Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2022, 07:49   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The supply of SH cars is usually driven by a stream of business owned cars coming onto the market constantly. That did not occur during the pandemic as most businesses were only operating key/critical activities. This, combined with the people having the disposable cash following the initial lockdown means there is an imbalance between supply and demand.

The dealer from whom we purchased our XF offered me the same price as we had paid him six month earlier if I wanted to sell the car back to him. Normally one would have expected to lose £2k+ for such a trade.
Old 17th February 2022, 10:27   #12
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
Mags like Practical Classics say there is a shortage of secondhand stock and this drives prices up. My next door neighbour bought his car (6 months old) 3 years ago and just sold it for what he paid originally (he wasn't doing many miles)! So if you have a newish car maybe worth selling it and getting something older for a couple of years before the market gets back to usual. There seem to be lots of new electric cars about in North London suddenly, mainly Teslas, so I wonder where all the money is coming from to fund them. Lower mileage Rover 75s seem to be offered at high prices at the moment so that must be good news for club members who already own one?
My brother-in-law is doing exactly that. Selling a nearly new Peugeot 308 pretty much for what he paid for it a year ago. Going to try and by a good older used car. Strapped for cash due to having to pay £20k to get his hip done privately. Three years on the NHS waiting list in Scotland and forced to go private due to the pain!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 18:09   #13
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
My brother-in-law is doing exactly that. Selling a nearly new Peugeot 308 pretty much for what he paid for it a year ago. Going to try and by a good older used car. Strapped for cash due to having to pay £20k to get his hip done privately. Three years on the NHS waiting list in Scotland and forced to go private due to the pain!
Wow, and Scotland gets a higher monetary premium for NHS Scotland!

However, Holyrood is much more important than your brother-in-law

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 18:12   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
I think it's down to the unavailability of new cars because of the chip shortage.

Sister decided to buy a new VW Tiguan but the dealer said no delivery date could be given, not even a estimate officially, but unofficially it could be a year or more !!!!!!
Yes, I agree it's more or less down to "chip" shortages now, hence my comment on 'componet' delivery issues.

Kev
Old 17th February 2022, 18:15   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
They were buying cars, actually more than would be normal. No one was going on holiday, buying houses, even just spending money at the pub, so there was extra cash lying around, and without having the big expenditures for about a year (holidays etc), they bought the new car they were planning on buying next year. Add in due to lockdown, no new cars were being made, getting past the docks, never mind delivered to the showrooms (no workers to do anything about it for nearly three months).
I'm only going by the official statistics for new car sales in that they were well down. I can't recall the exact figure but I think it was at least 1/4 million less than the average 2 million pa.

It might be that sales when showrooms were locked down were very low (and of course one couldn't buy a s/h vehicfle unless the seller was from the same household or bubble ;-) ).

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 17th February 2022 at 18:19.. Reason: An aside added.
Old 18th February 2022, 09:18   #16
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

As many said it's the shortage of semi conductors (chips) so not enough new cars can be manufactured coupled with the fact that many people avoid public transport after covid and the increase in disposable income in the first lockdowns and this is the result. Even prices for own cars have gone up no too long ago 75s were practically given away not so much anymore.

I recently had the misfortune of taking my new to me Jaguar S-Type to my local stealer as the car had main dealer service history. Their entire showroom did not have a single new car. My courtesy car was a brand new range rover evoque manual a God awful thing when I asked if they had anything else I could take they said that's about the only new car they could hold of from JLR currently.
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 10:51   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post

I recently had the misfortune of taking my new to me Jaguar S-Type to my local stealer as the car had main dealer service history. Their entire showroom did not have a single new car. My courtesy car was a brand new range rover evoque manual a God awful thing when I asked if they had anything else I could take they said that's about the only new car they could hold of from JLR currently.

You sound like someone who lives on kebabs and doesn't like the taste of lobster or king prawns in garlic butter!

You are fortunate they didn't offer you an XJ575 (supercharged 5.0L V8). That would have been really, really, god awful!

Last edited by MSS; 18th February 2022 at 10:54..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 13:04   #18
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
You sound like someone who lives on kebabs and doesn't like the taste of lobster or king prawns in garlic butter!

You are fortunate they didn't offer you an XJ575 (supercharged 5.0L V8). That would have been really, really, god awful!
Honestly go try a base model FWD evoque manual it's a horrible car defently not worthy of the range rover badge even the dealer said they don't really want them or like them I've driven a D200 auto from a friend and its night and day difference. And I would definitely not compare a160hp base evoque to an XJR575 not even to my 3 litre S type you're right it's like comparing a kebab to a lobster in garlic butter
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 14:51   #19
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
As many said it's the shortage of semi conductors (chips) so not enough new cars can be manufactured coupled with the fact that many people avoid public transport after covid and the increase in disposable income in the first lockdowns and this is the result. Even prices for own cars have gone up no too long ago 75s were practically given away not so much anymore.
Sigh.....I wish my disposable income had increased during the first (or any) lockdown. Pay-out, pay-out, pay-out

Kev
Old 18th February 2022, 15:21   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The answer is.............well you paid for it so you thought it was worth it. Full stop. Don’t like the price. Walk away. Simples. I don’t mean you personally, but anyone who bought..