Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st January 2022, 16:35   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You may know that I am passionate about this genuine thing. If the item is made today by macafee2 engineering that only came into existence 31/01/2022 and put into a rover logo box or sold to an official MGR parts supplier I cannot see how anyone would consider it genuine.

Rover went to the wall years ago, I doubt there will be any filters made and supplied to Rover or their parts supplier when Rover went to the wall into left on the shelves.
OEM and pattern part filters in abundance but genuine???

Genuine commands a higher price, you are paying a higher price for something macafee2 engineering made today, are you happy with that?

It goes back to my question and is really for the OP to make a decision on, what is genuine?

macafee2

The Knetch KC85 in the Rover box or in the Knetch box is genuine and OEM!
Old 1st February 2022, 08:54   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
Is there any member who can recommend a company who can supply these GENUINE filters as a kit or together without trying to rip me off?
I think before answering your question Al, you should explain to us what you consider to be "genuine":

1. A product in MG Rover or X Part branded packaging currently being sold?

2. A company who supplied MGR when it was trading and who continues to offer that product but under their own brand name?

3. "New old stock" (NOS); a product in MG Rover or X Part packaging which was manufactured during the 75/ZT production years and which has been in storage?

If you'd like to clarify please Al it will save an awful lot of posts which may not be relevant to your question!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 1st February 2022 at 09:04.. Reason: A re-think
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 11:12   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Just to join in the conversation on what is ‘genuine ‘. Genuine is what is made by the original maker, not supplier. To be ‘genuine ‘ it must be made to the same standards as ordered by the person procuring such. Therefore I would imagine that if it was made by another company under licence, it must conform to the ‘original manufacturing standards’. It could then be called ‘ of original standard’, therefore ‘original’ I do not know anything about ‘copyright ‘, but I would think that as ‘copyright ‘ only lasts 6/7 years, anyone can make an item to any standards it likes. Somewhere on Utube , I have seen where they tested 5/6 oil filters for construction and filtering ability, You would be surprised at some of the results they found.
Old 5th February 2022, 12:29   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just to join in the conversation on what is ‘genuine ‘. Genuine is what is made by the original maker, not supplier. To be ‘genuine ‘ it must be made to the same standards as ordered by the person procuring such. Therefore I would imagine that if it was made by another company under licence, it must conform to the ‘original manufacturing standards’. It could then be called ‘ of original standard’, therefore ‘original’ I do not know anything about ‘copyright ‘, but I would think that as ‘copyright ‘ only lasts 6/7 years, anyone can make an item to any standards it likes. Somewhere on Utube , I have seen where they tested 5/6 oil filters for construction and filtering ability, You would be surprised at some of the results they found.

David - I've seen some of the videos and agree - there is a lot of rubbish being sold. Hence my comments above, in particular about the fuel filter.

I think rather than getting stuck on whether an item is genuine or not, the buyer needs to be much more intelligent about what he/she is buying and who manufactured/quality controlled it.

Not all genuine items sold by say Ford are made by the original manufacturer of the same items.
Old 6th February 2022, 12:52   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I watched a couple of video’s on the tube last night. Mann,Crossland,Wix and others. The length of the actual filter medium was detached from the filter casing, and the medium from the Mann filter was substantially longer than the Crossland and some of the others. The free flow valve was also looked at and the difference by feel, not by testing was said to be substantial. The difference in the actual sealing at the end of the filter medium was also different. Some were held by a clip, others by just glue. There are several test for oil filters. I just put ‘oil filter tests,’ into my browser.