Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2014, 14:51   #1
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Default Diesel fuel problems....

Hi all, had a new fuel tank pump fitted during week, which has turned out to be a bit 'iffy'.... i.e not always working! Bigger problem though is that when pumps are turned off, all fuel drains back into the fuel tank, making starting a nightmare, had to clear air from injectors to get it started just now.
Does anyone know why fuel is draining back into tank... you can hear it rushing back as soon as engine turned off, I'm sure the whole fuel system shouldn't empty??
Any help pointers / advice... ZT diesel, 2003, twin pump.
Both pumps working at present, just the lack of fuel once you turn off engine... :-(
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 15:22   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Hi all, had a new fuel tank pump fitted during week, which has turned out to be a bit 'iffy'.... i.e not always working! Bigger problem though is that when pumps are turned off, all fuel drains back into the fuel tank, making starting a nightmare, had to clear air from injectors to get it started just now.
Does anyone know why fuel is draining back into tank... you can hear it rushing back as soon as engine turned off, I'm sure the whole fuel system shouldn't empty??
Any help pointers / advice... ZT diesel, 2003, twin pump.
Both pumps working at present, just the lack of fuel once you turn off engine... :-(
Not much help, however....

The only way it can drain back down, is if there is air getting in at the high point of the fuel system. If air can get in, fuel should be able to get out - which would be obvious, but you are not mentioning any leaks. Have you had the engine cover off and checked?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 15:30   #3
Darkxs
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 CDT Mk1

My first step would be to check all fuel pipes and connectors and most certainly I'd look again at the fuel pump to see if it's been fitted correctly and all connectors fitted correctly.

Einhundertsechzig
Darkxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 15:33   #4
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Hi, yes, cover was off to get car started earlier today via assistance... lots of air in system, had to remove 2 injectors and wait for fuel to get through with pumps running before I could get car going.... there s fuel there, just not after ignition is switched off. No apparent leaks in engine bay or under car....
Old 12th October 2014, 15:35   #5
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Hi, anyone have a decent schematic of the tank system? Best I have is the Rimmer Bros parts diagram, nothing in Haynes... no idea if the whole assembly was put back together correctly, although fault code for pump had cleared and car did do 70 - 80 miles on 2 trips before problem started...
Old 12th October 2014, 15:44   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Hi, anyone have a decent schematic of the tank system? Best I have is the Rimmer Bros parts diagram, nothing in Haynes... no idea if the whole assembly was put back together correctly, although fault code for pump had cleared and car did do 70 - 80 miles on 2 trips before problem started...
I think t-cut made a diagram, but it was mostly intended to explain how the fuel system worked.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 22:29   #7
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Well finally got fixed today..... the new In tank fuel pump I purchased kept cutting out, not least on the way home from work tonight... so this was replaced by the supplier. In for a penny, I also bought and replaced the under bonnet pump when I got home, as both parts arrived today. When changing the in tank pump, I found the garage, who charged me £140 in labour, had not fitted the fuel pump filter, supplied with the pump, and had also not relocated the fuel intake plastic unit correctly into it's position. Anyhow, with all jobs done in one hit, we look to be back on track and starting without hitch.... Wish I hadn't bothered with the garage though.... it was the fault code that threw me, P1260, which was not vehicle immobilised, but a low fuel pressure indication. Thanks as always to everyone who helped, especially Phil T4, who gave me the correct fault code explanation, albeit after I had the car towed away... Bu""er!!