Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2015, 19:46   #31
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
In a similar vein of the topic...

What are peoples thoughts on the Snoopers? For those unfamiliar with the term, it's usually a sat nav come crash cam come speed camera detector/locator.

As the cameras are usually located in a supposed 'accident hotspots', I'd like to know when I should be extra careful and a Snooper seems like a good option...
I have a snooper tucked into the top of my windscreen, on the plus side it has beeped me when approaching hand held guns at least 4 times, of course I wasn't breaking the speed limit at the time on the downside, It picks up all sorts of other signals at petrol stations, traffic lights, and now even some cars, presumably those with some form of proximity sensors, so it can be a bit annoying in town... but overall, worth it I feel.
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 19:51   #32
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

That is not the reason lorries overtake when there is a 50 mph or other limit. The reason is that they have a tachograph in the cab, and every twelve months when they have a MOT, the tachograph is calibrated to be accurate speed. Therefore when you are doing 50mph in your car, the actual speed you are doing is probably more like 45/6 mph.
Old 20th February 2015, 19:54   #33
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
That's fine on carriage ways but on a motorway there is no need for the above as all cars travel in the same direction ie no oncoming traffic.

Still don't get why there has to be an excuse for speeding. There is none............................

We can all blame the cameras for being a dumb spot check but...............it is still you that pushes the throttle pedal .....

And no, I don't say I never speed cause I do, but....................it's a calculated risk that one takes
There IS an EXCUSE------NOBODY is PERFECT.
The government seeks PERFECTION but this they know is unattainable by 99% of the population so they are on a WINNER>-- Cunning or what????
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 19:56   #34
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Not much info there on the ABD website. Minus the cost of running them I don't think it's even a fraction of what people think.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 19:57   #35
bl52krz
This is my second home

It is a bit like the 80mph that they are now talking about again.A bit like smoke and mirrors.
Old 20th February 2015, 19:57   #36
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
I have a snooper tucked into the top of my windscreen, on the plus side it has beeped me when approaching hand held guns at least 4 times, of course I wasn't breaking the speed limit at the time on the downside, It picks up all sorts of other signals at petrol stations, traffic lights, and now even some cars, presumably those with some form of proximity sensors, so it can be a bit annoying in town... but overall, worth it I feel.
I live in France.

If you used that Snooper in France you can have your car taken and crushed and you could end up in clink.--

Remember that if you ever come over for a holiday.--

( Mind you, we only have 4,000 cameras in a country twice the size of Britain ) But all the gendarmes have GUNS so if they say Stop you do.--Aaaah
Old 20th February 2015, 19:58   #37
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Default 'Stealth' cameras to be banned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I really must put in my two pen'orth here. Lol

Speed cameras are too instantaneous.

My driving started at the time there were no speed limits or cameras.

The police car or bike would follow you for 3/10's of a mile to give you a chance to take your eyes off the road and look at your speedo. You would then correct your speed.

Nobody is perfect and looks at the speedo ALL of the time cos you'd crash if you did.

There are also many other distractions that would alter your speed.

The law at the time was applied sensibly and you were fairly treated.

Now however you get ZERO tolerance from a camera. Politicians expect all car drivers to behave perfectly they way that they do in parliament. Lol.

NO; as others have said it was a brilliant way of taking in LOTS of money to boost their pension funds--so why not.--

The governments policy is-------When all else fails, Sting The Motorist.

PS. And I really hate those goody goodies who say Don't Speed. ( As if they have never ever accidentely gone above the posted speed limit themselves. )

Colvert ( Old man's RANT over. )--

Whilst you do have a point, I would think in most cases, it would be difficult to "accidentally" exceed the speed limit.
We all know how inaccurate speedometer's are, and this is all to our advantage, because when we are traveling at a true 50mph our speedometer can read anything up to 60mph, but not a single mile under 50. Because of this manufacturers intentionally cause our speedo to read fast.
Of course we all know how to get an accurate speed reading, but if we then accidentally drift over the limit, we have no one to blame but ourselves. After all, it is a speed limit, and not a suggested speed.
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 20:04   #38
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Ooooh !!! You Nit Picker----

But I like you---

Cos you're another speed limit breaking biker.--( Mines a Honda CB 1,000R )
I take it that you mean on the M1 when it first opened. I raced down there on a motorbike at illegal speed now. The good old days.
Old 20th February 2015, 20:13   #39
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Whilst you do have a point, I would think in most cases, it would be difficult to "accidentally" exceed the speed limit.
We all know how inaccurate speedometer's are, and this is all to our advantage, because when we are traveling at a true 50mph our speedometer can read anything up to 60mph, but not a single mile under 50. Because of this manufacturers intentionally cause our speedo to read fast.
Of course we all know how to get an accurate speed reading, but if we then accidentally drift over the limit, we have no one to blame but ourselves. After all, it is a speed limit, and not a suggested speed.
Of course what you say is fairly true but------you are driving home and

1/ You've just been told you have cancer.

2/ You just had a phone call to say your wife has been involved in a car crash.

3/ You've just been told by your girlfriend she doesn't want to see you again.

4/ Your wife has just found out about the other woman.

5/ The list can go on and on and very easily result in you driving too fast.-

We are all weak human beings and fallible and those in power know how to exploit this as they have done from the beginning of time. ( I know, let's invent Speed cameras. )

Doom doom, we're all lost.

Colvert--- Exit left.
Old 20th February 2015, 20:17   #40
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I take it that you mean on the M1 when it first opened. I raced down there on a motorbike at illegal speed now. The good old days.
Even before.

I started going at any old speed ( And that was Legal ) from 1956 up to the introduction of the 70 limit.--