Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th March 2020, 21:33   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default what are your shelves like?

what are the shelves like in your local food shops?.
panic buying seems to create panic buying and so a shortage, which creates panic buying.

wife has just gone to do an on line food shop, 2 weeks until the first slot for delivery.
Our freezer is fairly well stocked but not full. Fresh fruit and veg will have run out

I really don't know what to make of it. I can understand some will be panicked by empty shelves particularly if they cannot store food. My mum used to shop twice a week, her fridge with a freezer part, fitted under counter and we were a family of 4. Our freezer stands 5ft plus as does our fridge.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 21:44   #2
elroy
I really should get out more.......

MG ZTT

Thanked 1,158 Times in 643 Posts

Hi Ian, took the wife shopping yesterday to our local asda, no pasta , no beans, no eggs, no hand soaps, no kitchen roll and no toilet roll other than that we got everything we would normally pick up on a sunday
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 22:03   #3
bluebird
Passed Away

Trophy Blue ZT T

Last week and this week i will be working 6 days straight due to the sheer amount of stock we have to get out having deliveries later than normal n 2 a day we have restricted certain products to a max of 2 per shop its just stupid the amount of complaints we get n comments but we just smile n carry on

I have spoke to the store manager about letting the care homes n elderly to come in half hour before we open so they can get supplys - he said he will be speaking to the area manager sometime tomz
Old 16th March 2020, 22:15   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Local Tesco Sainsbury’s and Asda all have bare shelves, no meat no loo rolls, very little tinned food, no paracetamol or ibuprofen, very little bottled water. Tonight in one mini supermarket a bloke was buying 3 trays of bottled water, what’s all that about? Is there going to be a shortage of water?
Old 16th March 2020, 23:21   #5
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Seems crazy.

I have yet to figure why toilet rolls are on the want list? Even if you are unlucky enough to get this virus Diarrhoea is not one of its symptoms.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2020, 23:52   #6
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

I'm going to do a top-up shop on my way home from work this morning (about 3am) to try & get some of the above mentioned items that were indeed missing from the shelves when my wife did the weekly shop yesterday.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 08:46   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Popped into Tamworth ASDA yesterday.

Mirrors what others have said - no loo roll, no kitchen roll , stock generally was quite good and, IMHO sensibly in the current climate, there's several items that are "limited" per purchase.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 09:03   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Yes, diarrhoea can be a symptom but not necessarily inevitable. Lady doctor in our walking rugby group posted about it on our What'sapp group last night (and she's been through bird flu, SERS, MERS and 30 years of seasonal flu). Take care, heed all the professional advice and ignore 98% of any social media twaddle - and don't panic buy; I went to our local 24 hr. Tesco supermarket at 7am today (found out they are now closed overnight, open at 6am) and in the car park spotted two women stuffing their 4x4 with many many bulging bags including at least 4/5 giant loo roll packs that I could see. There were queues at the checkouts with most trolleys containing loo roll packs of various sizes. On reaching the toiletries aisles all I could see were empty pallets!!!

NB 1957/58 Asian flu aka avian flu H2N2 origiated south China. Infected +9 million in UK (resulting 14 000 UK mortalities from 2-3 million world wide...), big difference no social media in those days, no empty shelves/panic rumour mill. Covid-19 eventually 'may' be more deadly but no evidence of that based on present data.

Last edited by rab60bit; 17th March 2020 at 09:59..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 09:28   #9
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

The supplier warehouse's have stock, it's just the regional distribution centres have not got the capacity to to supply the stores after a week of panic buying.
Once those that believe Armageddon has arrived finally cease buying everything in sight it will be back to normal in a few days.
Princes main warehouse in Wisbech is absolutely full of stock, no shortages at all.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 09:29   #10
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Popped into Tamworth ASDA yesterday.

Mirrors what others have said - no loo roll, no kitchen roll

Andy.
Looks like we will be going back to the strips of newspaper on a bit of string system .............
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote