Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2022, 12:12   #11

Rover 75 Tourer

I have tended to discount the injectors as they are brand new genuine Bosch .... however there is the misfire element .... showing my ignorance here, but if this were my old Morgan I'd pull the plug leads off one by one to identify the missing cylinder .... is it ok to pull the injector connectors off one by one in the same way or will this cause some irreparable damage or the ecu to sulk?

Regards

K
Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 12:21   #12
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image View Post
I have tended to discount the injectors as they are brand new genuine Bosch .... however there is the misfire element .... showing my ignorance here, but if this were my old Morgan I'd pull the plug leads off one by one to identify the missing cylinder .... is it ok to pull the injector connectors off one by one in the same way or will this cause some irreparable damage or the ecu to sulk?

Regards

K
Please dont think this is a stupid question but i have a few with identical symptoms have you put petrol in the car by mistake as the ones i have had will run but did miss a bit but did smoke a lot

i would perhaps take the pipe off the fuel filter and take a sample of the fuel and check it
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 12:34   #13

Rover 75 Tourer

Car hasn't heen fueled since before the injector change and it wasn't smoking then ... however this business is having me doubt my own name and it would only take a moment to check ... so I will

Cheers

K
Old 6th April 2022, 11:32   #14

Rover 75 Tourer

Can I re-ask the above question on it's own:

If I have a misfire (M47r diesel) ... can I pull the injector plugs as I would the plug leads on an old petrol car to identify the missing cylinder or will it cause some engine or ecu issue?

As you can guess I'm an old car guy (in all ways)🙂

Cheers

K
Old 6th April 2022, 17:17   #15
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If is totally off a cylinder then yes you can but is the smoke burning oil or unburnt diesel? I first would as I said said check it has not got petrol in it then start car and pull dipstick out with engine running if oil pumps out of dipstick hole PCV is blocked

If then all if ok check for air pipe or inter cooler leak if unburnt diesel

Did the injectors have the same part number on the top as the old ones?
Old 9th April 2022, 14:18   #16

Rover 75 Tourer

Talking

Have pulled some diesel and it looks and smells fine .... as a check I did the 'polystyrene test' and my fuel is not contaminated.

Popped over to see Lovel (what a nice guy and we have a few other interests in common)and unfortunately the T4 showed those parameters available to it on a diesel to be in acceptable spec (would have been nice to see a clearly horrible reading on something to draw a line under things ... but when are annoying mysterious faults ever 'nice' !)

I did leave with a number of suggestions which I will check on when the weather clears a bit (typing this with snowflakes the size of biscuits falling thick and fast and my sheds are full of my other random projects/toys so working outside!)

It was really useful to get the T4 readings as they eliminate a whole load of possibles from the list so I can get closer to sorting things.

Many thanks to Lovel and all other members who have suggested things.

If anyone has any sudden flashes of inspiration I'd be glad to hear them

Regards

K
Old 9th April 2022, 14:55   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Only thing I can suggest is to treat it to some decent injector cleaner - Forte is well recommended, or start swapping the injectors over with one of the old ones. It still sounds like you have a spray pattern problem to me even though they are new.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2022, 16:21   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Have you checked properly for a split hose between the EGR and the air cooler by the radiator? Have you got oily residue on the nearside of the engine compartment below the light? You may have an o-ring come out of the air cooler. All the above could cause smoke issues.
Old 9th April 2022, 16:29   #19
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Or has the intercooler got hole in it or damaged? I would carry out an induction smoke test if possible
Old 9th April 2022, 19:44   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Have you checked properly for a split hose between the EGR and the air cooler by the radiator? Have you got oily residue on the nearside of the engine compartment below the light? You may have an o-ring come out of the air cooler. All the above could cause smoke issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Or has the intercooler got hole in it or damaged? I would carry out an induction smoke test if possible

I'd go with both suggestions due to the smoke, but the OP has stated that he also has a miss fire, and that the faults disappear once the engine has warmed up a bit. That would suggest they are related to unburnt diesel, and maybe injector related.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote