can search out regarding these, I've seen it in the past and should've bookmarked it, but which roughly are;

Thanks again.
Johnny BG
Johnny,

you are welcome.

If the 'Webasto' to which you refer is the diesel heater / parking heater, it doesen't just work when you activate it. It is wired to boost engine & heater warm-up automatically when the external temperature is less than 10'C, so removing it may increase your fuel consumption on short journeys and in cold weather.

Regards,
Kearton
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:04   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearton View Post
Johnny,

you are welcome.

If the 'Webasto' to which you refer is the diesel heater / parking heater, it doesen't just work when you activate it. It is wired to boost engine & heater warm-up automatically when the external temperature is less than 10'C, so removing it may increase your fuel consumption on short journeys and in cold weather.

Regards,
Kearton
The Webasto heater does not come on until 5 degrees, not 10 degrees .
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:39   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
I'd thought of swapping the wheels over between the 75 and the ZTT
Here's what the 2004 Handbook gives on the tourer dimensions:

There's actually an error in the drawing regarding ground clearance. Clearly, the ZT-T and the 75-T can't have the same ground clearance (G 156mm) as shown, when the ZT-T height (C) is 7mm lower than the 75-T.

However, replacing the 75's wheels with a larger diameter ZT rim doesn't alter the drive height/clearance. All the 75/ZT rims provide essentially the same diameter wheels to maintain a legal speedometer. The extra rim diameter is compensated by a reduced tyre wall.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote