Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2022, 10:32   #1
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Question Another Central Locking Issue - Help!

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

Is there a way to test the driver's door lock actuator off the car?

I have what appears to be quite a common issue with my face-lift 75 Tourer. I was aware of the issue before buying the car, as it was mentioned in the advert:-

"The central looking unlocks fine on the button but doesn’t lock remotely unless you first pull and then reinstate fuse 32. After that it works – until the next time the engine is started and switched off after which it stops working again! A highly reputable local ex-Rover main dealer has carried out a diagnostic check and their report says “suspect new driver’s door lock motor is required”.
The doors can still of course still be locked and secured manually, and the moving locking function also works."

Having looked through various posts on the forum regarding this issue, there does appear to be a common theme with the super-locking working again after the fuse has been pulled and reinstated.

I have acquired a used driver's door actuator, supposedly tested and fully working (guaranteed for 3 months). I have tried connecting it to the door wiring to test it - with the latch in the closed position - but it behaves just as the existing one does. The doors will lock and unlock with the button on the console, but the remote button just gives a beep from the alarm sounder. As it's exhibiting the same symptoms, I don't know if the replacement unit is also faulty, or if the fault is actually somewhere else.

I'm aware that there are two motors inside the actuator - one for super-locking and one for normal locking - but the fact that it works after pulling the fuse would suggest that it isn't the lock motor that's the issue, unless I'm missing something.

Any help appreciated.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 10:56   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

also check fuse 36 , may have a bearing on your problem. Other threads make reference to fuses 8 and 15 also costs nothing to check them
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=2582877

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...59&postcount=8

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 13th April 2022 at 11:05..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 11:10   #3
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
also check fuse 36 , may have a bearing on your problem. Other threads make reference to fuses 8 and 15 also costs nothing to check them
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=2582877

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...59&postcount=8
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did look at fuse 36 - I was hoping for a nice, easy fix but it wasn't to be.

I am getting a bit confused with the fuses. The driver's handbook and Haynes manual give conflicting lists of fuse functions. I think this may be as my car is a Mk2 and Haynes only have info on the Mk1.
Old 13th April 2022, 11:25   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did look at fuse 36 - I was hoping for a nice, easy fix but it wasn't to be.

I am getting a bit confused with the fuses. The driver's handbook and Haynes manual give conflicting lists of fuse functions. I think this may be as my car is a Mk2 and Haynes only have info on the Mk1.
Hopefully your problem is a blown fuse as most of the posts on here seem to suggest. The second link on my post mentions fuse 8 on the later board. If it were me I would get a cuppa, half an hour and some ibuprofen for my back afterwards and systematically check the fuses with a multimeter for continuity

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 13th April 2022, 11:31   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Fuse box for 2004 and later.

PS found the earlier type also.

More searching the vast photos produced these.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 13th April 2022 at 11:43.. Reason: photo editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 11:53   #6
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I've had a grovel on the floor and checked F36 again, this time with a meter rather than by eye. Fuse is OK.

I also checked F8 and that is OK too.

While I was there, I pulled F32 again, so the locking is working until the next time I turn on the ignition.

What I have been doing is pressing the internal lock button to lock the doors, then open the driver's door and lock with the key. This doesn't super-lock or arm the alarm, but it also doesn't lock the fuel filler flap, and with the current price of diesel, that's a bit of a worry

I have considered replacing F32 with a couple of fly leads, an inline fuse and a push-to-break switch, so I can effectively reset the system before getting out and locking the car on the remote.
Old 13th April 2022, 17:49   #7
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Might be heading off on the wrong thread here, but I'd suggest that you fit the new/used actuator to see if it works when in place.

Bearing in mind that the alarm sounder will beep if you try and lock the car with the door only half-latched, I expect it won't operate correctly unless it's fitted with the door latch fully home..

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 18:11   #8
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
Might be heading off on the wrong thread here, but I'd suggest that you fit the new/used actuator to see if it works when in place.

Bearing in mind that the alarm sounder will beep if you try and lock the car with the door only half-latched, I expect it won't operate correctly unless it's fitted with the door latch fully home..

Cheers,
Karl.
Hi Karl.

I did fully latch it before trying it, as I suspected that would be the case. Having said that, I don't know a lot about these cars, having only had it a few weeks. There's certainly a lot to learn, which is made easier by this amazing resource.
Old 13th April 2022, 18:24   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
I've had a grovel on the floor and checked F36 again, this time with a meter rather than by eye. Fuse is OK.

I also checked F8 and that is OK too.

While I was there, I pulled F32 again, so the locking is working until the next time I turn on the ignition.

What I have been doing is pressing the internal lock button to lock the doors, then open the driver's door and lock with the key. This doesn't super-lock or arm the alarm, but it also doesn't lock the fuel filler flap, and with the current price of diesel, that's a bit of a worry

I have considered replacing F32 with a couple of fly leads, an inline fuse and a push-to-break switch, so I can effectively reset the system before getting out and locking the car on the remote.
i'm pretty certain that i have read on one of the forums / facebook groups that the thing you describe is a failed fuse. not sure which one or where it is situated, i have searched high and low but ill be beggared if i can find it. I would still send half an hour with a meter checking every fuse i could find, costs nothing but time.

Old 13th April 2022, 18:44   #10
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
i'm pretty certain that i have read on one of the forums / facebook groups that the thing you describe is a failed fuse. not sure which one or where it is situated, i have searched high and low but ill be beggared if i can find it. I would still send half an hour with a meter checking every fuse i could find, costs nothing but time.
OK, thanks.

I've got a busy day at work tomorrow, so I'll give it a go on Friday, weather permitting.