Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2014, 18:01   #1
spawn666
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Default Where Do I Stand

Recently the clutch went on my MG ZT-T. After I had diagnosed (with the help from the fantastic forum) that the slave cylinder failed, I booked it into a local garage that had a really good reputation.

They called this afternoon and said, that it required a master cylinder. I told him that I disagreed and explained that my carpet was dry and there was no fluid in the filler cap. I confessed I wasn't a mechanic and he said with his experience with clutches and as a mechanic, that he was certain this was the cause of the clutch failing.

So placing my faith in the mechanic and he went ahead and replaced the master cylinder. Guess what, I was right. Fluid is now leaking out of the bell housing.

I am now looking at £170 bill for wor, which I admit I authorise, however I did this with good faith. It's extremely annoying that I booked the car in specifically for a slave cylinder and clutch.

Do you guys think I have a shout for a massive discount, or even the bill wiped clean?

p.s. I don't want to hear about replacing parts, because it makes sense in the long run blah blah blah (not trying to be rude, just extremely annoyed about this situation).

spawn666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:07   #2
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn666 View Post
Recently the clutch went on my MG ZT-T. After I had diagnosed (with the help from the fantastic forum) that the slave cylinder failed, I booked it into a local garage that had a really good reputation.

They called this afternoon and said, that it required a master cylinder. I told him that I disagreed and explained that my carpet was dry and there was no fluid in the filler cap. I confessed I wasn't a mechanic and he said with his experience with clutches and as a mechanic, that he was certain this was the cause of the clutch failing.

So placing my faith in the mechanic and he went ahead and replaced the master cylinder. Guess what, I was right. Fluid is now leaking out of the bell housing.

I am now looking at £170 bill for wor, which I admit I authorise, however I did this with good faith. It's extremely annoying that I booked the car in specifically for a slave cylinder and clutch.

Do you guys think I have a shout for a massive discount, or even the bill wiped clean?

p.s. I don't want to hear about replacing parts, because it makes sense in the long run blah blah blah (not trying to be rude, just extremely annoyed about this situation).
I would refuse to pay. It was their diagnosis that was wrong.
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:09   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think since you argreed to it you have to pay. Been there so I do symphasise, it can be hard to stick to your guns when you want a doing and they come back and say b needs doing as well. And you think you are having your leg lifted.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:10   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Yes you should refuse to pay, you only agreed to his suggestion because he insisted he was right. He gave you false information, and carried out unnecessary work = his fault.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:18   #5
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

If I was the garage I would say ok what we will do is relace the clutch and slave and knock 170.00 off the bill. As we missed diagnosed the problem. It happens sometimes and both parties need to work together, as far as I can see garage is fault and should at least repair the car properly.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:28   #6
spawn666
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
If I was the garage I would say ok what we will do is relace the clutch and slave and knock 170.00 off the bill. As we missed diagnosed the problem. It happens sometimes and both parties need to work together, as far as I can see garage is fault and should at least repair the car properly.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

spawn666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:32   #7
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn666 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking.
I know its not what you want to hear but clutch and slave have got to be replaced now. but you dont want to pay the full amount which I can understand. Why should you, so if you can strike a deal up with the garage it would work well for both sides.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 21:21   #8
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Be careful because they may not release the car until you've paid whatever they say it is (ask me how I know). If that's the case then make sure you write on the invoice something like "amount disputed - paid without prejudice" and send in a written complaint and request for a partial refund when you get home. Such wording is so that if you ever took them to the small claims court they can't argue you implicitly agreed to the amount by paying it.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 07:25   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I'm afraid I disagree with most of the posters (other than Sean).

In your very first clutch thread, you posted a photograph of the master with fluid all over it.

You and the garage did not spot any fluid on the bellhousing prior to the work being done.

Under the above circumstances, the conclusion that the internal seals in the master are inoperative leading to non-operation of the clutch is a sound one.

As it happens, with the garage now having replaced the master, there is evidence of a leaking slave.

Your situation is unfortunate, but I think the garage's diagnosis was the correct one based on the evidence.

I get the feeling that on the whole, they are actually being very reasonable in trying to help you.

It's a nigtmare situation for garages when faced with a person who thinks he knows what the problem is based on views of internet forum members. Yet it's the garage that is expected to take the risk associated with part-repairs.

In this situation I think they have shown a good level of competence and been very reasonable.

They were also correct in not wanting to refill the M/C. It is intended as a non-serviceable unit and I would not expect professional garages to offer to refill a damaged one when a customer takes in a car with a suspect M/C. Doing so would lead to repeat visits and costs - it would be a sign of professional incompetence.

In your situation I would work with your garage.

Last edited by MSS; 25th November 2014 at 17:02.. Reason: Spelling corrections/general tidy-up.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 07:39   #10
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
I know its not what you want to hear but clutch and slave have got to be replaced now. but you dont want to pay the full amount which I can understand. Why should you, so if you can strike a deal up with the garage it would work well for both sides.
Agreed.
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote