Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2011, 20:12   #21
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Would somebody please tell me why this idea won't work.

( Ram air all the time whether your car is moving or not. No need to rely of variable wind pressure as your speed changes. )
There is already one fitted, just behind the engine under the air filter

Or add a supercharger like VW did. The problem with a fan type one is that it restricts more air than it can pump in. the size weight and power it uses is counter active.
Fitting a bigger intercooler is far more effective. Cooler air is more dense, and more can be forced into the cylinders..
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:11   #22
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Bump... still thinking about this...!

Any links to this stuff?
Sorry mate missed the thread for a bit.

Not directly but through talking to Keith as he was showing me his spare hood and wind pressure gauge along with how to work out where and how to put a vent in to force air in to the upward facing Shannon tube without water going in as well as air when it rained.
It seems a very precise science.

A vent in the low pressure area in front of the windscreen allows hot air to escape the engine bat facilitating the cooling of the engine and a flow of air in to the cabin via pollen filter.
A vent in a high pressure area will force air in to the engine bay.
Like the jaguar xf flutes.
I think thats right

Bit too much science for me

Regards. Steve.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:24   #23
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
-----------------------------

I was looking at twin fans whilst doing My Fan rebuild .. there is a fan thread that shows a twin fans setup on "tother side"..

Still may well go that way !! when I' ve got my X19 sold off ..

Chris.
Fitted a smaller single fan on mine years ago and never had a problem.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:42   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
There is already one fitted, just behind the engine under the air filter

Or add a supercharger like VW did. The problem with a fan type one is that it restricts more air than it can pump in. the size weight and power it uses is counter active.
Fitting a bigger intercooler is far more effective. Cooler air is more dense, and more can be forced into the cylinders..
I think we might be talking at crossed purposes here.

I meant supply air to the air filter housing as an additional feed to the turbo and not just depend on atmospheric air pressure which at max is only 14 psi.
( Assuming a perfect vacuum generated by the turbo. )

If you can supply more than the normal supply to the turbo does this not allow you to put more air into the engine ???

Last edited by COLVERT; 30th September 2011 at 20:30..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:53   #25
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
I think we might be talking at crossed perposes here.

I meant supply air to the air filter housing as an additional feed to the turbo and not just depend on atmospheric air pressure which at max is only 14 psi.( Assuming a perfect vacuum generated by the turbo. )

If you can supply more than the normal supply to the turbo does this not allow you to put more air into the engine ???
No we are talking about the same thing. VW did use one to force feed the other, I think the S/charger fed the turbo. I know guys tried this on some Alfa's and the atmospheric pressure was still as good when the airways were open. The Cobra I raced had a air scoop on the bonnet, and that did work. Until it rained then, the car died.
Unless the fan can turn as fast as the turbo, it does restrict the air flow though.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:08   #26
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Interesting but can anyone tell me if cold air into a diesel has much of a beneficial effect? I understand that the Maf has a reaction to the temperature of the incoming air and compensates automatically? (Might not apply to a Synergy though)!
Does the MAF not measure the quantity of air rather than the temp.?

Having stayed in a city 2000 meters above sea level, I know the effect this has on the air density, and the colder the air the more dense it is as well. I have had a few diesels without an intercooler and a few without a turbo, both went significantly better in cold weather and a lot better at sea level. The more air the bigger the bang I suppose.
Old 29th September 2011, 20:55   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Does the MAF not measure the quantity of air rather than the temp.?
I thought that to determine the quantity i.e. mass of the air the MAF has to measure the flow and the temperature.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 29th September 2011 at 21:03..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 21:16   #28
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The MAF measures both temp and mass flow..

Fans become obsolete once you exceed appox 30 mph...

The turbo on our cars really whacks out some pressure, watch the big pipe swell up when the engine starts! I don't think we need any more pressure!
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 20:27   #29
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
The MAF measures both temp and mass flow..

Fans become obsolete once you exceed appox 30 mph...

The turbo on our cars really whacks out some pressure, watch the big pipe swell up when the engine starts! I don't think we need any more pressure!
James. I find I'm fascinated by this subject and want to know more.

I can vaguely remember my Physics I learned at school.

If a turbo is sucking in air and pressurising it, is the maximum air it can take in governed by atmospheric pressure ???

Without any mechanical assistance, such as the car moving forward, does the air flowing into a perfect vacuum reach a maximum of 14 psi and no more ??

If the turbo wants more does this maximum pressure available limit the turbo's output ??

What pressure does the turbo reach at maximum revs ?? Is it more than 14 psi ??

If a car depends on RAM AIR how fast does it have to go before any real benefit is achieved.

These and many more questions MAY be answered in the fullness of time. Lol.

Colvert. PS. Just looked at your public profile. You are REALLY old !!! lol.

Last edited by COLVERT; 30th September 2011 at 20:32..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 20:48   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
James. I find I'm fascinated by this subject and want to know more.

I can vaguely remember my Physics I learned at school.

If a turbo is sucking in air and pressurising it, is the maximum air it can take in governed by atmospheric pressure ???

Without any mechanical assistance, such as the car moving forward, does the air flowing into a perfect vacuum reach a maximum of 14 psi and no more ??

If the turbo wants more does this maximum pressure available limit the turbo's output ??

What pressure does the turbo reach at maximum revs ?? Is it more than 14 psi ??

If a car depends on RAM AIR how fast does it have to go before any real benefit is achieved.

These and many more questions MAY be answered in the fullness of time. Lol.

Colvert. PS. Just looked at your public profile. You are REALLY old !!! lol.
The turbo can only pump air into the engine, if it can get enough air at its input. As the input pressure falls due to the turbo's demand, so will the output pressure fall. If it falls enough, there will be a vacuum at the input.

Block the intake to a vacuum cleaner and the motor will spin faster, because its fan blades are spinning in a partial vacuum - rather than the slower you would expect, because it is trying to work harder.

Normal atmospheric air pressure is around 14psi or 1 bar. The turbo is designed to boost this to a higher pressure.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote