Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2015, 13:43   #51
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Okay, I tried to refrain from commenting, but a law is a law, if it is broken then the perpetrator should be called to account.
Speed limit is that, a limit, not a requirement to drive at that speed.
The roads are fine, the idiotic performers on them cause the problems.
All drivers are idiots, ALL of them, so spend the time you are driving trying to prove you are not one of them.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 13:47   #52
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Okay, I tried to refrain from commenting, but a law is a law, if it is broken then the perpetrator should be called to account.
Speed limit is that, a limit, not a requirement to drive at that speed.
The roads are fine, the idiotic performers on them cause the problems.
All drivers are idiots, ALL of them, so spend the time you are driving trying to prove you are not one of them.
Getting caught at 36 in a 30 limit does not make a driver an idiot per se.

Never exceeding a speed limit doesn't mean a driver isn't one.

Pete
Old 21st February 2015, 14:17   #53
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Ok gents, please help me out of my state of confusion.

I see that snoopers are being presented as a safety aid.

Are speed-limit road signs not sufficient indicators of the maximum speed allowed in a particular area of the road?

I would like to see all visible speed cameras removed - it's pointless having them as they encourage anti-social and dangerous behaviour amongst some drivers who feel the need to "beat the system" by slowing down on the approach to the camera and then speeding up.

All speed cameras should be unmarked and hidden - then they will be an effective deterrent.

Occasionally, if there are visible cameras intended to remind the speeding drivers of the speed limit, they should be followed with randomly placed hidden cameras in order to catch the those who think they are better and smarter than the rest.

Speed cameras should be set to trigger at the actual speed limit but should record the instantaneous and average speed of vehicles to allow for the occasional marginal mishap.

Those with snoopers should have their cars crushed and if the car is not worth much, the process extended to other possessions.

What do you all think?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 14:33   #54
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's a funny old world. We moan about idiots on the road and reluctantly agree that the biggest pests are the reckless speeders that endanger us all.

Government install speed cameras to initially discourage the law breakers by imposing financial and licensing penalties. This has effect, but, due to falling revenues, gets diluted through time so cameras get obscured to catch the unwary. So siting rules are introduced but sufficient leeway allows hidden cameras to continue taking money from the deliberate speeders so everyone calls the government thieves and robbers.

If the true purpose of speed cameras is really to prevent breaking the speed limit, then surely the best way of ensuring that is to give plenty of warning of their presence and make them unmissable! For urban roads there could be twice as many cameras in operation with huge signs 200 yards in advance and periodically every 1000 yards until the built up area gives way to trunk roads/motorways. Then if the intellectually challenged amongst us that have difficulty in remembering the speed limits and blame everybody except themselves for these impositions, get continually fined and lose their licences the rest of us get to drive in much safer circumstances. How about doubling fines and points? Freedom for a man to do what he wants is great. Unfortunately the man next to him with his children on board might not agree. That's why we have laws.

Speeding fines are entirely voluntary, as is voting. If you believe one word of what a politico says during an election period, and at any other time, you are more than likely to want to pay these voluntary excesses on your motoring costs anyway.
Old 21st February 2015, 14:41   #55
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleplod View Post

Pete
Yes, as I said, they are all idiots, just some of them are better drivers, and a lot are bigger ones.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 15:03   #56
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleplod View Post

Pete

Sorry, but I think it does.
I will confess, I too have been done for doing near 40 in 30 limit, and only because I was being a fool.
We have to remember that to be doing 36 with a legal speedometer, we would have have an indicated speed of between 36 & 46, so most likely around 40.
Now if some of us are just too smart to accept that reading, we should at least accept the consequences when we get it wrong.
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 15:21   #57
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Sorry, but I think it does.
Not all the time it doesn't, which was my point.

Do you think that people who never speed are, therefore, not idiots? Some are.

The driver careering between parked cars on a housing estate, within the speed limit, may quite properly be deemed an idiot.

The driver who touches 36 in a 30 limit isn't necessarily an idiot, unless of course you're a follower of the (ironically, idiotic) BRAKE-type mantra that all speed is dangerous. It isn't, otherwise I spent rather a lot of my career being 'dangerous'.

I do agree, though, that once caught, it should be taken on the chin....speeding, that is, not being put in the 'idiot' bracket.....but that's a diferent argument.

Pete

Last edited by milleplod; 21st February 2015 at 15:44..
milleplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 16:37   #58
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Ok gents, please help me out of my state of confusion.

I see that snoopers are being presented as a safety aid.

Are speed-limit road signs not sufficient indicators of the maximum speed allowed in a particular area of the road?

I would like to see all visible speed cameras removed - it's pointless having them as they encourage anti-social and dangerous behaviour amongst some drivers who feel the need to "beat the system" by slowing down on the approach to the camera and then speeding up.

All speed cameras should be unmarked and hidden - then they will be an effective deterrent.

Occasionally, if there are visible cameras intended to remind the speeding drivers of the speed limit, they should be followed with randomly placed hidden cameras in order to catch the those who think they are better and smarter than the rest.

Speed cameras should be set to trigger at the actual speed limit but should record the instantaneous and average speed of vehicles to allow for the occasional marginal mishap.

Those with snoopers should have their cars crushed and if the car is not worth much, the process extended to other possessions.

What do you all think?
Err... I think you are very mss guided! By your logic, everyone who uses a sat nav system which warns motorists of fixed point cameras should also have their car crushed???
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 16:46   #59
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

I think the post was meant to be provocative. No sane person actually thinks like that. Apart from BRAKE....and they're all barmy.

Pete
Old 21st February 2015, 16:58   #60
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Err... I think you are very mss guided! By your logic, everyone who uses a sat nav system which warns motorists of fixed point cameras should also have their car crushed???
Yes - let's add satnav with camera locations to the crusher qualifying criteria as well.

And thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by MSS; 21st February 2015 at 17:02..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote