Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd April 2022, 13:13   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default lower plenum drain

spent all day yesterday trying to fit a replacement lower plenum rubber drainage hose. .... what a nightmare. ... looking from underneath the car it is very very difficult to spot. i eventually found it after threading in from the top, a bright coloured stick. it lives above and around the nearside lower arm rear bush and antiroll bar bush. what a pain to get access. !! simply put you cannot. you would need to remove lots of suspension parts to even think about going in there. i did manage however , to get one finger and thumb in there to pinch the end of the drainage nozzle, but no further. my original was split in the middle by some over zealous plenum rodding at some point by a previous owner or garage . the new replacement (second hand as no longer available ) was very difficult to fit after removing scuttle panels and pollen filter. so with only access from the top hole in the plenum, i managed to press out the old ripped one and seat the replacement part into its seat at the top. the bottom seal could not be made into the chamber, no matter how you tried with various pipes/tools. as long as the exit pipe sat 2 ins externally , it made no difference as drainage was still achieved. the upper seal in the plenum , i made sure that it was well seated and for strength, i used a strong adhesive to seal and stick it firmly into its grooves. the replacement has an arrow to indicate direction of fitting on the top seal. as it is cranked at an angle to the bottom seal and is very difficult to align. im glad its now done , but this job is a nightmare and even with 2 people it would be ... let alone on your own. ... never again , unless there is a tool to use to fit it , god knows how they did it in the factory ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:57   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
spent all day yesterday trying to fit a replacement lower plenum rubber drainage hose. .... what a nightmare. ... looking from underneath the car it is very very difficult to spot. i eventually found it after threading in from the top, a bright coloured stick. it lives above and around the nearside lower arm rear bush and antiroll bar bush. what a pain to get access. !! simply put you cannot. you would need to remove lots of suspension parts to even think about going in there. i did manage however , to get one finger and thumb in there to pinch the end of the drainage nozzle, but no further. my original was split in the middle by some over zealous plenum rodding at some point by a previous owner or garage . the new replacement (second hand as no longer available ) was very difficult to fit after removing scuttle panels and pollen filter. so with only access from the top hole in the plenum, i managed to press out the old ripped one and seat the replacement part into its seat at the top. the bottom seal could not be made into the chamber, no matter how you tried with various pipes/tools. as long as the exit pipe sat 2 ins externally , it made no difference as drainage was still achieved. the upper seal in the plenum , i made sure that it was well seated and for strength, i used a strong adhesive to seal and stick it firmly into its grooves. the replacement has an arrow to indicate direction of fitting on the top seal. as it is cranked at an angle to the bottom seal and is very difficult to align. im glad its now done , but this job is a nightmare and even with 2 people it would be ... let alone on your own. ... never again , unless there is a tool to use to fit it , god knows how they did it in the factory ...
Hi Stefan.
YES quite a task but doable, as you did remove the scuttle panel, ECU on a diesel as that too is in the way, pollen filter.

Then using pliers remove the old tube, then use rubber grease wearing a glove smear both the inner and top holes with the grease.

Also smear the tube with grease, then squeeze the top of the tube together and feed the tube into the inner hole, once there turn clockwise and anticlockwise until it lock into the grove of the tube.

The top is then teased into place you can just about after get your middle finger into the tube a press all round the inner fixing and then the top on the way out.

Did you cut off 15mm before fitting to aid drainage later ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:32   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thanks arctic. did everything suggested by you in your post. a whole day messing around resulted in my own solution. with reply to your question regarding trimming the end tube taper shorter .. no. i needed that extra length to be sure it protudes well beyond and out. the rubber boss at the bottom with the groove is still located inside the lower chamber, as i could not locate it in the groove. so needed the extra length. i use an old r75 oil dipstick for rodding so should not encroach at all. as i can check for blockage with the spyhole mode i am regularly looking out for debris, before a blockage occurs. i did remove my pollen filter and as an extra burden i have an lpg ecu which i had to remove as it is piggy backed to the main ecm module in my plenum. looking at your photos i assume that they are of the main centre lower drain tube. well they must be from a diesel , as i have a completely different setup. i can honestly say that you would be struggling to even get a photo of the lower exit on the kv6 setup, let alone have any access as seen in your photos. what i found was that as soon as you located the bottom seal in its groove then tried to carefully locate the top,it would disengage one or the other. i wonder if the lengths were different for the tubes on both diesel and kv6, as i cannot find any part numbers , or even if they were modified due to project drive. i am a little confused as to this as rimmers appear to list them as the same size as the outer drain tubes,and i know that is not true . !!
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:50   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

just another thought that springs to mind. the offset crank on the draintube, which is very much obvious , could be at a different angle, if the plenum chamber was slightly different between the petrol and diesel models. it is a possibility that would make it very difficult for both ends of the drain tube to mate up .there is an arrow on the upper lip of the tube rubber seal , which shows the importance of the angle in the plenum. ....
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:11   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

update. after a good deal of thought i have decided that my plenum lower drain fitting yesterday was indeed a success. having trawled a number of posts regarding original fitting of these rubber plenum tubes, in the manner deployed upon manufacture, it was not a good one. all around the mounting holes both ends of the grommet seal were covered in rust. not good. this would also indicate rust is attacking the lower chamber mounting holes. indeed it does,probably they would or should have been sealed with a type of mastic . so tomorrow i will pop all of my unsealed ones out and mastic them. this should stop the leaking of rubber seals around the holes and letting water into the chamber undercavity itself. i will leave the exit tubes free standing after cleaning up the areas first and treating with a rust treatment and either paint spraying or mastic covering. this will also let warm air circulate inside the under chamber. so all in all a good outcome . ... i only use an old rover 75 sump dipstick to rod my plenums,which i check regularly through my spyhole mod. i also have the jules mods and never need to rod them heavily. if others are worried about dislodging the tubes again, just masic them back in after a good cleanup.

Last edited by xsport; 22nd April 2022 at 21:43..
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:58   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
just another thought that springs to mind. the offset crank on the draintube, which is very much obvious , could be at a different angle, if the plenum chamber was slightly different between the petrol and diesel models. it is a possibility that would make it very difficult for both ends of the drain tube to mate up .there is an arrow on the upper lip of the tube rubber seal , which shows the importance of the angle in the plenum. ....
Petrol & diesel plenum tubes are in the same place, and the same tubes.

Diesel

petrol

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:02   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thanks arctic, thats good to know that the tubes are at least the same . it is the same setup in the plenum where the drain is situated , right next to the pollen filter housing box. but underneath on the kv6 its a nightmare to get access to the bottom seal exit. as long as the water drains freely out of the plenum tube, i will leave mine as it is for now,and see how it goes on. as long as the top seal has been sealed with mastic, i dont think any water will now get down the outside of the tubes. problem is , once the rubber has been removed and re seated , it needs i think some mastic or similar to seal again properly. thanks again arctic for your excellent advice and super pictures.much appreciated. ..