Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th November 2014, 11:59   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Can the Sprint Booster be fitted to our cars?

A product called “Sprint Booster” is on the market and BMW and Minis are included in its product range. Apparently an E46 (2001?) was used in a demonstration.

Does anyone know of this product, and if it fits the E46 and Mini cars, can it be installed in our cars.

It is intended for late model cars,that have Electronic Throttle Control aka Drive-By-Wire in lieu of the old throttle cable of former years. The delayed response (intended to be a safety feature) appears to be a common annoyance with vehicles fitted with ETC / DBW and subdued acceleration can create problems in certain situations such as overtaking etc.

This product’s short cable (with its box of electronics) intercepts between the cars accelerator box and the outgoing cable to the throttle body. Said to be a 10 minute job to install.

My car responds well when moving off from rest. However, when asked to accelerate from a low speed, there is a definite short delay before my car responds.

egremont
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 16:13   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I've heard this complaint levelled at E46's but never at out cars.

I could be wrong, but I also think the only 75 / ZT in the range using DBW was the diesel - and being a turbo diesel it's going to have a bit of lag anyway.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 16:23   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
I've heard this complaint levelled at E46's but never at out cars.

I could be wrong, but I also think the only 75 / ZT in the range using DBW was the diesel - and being a turbo diesel it's going to have a bit of lag anyway.
Yep only the diesels and a few factory petrol cars used fbw
Old 16th November 2014, 16:40   #4
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
A product called “Sprint Booster” is on the market and BMW and Minis are included in its product range. Apparently an E46 (2001?) was used in a demonstration.

Does anyone know of this product, and if it fits the E46 and Mini cars, can it be installed in our cars.

It is intended for late model cars,that have Electronic Throttle Control aka Drive-By-Wire in lieu of the old throttle cable of former years. The delayed response (intended to be a safety feature) appears to be a common annoyance with vehicles fitted with ETC / DBW and subdued acceleration can create problems in certain situations such as overtaking etc.

This product’s short cable (with its box of electronics) intercepts between the cars accelerator box and the outgoing cable to the throttle body. Said to be a 10 minute job to install.

My car responds well when moving off from rest. However, when asked to accelerate from a low speed, there is a definite short delay before my car responds.

egremont
Funny enough. I was thinking of posting asking if anyone had ever modified a throttle position sensor. Only had my diesel 75 a short while, very pleased with it but it is a bit of a slug to get going. I felt a lot of this perception is down to the very long pedal travel, about 3 inches compared to my Merc van which has a total pedal travel of about 1 1/2 inches. As said, only in my mind but I felt a much shorter pedal travel would sharpen up the response. Probably use more fuel as well!!!!!
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 17:10   #5
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Sounds like a Marinbrian remap is on the cards, send him a PM vroom vroom!
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 22:48   #6
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Is that not in part down to the operation of the hydraulic torque-converter? Especially if the lock-up clutch isn't engaged? As pointed out already, if you have a diesel there are other factors too such as turbo lag and the EGR valve which will cause a slight delay between driver demand and the engine being able to deliver.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 06:43   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael peters View Post
Funny enough. I was thinking of posting asking if anyone had ever modified a throttle position sensor. Only had my diesel 75 a short while, very pleased with it but it is a bit of a slug to get going. I felt a lot of this perception is down to the very long pedal travel, about 3 inches compared to my Merc van which has a total pedal travel of about 1 1/2 inches. As said, only in my mind but I felt a much shorter pedal travel would sharpen up the response. Probably use more fuel as well!!!!!
You can adjust the throttle stop a bit and then you can recalibrate the pedal by doing something with the ignition and pressing it a lot (can't remember exactly).

You'll want an OBD reader to view the TPS data live.

(this is assuming DBW with a sensor at the pedal end, not at the throttle body)
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 10:55   #8
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default It's the Euro 4 requirements.

Only the larger 2.5 KV6 and a few diesel 75 / ZTs were sold here in OZ.

Apparently this slight delay is inherent in petrol engined vehicles with “drive by wire” technology.
It is all to do with stringent emission requirements.

My MG Rover trained service man explained to me that this “slight delay” is due to the car manufacturers having to meet the European Emission Standards – “ Euro 4”. He also mentioned that MG Rover released an update in 2005 to try and reduce / overcome this delay. If he has not already installed this update, he will do so at my cars next service.

Older cars used a carburettor system, and when the driver wished to accelerate, the carburettor activated its “accelerator pump” to inject extra fuel into the system – giving the engine a “rich” mixture to aid its acceleration. This reduced air to fuel (rich) mix would not be tolerated under the Euro 4 standards.

The ideal air to fuel mixture for petrol engines, to enable a complete combustion is 14.7:1. This ideal fuel mix, the stoiciometric ratio is what the manufacturers aim for.

From what I have read, all manufacturers using a drive by wire system in their petrol engined cars suffer this delay - to a greater or lesser extent.

Some advertisements for the Sprint Booster include the BMW and Mini marques amongst other manufacturers.

This “affliction” is not apparent when starting from rest, but rather when travelling at say, 25 kph (possibly behind an elderly motorist) and for some reason you need to accelerate to get out of your position. Whilst I agree with my mechanic that the 75 / ZT delay is only slight, he did mention that I should drive another European brand that I won’t name (and no, it is not BMW or Mini) - it is much worse.

He also mentioned that the common rail diesel engined cars don’t have the same design characteristics or Euro 4 requirements.

All too often one reads where a driver has mistakenly hit the accelerator pedal in error and crashed into a building or other vehicles, and I wonder whether this may have had some influence on the design engineers.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 22:46   #9
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

I think Euro 4 came later for diesels and in 2 phases. I'm more aufait with off highway regulations for diesels.
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 22:52   #10
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Sounds like a Marinbrian remap is on the cards, send him a PM vroom vroom!
Does Marinabrian visit Australia often or have I got the wrong Melbourne?
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote