Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th May 2022, 01:58   #13631
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
Well after a fair bit of faffing, removal of skin from both hands, swearing etc, I eventually got the top bolt out of the starter motor, having taking just a few seconds to remove the bottom bolt. The How-to's on here are brill but my problem was that with a FBH in the way, getting a socket on that almost hidden nut is incredibly tight, my extension bars were actually too long as the FBH exhaust was in the way! Anyway, eventually got it off trying every 13mm socket I had and the motor was out around 1 min later.
The internal copper contacts were almost toast and I did wonder how the car almost always started first time. The recent just-clicking, even with a fully charged battery led to the suggestion from Arctic that it was likely to be classic worn parts problem. All back together now but as yet not returned to the car and so is untested. Fingers crossed for tomorrow and hopefully a cheap 'easy' fix!

Hi Gary.
I would like to think after the work you have done on the starter that the car will fire up and start first time, make sure the battery is also fully charged.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2022, 13:00   #13632
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Large mega fuse in the under bonnet fusebox.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Hi Andy. Been out and tested the mega fuses and got a reading for all except the 100amp.
I have a replacement arriving on Thursday but in the meantime was assured that 2x50amp fuses together would do the same job.
So I put them on got a reading, tried to start her and it still won't turn the starter motor. This is a newer second hand SM so should work. And once again there is no clicking when I try to start her.
So next question, could it be a relay problem? If so which.
Thank you.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2022, 20:06   #13633
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Gary.
I would like to think after the work you have done on the starter that the car will fire up and start first time, make sure the battery is also fully charged.
Hi all, well the starter is back in and was easier to do the bolts up than removing them! Unfortunately, I think the battery is goosed as its not holding a charge, even when disconnected. Fully charged it up, multi-meter read 13v, tried to start the car, turned over just once then usual click again from starter, meter read 10.8v!!.
However, yesterday I decided to buy a fairly cheap jump pack (£40) from Amazon which arrived today. Connected this amazingly tiny battery and the car roared into life as it normally does. The starter solenoid contacts definately needed changing but battery will be changed later, once the sill welding has been done.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2022, 21:12   #13634
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Well that reversing light switch is still waiting... MOT in September.
The handbrake will also need adjusting too, but our son is in hospital, so keeping her on the road is mandatory - it will hold the car, but it's nearly on the headlining!

A new set of shiny new Autogreen SC1s fitted at my local National Tyre and Autocare centre, replacing the cracked/perished rubber that was on when I got her.

It is worth noting that my local National Tyre depot is now part of Halford's, because I got emails from them when booking in for the tyres. It also has different pricing from other NT&A depots.
I recently looked to do an oil and filter change at my local depot and was quoted £86, an increase of nearly £30 from the last one they did on my previous 2ltr non-MGR car. I tried another depot 10-12 miles away and was quoted only £55 - the oil will be lovely and warm when I get there next Tuesday.

Oh and I finally got my previously coded spare keys cut.
Good fun in local Timpsons Key Cutting Centre:
Me: Can you cut me a couple of keys to my blanks?
Them: Nah mate, can't use your blanks!
Me: OK Cut me 2 keys using your blanks...
Them: Sorry, we have none...
Thank heavens for small traders.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 07:58   #13635
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
It is worth noting that my local National Tyre depot is now part of Halford's, because I got emails from them when booking in for the tyres. It also has different pricing from other NT&A depots.
Got a feeling Halfords have bought out National. I seem to remember I had an email from Halfords the other week outlining that the deal has been done and that the National centres were converting to Halfords Autocentres.
Old 20th May 2022, 09:06   #13636
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
Well that reversing light switch is still waiting... MOT in September.
The handbrake will also need adjusting too, but our son is in hospital, so keeping her on the road is mandatory - it will hold the car, but it's nearly on the headlining!
A new set of shiny new Autogreen SC1s fitted at my local National Tyre and Autocare centre, replacing the cracked/perished rubber that was on when I got her.

I recently looked to do an oil and filter change at my local depot and was quoted £86, an increase of nearly £30 from the last one they did on my previous 2ltr non-MGR car. I tried another depot 10-12 miles away and was quoted only £55 - the oil will be lovely and warm when I get there next Tuesday.

Oh and I finally got my previously coded spare keys cut.
Good fun in local Timpsons Key Cutting Centre:
Me: Can you cut me a couple of keys to my blanks?
Them: Nah mate, can't use your blanks!
Me: OK Cut me 2 keys using your blanks...
Them: Sorry, we have none...
Thank heavens for small traders.
HI Kevin.
Reversing light switch and handbrake jobs are not that hard to tackle, how are you with spanners, and is your health ok to carry out small jobs.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd May 2022 at 00:38.. Reason: Rectify
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 10:03   #13637
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Got a feeling Halfords have bought out National. I seem to remember I had an email from Halfords the other week outlining that the deal has been done and that the National centres were converting to Halfords Autocentres.
Aye thats right, they also bought McConechys recently too. That means at the moment that the two main tyre shops in Fort William are now Halfords
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 11:01   #13638
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rear Light Gaskets

Actually my 'What Did I Do' took place yesterday in the sunshine.
I have had a couple of small leaks into the boot for a while.
One was from the top along the two body seams under the rear windscreen area which a liberal application of Capt Tolleys marvellous cure seems to have sorted and the other into the spare wheel well area.
So yesterday I fitted two new rear light unit gaskets. the N/S one was intact but the O/S one was split.
What I cant tell was whether it split as I pulled the light unit off or had already split and was where the leak was coming from.
Luckily the Almighty in his wisdom has decided to help me in my research by letting it chuck down this morning.
So, when I go to collect my beloved from work this afternoon. I shall crack open the boot, lift the carpeted floor board and take a peek with everything crossed!!

Last edited by IGH; 20th May 2022 at 11:03..
IGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 14:24   #13639
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Cleaned the plenums on the gold and dorchester, protected the moonstone against hail, sealed some stuff in the boot from the gold one, vacuum cleaned the interior, noticed the quality difference from the better quality boot and sides carpets from the dorchester compared to the gold one.
Old 20th May 2022, 16:20   #13640
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Now the starter issues have been resolved, got the wire wheel out on my grinder and set to on the rear nearside wheel arch. The offside one under the liner was in very good condition with little rust but the nearside was very much worse all round but again just surface rust and pitting. Anyway, all cleared and a coat on spray on jenalite rust converter applied. Next will come a coat or two of red oxide paint then something to finish, but am not impressed with the new hammerite, not waterproof at all!!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote