Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd December 2021, 00:38   #41
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
With some of us, price is by no means crucial. Shops with counters are great for making friends, amongst other things (see below).

Top priority is quality of fresh foods and we shop monthly for the ‘biggie’, the main one being Aldi. ..............

I would have expected quality of friends to be top priority, Wraymond, and that one would be shopping regularly in Waitrose.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:32   #42
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Some things are better in the Co-op although they may cost a little more but I don't buy supermarket meat at all if I can help it I get that from the local butcher round the corner, far better quality and all locally sourced

Russ

We mostly do the same, get meat from the local butcher generally. It costs a bit more, but worth the extra.

A good while since I was last in an Aldi, but they seem to be more or less identical to Lidl - the same layout, similar foodstuffs, similar prices. We have no reason to go to Aldi, with a Lidl almost on our doorstep.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:04   #43
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

That takes me back a bit. I spent some years as a butcher and later district manager and then as a meat inspector in a slaughterhouse. Don't know about the present day but at that time (1960) local bovine carcasses went to all butchers and supermarkets (Sainsbury, Tesco, and Coop) as well as independents.
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:11   #44
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I remember the Co op down the road from me used to sell the near out of date stock in the chiller isle. When my daughter was very little and money was very tight I would wonder down and purchase lots of things like jacket potatoes loaded with chilli for 70p a pop and sausages for 95p etc. A life saver at the time. The store has been refurbished now, doesnt have a broad spectrum of food but handy enough for locals and elderly who dont fancy a few bus rides to do their shopping.
The Aldi up the road offers fantastic quality food at very reasonable prices I must say.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:25   #45
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Aldi and Lidl greedy,I think you are on your own with that one.Keen to offer the customer value for money in their quest to gain a larger share of the market.Yes.
Erm...you have defeated your own point here, with the correct statement that Aldi and Lidl are greedy for a larger share of the market! Just like the Co-op, they are charging the highest prices they reckon they can get away with, in the interests of making the largest profits. But because food retailing is a long-term business, in which they are relatively new arrivals, and their business model positions them at the bargain end of the market, the prices are - for now - lower than other supermarkets (NB the Co-op isn't in direct competition with them anyway, because almost every Co-op is a convenience store rather than a supermarket). They are no more or less greedy than the Co-op! And guess what - this thread shows that plenty of people are prepared to shop at Co-ops. When that changes, the prices will fall, but I'm not holding my breath. Convenience stores - judged to be convenient by 8 out of 10 shoppers
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:35   #46
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
But because food retailing is a long-term business, in which they are relatively new arrivals, and their business model positions them at the bargain end of the market, the prices are - for now - lower than other supermarkets (NB the Co-op isn't in direct competition with them anyway, because almost every Co-op is a convenience store rather than a supermarket). They are no more or less greedy than the Co-op! And guess what - this thread shows that plenty of people are prepared to shop at Co-ops. When that changes, the prices will fall, but I'm not holding my breath. Convenience stores - judged to be convenient by 8 out of 10 shoppers

Aldi/Lidl are not new arrivals they have been around, in the UK, for 25/30 years and have continually expanded the number of stores ever since. I understand they started in Germany post WWII, yet still offer the quality and good prices they began with.

They just have a different business model to the UK supermarkets of cut the frills out and minimise the profit on each line they sell, improve the overall efficiency too. It works, so why would they change the policy? People just want to go in buy the items they need and not pay extra for lots of unnecessary staff a frills.

The coop are indeed greedy, why do they charge so much more for similar products? Why would I want to pay an extra 20% for 2L of the same milk, which I can buy just over the road for 20% less? They only become almost competitive, were I to buy 2x 2L cartons, but then the 2nd one would be off before it was needed and who has space to store 3x 2L cartons? The coop are simply missing a trick, sell cheap, sell lots make more profit.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd December 2021 at 18:38..
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:02   #47
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I wouldn’t want to denigrate the Coop, the history is noble and it has a different ethos to its competitors. The phrase ‘pile it high – sell it cheap’ is not really the best recommendation, is it!

Then, when you see the extent of their operation and their altruistic business dealings with other entities, it sort of takes on a rather different light. Once, it was the only one and served us rather well. Now it has lost its market penetration and some of its appeal but a pound or two on each trolley is a cheap price to pay for the continuing tradition.

They also these days give school leavers and young workers a good grounding in the brave new world of work that follows education. We all ‘need a start’ and the Coop is a good starting point to learn charitable principles.

For me, anyway, a pound or two amounts to payback for my eyes-wide-open childhood introduction to open biscuit tins, canisters sailing across the tramlines in the air to cross the sales floor and the white marble counters with the irresistible smell of loose butter, corned beef and Spam. Oh boy, my keyboard is getting rather damp.
Old 23rd December 2021, 23:03   #48
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Well, it had to happen some day, I suppose.

It's nearly Christmas Eve 2021 and I agree with everything in Wraymond's post. Although I am too young to have benefited form the list in the final paragraph of his post.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 15:33   #49
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I wouldn’t want to denigrate the Coop, the history is noble and it has a different ethos to its competitors. The phrase ‘pile it high – sell it cheap’ is not really the best recommendation, is it!

For me, anyway, a pound or two amounts to payback for my eyes-wide-open childhood introduction to open biscuit tins, canisters sailing across the tramlines in the air to cross the sales floor and the white marble counters with the irresistible smell of loose butter, corned beef and Spam. Oh boy, my keyboard is getting rather damp.

Well, if you don't mind paying the extra pound or two for the warm cosy glow.... I don't suppose it really matters, but I try to live in the present.

Yes, they did have a noble history once upon a time, but things can and do change over such long periods of time and the coop is not the same coop I was sent to as a child. It's just a business like any other.

What I didn't know until an hour ago researching them, was that they also own Nisa. A Nisa opened in the Main St a couple or so years ago, so as you do, I went in to have a wonder round and see what they had to offer. Noticing the inflated prices, I bought nothing and I have not been in since then. It is not so central as the larger coop anyway.

Old 24th December 2021, 16:57   #50
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

We don’t use the Coop, the nearest is too far away to be convenient. Anyway, post EU membership, we’ll see what difference that makes to the alleged and vaunted ‘minimised profits’ blurb. If ever there was a fallacy about trading policy that’s it!

Maybe with the Coop, just maybe, there’s another (and altruistic) trading agenda there with loftier ambition than merely the base greed?
I suppose it’s easy to rationalise financial structures in the absence of a forensic accountant’s gimlet eye, I wish I could do that!

It seems to me that they merely adopted modern marketing principles they learned from a certain Jack Cohen when he opened Tesco. Incidentally, I met him a few times (and his sons) when I was an area supervisor for the firm. Found him impressively charming. There’s an interesting parallel there, but best left alone.

Coop greedy? Why and how? Have we seen their balance sheets?