Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th December 2021, 15:38   #31
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I have no particular view on the EV's, although I have driven one once when my 75 was in for a job! I found it, over 80 miles, boring.

But I can't help wondering about the possibility of a shortage of proficient mechanics to look after the expected number of ICE's in the future. Such excellent people will be commanding fortunes, so, guess what will happen to their hourly rates?

Given the nostalgia factor, the affordability 'new' problem, and the backup in-transit charging facilities, it might just be a lengthy time before the supposed golden era actually materialises.

Most of our motorway filling stations have plenty of pumps available, some with up to 20 or so, and you rarely see a queue. That will be changing drastically when the industry-predicted changeover happens.

Oh, and whilst on the subject, let's not forget the most prolific substance on the planet - Hydrogen. The next revolution already being developed. Now that's a coincidence.
Old 7th December 2021, 18:06   #32
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Why do people buy these batteries on wheels, just don't get it. Is is reminiscent of people buying the early mobile phones, battery life 10 minutes, and microwave radiation enough to cook a full English breakfast, and the obligatory brick size, making a statement I suppose!.

Look the technology is primitive, they are unreliable, too expensive, and the infrastructure is just not there and when they go wrong!!!, well do you want me to draw you pictures.

So why are these selling so well?, I suppose somebody needs to be an experimental victim. If and when the price is right, i.e. cheap, the reliability improves i.e. they don't catch fire whilst they are being charged, and the range increases by a factor of 10, then, maybe I might consider one, or I will be too old to drive myself!.

Why did I buy it? Personal choice, unreliable? I don't know where you get your facts from but that is certainly not the case. Police are finding the tesla evs very good. https://electrek.co/2021/12/07/tesla...trol-car-test/ Again the range is subjective to each persons needs, If it doesn't fit your requirements then it would be pointless you buying one.

They're not one size fits all, they wont suit everyone. I'm not even going there re the fires, google how many ICE car fires there are in a single day around the world compared to EV's. Far cheaper car insurance over my Rover 75 too. I had the one & only opportunity to buy a new car in over 50+ years of driving so I took the BEv because it is a delight to drive, Silent smooth quick, the one pedal driving is superb Did i say silence! Heaven. I love the tech on them & everything else about them.
The cost to run them is cheap as chips & this MG ZS EV with a 162 mile range in Summer & deduct around 15 miles of range for my personal driving style over the Winter months & I'm still only charging it twice a month. Petrol & diesel is going to skyrocket in price when the carbon pricing on road transport kicks in so I'm more than happy getting a "full tank" of electrons for around 4 quid even with the recent surge in electricity prices.

I'm lucky in that we have a good public transport system here where I live with a bus stop five minutes away & the train station a further two minutes away, I use them regular with 60% EV use 40% train & bus use.

Not having to go into a petrol station puts the most smug face you can imagine on my face after 50+ years of paying through the nose for petrol/diesel.

Hydrogen was mentioned in this thread but the cost of that in the UK today is prohibitive at present it's around £9.99/kg the last time I looked, Hydrogen is measured by the kilogram. 1 kilogram is equivalent to 1 gallon of gasoline. Blue hydrogen will have tariffs on it in the EU & UK , only green hydrogen will suffice according to the UK Environmental bill & the EU's 'Fit for 55' standards. Even blue hydrogen with carbon capture will be very expensive compared to battery tech. https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/env...ed-in-new-test

The other big hope of e-fuels/synthetic petrol & diesel has just been found to be no better than ordinary fossil fuels in lab tests.
Porsche & the German government have ploughed €millions into a company in Chile in south America to manufacture synthetic petrol for their Porsche 911's & the rest of their ICE super cars & race series. https://evcentral.com.au/synthetic-p...uel-ambitions/

Production will start next year but the big fly in the ointment with that is the price of the stuff! $4.50-$6.00/ litre

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 7th December 2021 at 20:11..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 19:59   #33
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I do agree that we shouldn't be scrapping cars just to make way for EV's however for as long as I can remember cars have been scrapped and new ones made to replace them.....it's just that now the new ones will have batteries rather then petrol tanks.

I'm curious as to which EV's you've had extensive experience with to form this strong opinion?

The technology is far from primitive, indeed it's now very mature. Just remember that the first cars were electric and that there have been electric cars in one form or another for over a century now. Unlike internal combustion which is now at it's zenith and unlikely to improve EV's will get better however they are already extremely advanced and very usable. Also interesting that you mention fire when in fact EV's are 10 times LESS likely to catch fire then an ICE car. I've had mine for a year and a half and not once has it spontaneously combusted, but maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?
If an electric car does it for you then go with it, in my opinion people are falling over themselves to go electric with little understanding of the full facts, the worry is what exactly is the point of a battery on wheels, the whole thing is reminiscent of the technological advantage the Americans had in Vietnam, they still lost the war, ironically they actually knew they were going to lose 10 years before! Electric cars are an expensive experiment at the moment.

Look, if the planet is to be saved, then Man needs to seriously have a long conversation with himself, electric car is not the answer, but if you can give me an affordable, reliable, etc etc electric car to replace my current 75, then I may consider it, but spending 30K plus on what is an experiment, in order to follow the crowd, is not going to happen.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 11:42   #34
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
If an electric car does it for you then go with it, in my opinion people are falling over themselves to go electric with little understanding of the full facts, the worry is what exactly is the point of a battery on wheels, the whole thing is reminiscent of the technological advantage the Americans had in Vietnam, they still lost the war, ironically they actually knew they were going to lose 10 years before! Electric cars are an expensive experiment at the moment.

Look, if the planet is to be saved, then Man needs to seriously have a long conversation with himself, electric car is not the answer, but if you can give me an affordable, reliable, etc etc electric car to replace my current 75, then I may consider it, but spending 30K plus on what is an experiment, in order to follow the crowd, is not going to happen.

I agree, I think this technology though clever is not suited to how some need and use a car, it will be interesting to see how many of these cars are in the scrapyard in a another 5 to 7 years and how they are going to dispose of the batteries and other components that they are not used to handling.

As much as I agree sadly the ICE using Fossil fuel needs to be replaced I think we are just jumping at something that on the surface appears to work but in truth is no more than a short term stop gap until something better comes along. If they can make Hydrogen work that will be great but I am sure there are some very clever people trying to come up with the next option what ever it maybe or are we going to be limited to travel by the range of our batteries? They will need to come up with something as Fossil fuel wont last forever and aircraft using batteries is not realy an option.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 20:44   #35
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
No one is insisting but many people are being persuaded or influenced into scrapping their perfectly serviceable car by the "it aint worth fixing mate" brigade
If it's perfectly serviceable, why does it need fixing?

And hydrogen is absolutely not the answer for personal vehicles. It does have potential for certain transport uses - trains and ships, and probably buses - but even green hydrogen is never going to feature in the life of the average car owner. I would bet a year's wages on it!
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 20:48   #36
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
how they are going to dispose of the batteries and other components that they are not used to handling.
EV battery recycling is already an enormous business globally, and will grow even bigger in the years ahead
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 09:02   #37
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Most EV manufacturers have signed up to the circular economy digital product passport for end of life batteries after they've had a second life as battery storage units, All batteries from VW cars are brought back to their battery recycling plant for recycling, It comes online next year. There are already batteries being made from reclaimed materials from battery traction packs. Chinese EV manufacturers are doing the same thing too. https://newatlas.com/automotive/vw-r...ries-electric/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 16:48   #38
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I set out to post but in the end I just couldn’t be bothered and deleted what I posted before I hit submit.......

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote