Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2017, 09:49   #31
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I have seen very old Seddon Atkinsons and ERF's in North Africa belching enough smoke to block the sun.

You don't have to go as far as North Africa. I was in the Ukraine during the summer and all their vehicles "belch" smoke - the petrol ones included...
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 09:59   #32
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think all this talk of diesels and scrappage schemes are cloudy the issue a little. It all comes down to quality of living. Do we want clean air in cities and if so how do we go about it?
Remember plans like this are a means to an end not an end in itself.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 10:00   #33
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

There's still a lot of us with petrol variants of this fine marque.
I've never been a fan of oil burners but I sympathise with high annual mileage users.

This thread is scaremongering to say the least.
We would entering a totalitarianism state if the title became a reality

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 10:04   #34
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
The Lightning was still in service during the early part of my RAF career. Rumour had it that if the reheat was lit after a mid-air refuel it would still be accelerating when the tanks ran dry again. Probably an urban myth, but I wouldn't be astounded if it was true.
Did you ever work on them? Only reason i ask i used to work with a couple of chaps who did so at binbrook. Less than complimentary about to say the least. reckoned they were a complete PITA to work on and were chronically unreliable.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 10:30   #35
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Default Don't worry just yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

With Diesel cars in the limelight at the moment, is it worth investing in our cars,
Could the government bring in a compulsory scrappage scheme for Diesel cars over a certain age, and that could mean ours for sure?

Concerned

Rev
As far as I see it at the moment, the scrapppage scheme would not come in to effect until at least they are banned for use in ultra low Emission Zones such as Central London, I would assume therefore that any
Diesel car that does not meet euro 6 spec or higher will be affected (I believe the CDT/CDTi is euro 4)

As our cars get older they will fall more in to classic status and as we are members of an organised club then we can lobby for exemptions to be made , using such arguments such as limited mileage, well maintained etc,etc. I fully expect that this subject is already being talked about in classic circles and I dont think there will be any cause for a knee jerk reaction. I am sure that the Federation of British historic vehicle clubs (FBHVC) are keeping a keen eye on developments.

The thing that concerns me is Joe public's' response to the media stories that will no doubt be demonising Diesels, it is of course the really dirty examples that all give us a bad name, you know the ones that belch out loads of black smoke, it is these examples that give us all a bad name, not to mention those who De-cat their vehicles.

It is of course up to all of us Diesel owners to ensure that our cars are running as clean as possible, with MAF and DPF operating they should.

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:41   #36
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Did you ever work on them? Only reason i ask i used to work with a couple of chaps who did so at binbrook. Less than complimentary about to say the least. reckoned they were a complete PITA to work on and were chronically unreliable.
I was an electronics technician working on ground based radar and communications equipment amongst a host of other things, but not on aircraft. From the late 70s through to the early 80s I was stationed on the Lincolnshire coast at RAF North Coates, which was only a few miles from Binbrook - both stations are long since closed. I certainly heard stories about their unreliability as well as the fact that they could be a pain to work on - particularly the engines because they sat one on top of the other.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote